Mike Reilly won't sign with CBJ

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I liked it tbh. Shows character. We have a right to feel spurned. Reilly has been in the locker room with those guys before, they know him, and Reilly said no thanks. I'd be pissed too.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Wait, now. Captain America got married on July 4?

89855025.jpg.12934.0_display_image.jpg

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Do the Jackets get a compensatory pick

or are we just SOL?

I'm thinking we are SOL, so add Reilly to a list that includes Keil McLeod and that complete ass/ Stanley Cup champ Jeff Carter.

What sucks the most about Reilly is he had a much greater chance of contributing this year with the CBJ then he will with the Wild.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
or are we just SOL?

I'm thinking we are SOL, so add Reilly to a list that includes Keil McLeod and that complete ass/ Stanley Cup champ Jeff Carter.

What sucks the most about Reilly is he had a much greater chance of contributing this year with the CBJ then he will with the Wild.

We're SOL. Only first rounders get compensation.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
I believe it is his normal 4th of July attire. He got into something more comfortable after his wedding.

ernmorris

Jun 9, 2008
I was as pi$$ed as anyone that Reilly didn't sign with us, but in hindsight I think it may have been the best thing. Don't get me wrong - I don't like losing good talent (and especially for nothing, but that's a CBA conversation for another day) and had he signed here I'm sure that everything would have been fine.

Look at how a kid like Dano has handled his exit from the CBJ over the last few days. With complete class - he's saying his thank you's, posting on social media and even showing up at seven camp to talk to people. You can see he is completely grateful for the CBJ drafting him and with being allowed an opportunity to play in the NHL.

Whereas you have a kid like Reilly who handled his free agency like a Lebron-like " The Decision" reality TV show. It's not a right to play in the NHL, but you don't get that sense from him. He almost seems like he is the next great one with how he has gone about this whole situation. And what has he done to earn that? Heck, at least Lebron had played in the NBA and had taken his team to the finals once. Reilly can't even say that.

I think it speaks volumes that our players have spoken out about him. The hockey community is a small one and how dare he turn his back on those that have helped him in the past. Good for them for speaking out.

Now I don't know this kid any better than I know anyone here on this message board. I can only build my opinion based on what I've seen. People like to call RyJo a diva - well this kid screams spoiled brat-diva 100 times more than RyJo from what I've seen. And maybe it's not necessarily a bad thing that he signed elsewhere. That's my 2 cents.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
I was as pi$$ed as anyone that Reilly didn't sign with us, but in hindsight I think it may have been the best thing. Don't get me wrong - I don't like losing good talent (and especially for nothing, but that's a CBA conversation for another day) and had he signed here I'm sure that everything would have been fine.

Look at how a kid like Dano has handled his exit from the CBJ over the last few days. With complete class - he's saying his thank you's, posting on social media and even showing up at seven camp to talk to people. You can see he is completely grateful for the CBJ drafting him and with being allowed an opportunity to play in the NHL.

Whereas you have a kid like Reilly who handled his free agency like a Lebron-like " The Decision" reality TV show. It's not a right to play in the NHL, but you don't get that sense from him. He almost seems like he is the next great one with how he has gone about this whole situation. And what has he done to earn that? Heck, at least Lebron had played in the NBA and had taken his team to the finals once. Reilly can't even say that.

I think it speaks volumes that our players have spoken out about him. The hockey community is a small one and how dare he turn his back on those that have helped him in the past. Good for them for speaking out.

Now I don't know this kid any better than I know anyone here on this message board. I can only build my opinion based on what I've seen. People like to call RyJo a diva - well this kid screams spoiled brat-diva 100 times more than RyJo from what I've seen. And maybe it's not necessarily a bad thing that he signed elsewhere. That's my 2 cents.

I think he might have handled it a little immaturely. Not sure I'd call him a Diva. I think he knew pretty much all along he wanted to play for his hometown daddy's team. I think he was more like an immature teenager breaking up with his current girlfriend. "Well...I don't know that I want to break-up...but maybe just take a break from each other for a little while and see what happens." He just didn't want to completely break-up until he was sure the new girl was interested. I'm pretty sure the Wild weren't able to talk to him until he was an UFA, which is probably why the CBJ got dragged along as long as they did.

The Dano comparison's not really apples to apples. Dano had no choice in the matter. He was traded away and not by his request. I'm sure he'd developed a pretty good relationship with the locker room while here and wanted express his appreciation for that.

As for Dubi/Ryjo, I didn't mind the tweets. I understand they probably came of as childish and sore loser like, but I love that we have guys who care about playing here in Columbus. I guess Saturday was Jack Johnson's wedding (I gather from posts here) and it was the 4th of July, and these guys minds are on next season. A 180 turnaround from four years ago when half the locker room probably wished they were Reilly and had the right to choose to play for another NHL team.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
What some call being a Diva or immature I call experience.
Look the CBJ drafted him in the 4th round with no intent of signing him then (too small). After that he blossomed and the CBJ treated him well but he stayed in school. With his family background (in NHL) at some point he likely understood that he could become a free agent if he waited 3 years. So he waited, he took that risk of potentially getting hurt.
Sure he could have come out and said "I don't want to play for the CBJ" and who knows maybe he knew all along he would sign with Minny. But the recruiting process is fascinating for anyone, especially a young man like him - talk to anyone recruited to college and every team makes them feel like the key to the system. So getting woo'ed by Chicago, LA Kings, Wild, CBJ, etc had to be a thrill.

I've said many times in this thread I'd be surprised if he played in the NHL next season (maybe I'm wrong), maybe he will never make it into a NHL game? But I see no reason to criticize a kid for going thru the process. If the CBJ wanted to invest a signing bonus into a 5'6, 140# d-man out of high school they probably could have signed him when drafted, but they had no interest they wanted him to develop in college and that's exactly what he did.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Would be nice if Dubi gets to line Reilly up along the boards during a game.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
What some call being a Diva or immature I call experience.
Look the CBJ drafted him in the 4th round with no intent of signing him then (too small). After that he blossomed and the CBJ treated him well but he stayed in school. With his family background (in NHL) at some point he likely understood that he could become a free agent if he waited 3 years. So he waited, he took that risk of potentially getting hurt.
Sure he could have come out and said "I don't want to play for the CBJ" and who knows maybe he knew all along he would sign with Minny. But the recruiting process is fascinating for anyone, especially a young man like him - talk to anyone recruited to college and every team makes them feel like the key to the system. So getting woo'ed by Chicago, LA Kings, Wild, CBJ, etc had to be a thrill.

I've said many times in this thread I'd be surprised if he played in the NHL next season (maybe I'm wrong), maybe he will never make it into a NHL game? But I see no reason to criticize a kid for going thru the process. If the CBJ wanted to invest a signing bonus into a 5'6, 140# d-man out of high school they probably could have signed him when drafted, but they had no interest they wanted him to develop in college and that's exactly what he did.

So...did you feel he was being sincere when he said that he was still considering Columbus after he declared he was going to test UFA market? Personally, I was 99.9% confident that CBJ were out of running once he decided not to sign prior to the end of the season when he was able to burn a year of his ELC. Just dragging it out to be "wooed" doesn't seem mature to me. The CBJ wooing was drafting him, developmental camps over the years, college hockey game visits by CBJ management, CBJ locker room/player visits, and the CBJ offer to burn a year off his ELC. There's no way in my mind he was still thinking of signing with CBJ after season ended and have no idea what other "wooing" he wanted from the CBJ at that point.

However, the CBA did give him the right to sign with whatever team he wanted to. I don't think he's a big loss to us. Just wasn't a fan of his process.

Last edited:

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
So...did you feel he was being sincere when he said that he was still considering Columbus after he declared he was going to test UFA market? Personally, I was 99.9% confident that CBJ were out of running once he decided not to sign prior to the end of the season when he was able to burn a year of his ELC. Just dragging it out to be "wooed" doesn't seem mature to me. The CBJ wooing was drafting him, developmental camps over the years, college hockey game visits by CBJ management, CBJ locker room/player visits, and the CBJ offer to burn a year off his ELC. There's no way in my mind he was still thinking of signing with CBJ after season ended and have no idea what other "wooing" he wanted from the CBJ at that point.

However, the CBA did give him the right to sign with whatever team he wanted to. I don't think he's a big loss to us. Just wasn't a fan of his process.

I think it's a little too easy to say I was 99.9% sure he wasn't signing here. I imagine he was still considering it on some level.

But at this level it's a zero sum game. None of the Jackets players' tweets were any more childish than playing a game for a living. He gets to deal with how he handled it in regards to how other professional players feel about it and there isn't anything wrong with that. Too bad Dubi deleted his tweets!

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
I have no problem how he handled it. He was a free agent -- free agents get "wooed." That's that thing.

Still, I hope that however his career goes the CBJ are always at least one step above where he is.

The tweets were amusing.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
I think it's a little too easy to say I was 99.9% sure he wasn't signing here. I imagine he was still considering it on some level.

But at this level it's a zero sum game. None of the Jackets players' tweets were any more childish than playing a game for a living. He gets to deal with how he handled it in regards to how other professional players feel about it and there isn't anything wrong with that. Too bad Dubi deleted his tweets!

For the first part, I never saw anything from him that indicated he ever wanted to be here, but as to the second part i'd imagine you are correct. I would have to guess it was a very slight consideration though. He just never gave of any other vibe to me other than meh at best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad