Mike Reilly won't sign with CBJ

KeithBWhittington

Going North
Jun 14, 2003
Brick by Brick
Visit site
Either way, those of you that know me have seen me comment endlessly on Twitter or Facebook about this, so my opinion is well known, in closing, I wish Reilly has similar success in the NHL that his dad had as a player ;)

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Im willing to bet almost all of you would choose the same path given the opportunity. Its kind of a bogus rule, but players leave teams for free agency ALL the time, its really no different. It just makes you have to rethink who you take in the college ranks until they change this rule.

I'm sure someone can chime in with the stats (Mayor Bee? :) ) but one thing to keep in mind is that we are taking about a 4th round pick here. Being picked in the 4th round it's a pretty good indication you are a long shot to make the NHL and are expected to need years to develop. I'm not aware of many, any?, 4th round picks that have come this far in their development to where they would be considered a first round talent. Most high picks sign with their draft teams regardless of college or CHL or Europe provided the draft team wants them. Clearly Hayes and Schultz are exceptions.

As a later round pick this ends up being a great option but he did lose out on multiple years of potential earnings. That isn't typical of a higher round pick that wants to play pro. If they want to go pro sooner than later they have to sign with their draft team. To wait 4 years for UFA status, again, I'm talking high picks, indicates something significant is amiss between the parties. The rule sucked for us now but it balances the lost revenue said player may have lost for waiting 4 years. Go where you think best....

Time to move on.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
With his dad being a minority owner of the Wild, money doesnt seem to be an issue for him, which allowed him to not worry his earnings and develop in school. Its usually still isolated incidents, but its always a possibility.

And remember Joey congratulating our 2nd line center for Dubi? I remember hearing he was friends Reilly, so it was probably a fun jab

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
I'm sure someone can chime in with the stats (Mayor Bee? :) ) but one thing to keep in mind is that we are taking about a 4th round pick here. Being picked in the 4th round it's a pretty good indication you are a long shot to make the NHL and are expected to need years to develop. I'm not aware of many, any?, 4th round picks that have come this far in their development to where they would be considered a first round talent. Most high picks sign with their draft teams regardless of college or CHL or Europe provided the draft team wants them. Clearly Hayes and Schultz are exceptions.

As a later round pick this ends up being a great option but he did lose out on multiple years of potential earnings. That isn't typical of a higher round pick that wants to play pro. If they want to go pro sooner than later they have to sign with their draft team. To wait 4 years for UFA status, again, I'm talking high picks, indicates something significant is amiss between the parties. The rule sucked for us now but it balances the lost revenue said player may have lost for waiting 4 years. Go where you think best....

Time to move on.

It's not a ton of fourth-rounders, and it's tough to quantify simply because we're talking about "considered 1st-rounder" four years down the road.

By my reckoning, here's the list.

2000 - none; Lubomir Visnovsky was 24 when he was drafted
2001 - Ray Emery, Christian Ehrhoff, possibly Jordin Tootoo
2002 - Tom Gilbert
2003 - Kyle Quincey
2004 - Ryan Callahan
2005 - Keith Yandle, possibly Niklas Hjalmarsson
2006 - James Reimer
2007 - Matt Frattin
2008 - Gustav Nyquist, probably Braden Holtby
2009 - Sami Vatanen, Marcus Foligno, Craig Smith

Only a couple of those guys were college players at all, so they're not really comparable.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
How is Hjalmarsson a possibly on that list lol

He was drafted in 2005, so we're talking about the 2009 draft. He'd played most of his pro time in the AHL to that point, and the defensemen who went in the first round that year were Hedman, Ekman-Larsson, Cowen, Ellis, de Haan, Kulikov, Leddy, Rundblad, Moore, Erixon, and Despres.

Offense was in the game and offensive defensemen were coming back in. Nine teams had power play percentages of over 20% in that season, and the two of those teams that missed the playoffs just barely missed and had lost a ton of talent in the previous season.

Hjalmarsson wasn't and still isn't an offensive defenseman. Washington, meanwhile, was getting 31 goals out of Mike Green, and the consensus top defensemen in the game (Green, Weber, Boyle, Lidstrom, Chara, Streit, Markov) were all power play aces. Spending a first-rounder on a defenseman who had absolutely zero offensive upside would have been questionable at that time.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Reilly is apparently down to Chicago, Minnesota and Los Angeles. Most think Chicago has been his preferred destination all along.
From Puck Rakers

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
If he has his choice why not Chicago? Get to learn from Keith & Seabrook, apparent contender for a few years to come, nice city, good coach.

elmariachi227

Aug 27, 2012
Cleveland
Yea, Chicago could be a perennial at this point and if the dude thinks he can produce on that sheet of ice, and Chicago agrees, why not go for it?

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Could honestly see it being L.A. They're also recent multi Stanley Cup winners, and developing alongside Drew Doughty, a superstar RHD at the ripe old age of 25, would have to draw some interest.

Kid seems meant for Hollywood anyway.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I hope it is Minny or LA. The Chicago fans would do an immediate about-face on the college issue.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
wow

Michael Russo ‏@Russostrib 50s51 seconds ago
BREAKING: Former #Gophers defenseman Mike Reilly has chosen the #mnwild, per sources

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
wow

Michael Russo ‏@Russostrib 50s51 seconds ago
BREAKING: Former #Gophers defenseman Mike Reilly has chosen the #mnwild, per sources
Well. Between this and Suter, that cements them as my most-hated team in the NHL, bar none.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
EJ Hradek ‏@EJHradek_NHL 2m2 minutes ago
Minnesota native Mike Reilly opts to sign with the Wild. Talented young puck-moving D. Hearing that the Penguins were the runner-up

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad