WEEI Mike Milbury says Bruins should seriously consider trading Patrice Bergeron and/or Brad Marchand

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
You only deal Marchand if you are hopeless

this crappy horrible team we have is on a 100 point pace and about to add IMO a top 5 goalie to an already very good group

they aren’t hopeless

but there is probably only one deal I could see and that’s Colorado

they are excellent and McKinnon and Marchand are homies who work out in summers when he goes home

and I have to have a Godfather deal

have to have Newhook & Byrum

I would add lesser picks and players prospects but I got to walk away with both

Sakic probably says no anyways

otherwise 0.0 I deal him

Reactions: smack66

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
Absolutely yes to trading both of them. They deserve better.

Bruins IMO look fairly similar to Sens a while ago, having Charlie+Pasta. (Chabot+Tkachuk)

Easy to build around, even though the near future is very, very grim.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Its too early, I still believe in this core. If Rask comes back his old self we'll have a shot at winning. If Krejci comes back, and if we get a good return for Debrusk, things could look real good.
IF Bobby Orr would be younger we would have a better chance.

Reactions: The National

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
How often does a team trade their top two iconic players, one of whom is still in their prime, to start a rebuild? I can’t think of it happening very often recently. Chicago obviously didn’t. I’m sure there are a few examples but to the level of these two? Help me understand the thought process

Off the top of my head, only the 1975-76 NYR
trading Park and Ratelle. That didn't work out well
for them...lol.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
To me Bergy is the textbook one franchise player and I can't see him ever playing for anyone else.

With Marchand I've said for awhile that as a GM I'd leave it up to him. If he wanted to go elsewhere to chase another Cup I'd support and facilitate that, because at this point he owes the Bruins nothing and the return could help this team immensely if handled properly. But equally if he wanted to stay then I'd never shift him against his will. That would be all kinds of wrong. My gut says he'll stick around, but you never know.

Only way I trade Bergeron is if they are out of the
PO picture, Sweeney is already gone, you get
a top 6 or top 4 D man in return, #37 promises to return or retire and you don't trade Marchand. If they trade Marchand instead, I think Bergeron retires or moves on. That is a lot of ifs.

I don't know whom Bergeron would go to and what you
could get. NYR, TB, COL? Would NYR trade KK for #37++?
Lots of Rags fans questioning him.

TB trade Cernak and Joseph for Bergeron and Carlo?

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site

this crappy horrible team we have is on a 100 point pace and about to add IMO a top 5 goalie to an already very good group

they aren’t hopeless

they are excellent and McKinnon and Marchand are homies who work out in summers when he goes home

otherwise 0.0 I deal him

this crappy horrible team we have still sucks.

Net is questionable, one line that's an offensive threat, and a pile of bottom pairing guys on D who will get steam rolled in the playoffs (if they make it that far)

the only saving grace this team has is the fact that the league is about as watered down as i can ever remember it.

either go big and go for a cup this year, or its time to seriously consider trading the (older) stars away and rebuilding.

and that top five goalie, may be he comes well back well rested and rejuvenated, or comes back with more rust than the titanic.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
If there was a realistic chance you could get elite/potentially talent back. Sure. Entertain offers.

I just think the return would be assortment of late first round picks, middle-6 players, and A-/B+ prospects. In other words.... another quality for quantity move where the Bruins give up the best asset.

Having a winning culture and being an attractive free agent destination is more important in the short term IMO.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018

they aren’t hopeless

otherwise 0.0 I deal him

You may want to take a peek at what’s going on with Byram - pretty sure you don’t want him in any return lol

Reactions: pearljamvs5

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
the funnily thing about the people who say “let’s trade our best guys because the return will be good for rebuilding” is that they expect the return to pan out.

Picks and prospects are neat, but if they don’t pan out for you your basically in the same spot you would be in had these guys stayed and retired.

Not saying you can’t have conversations, I just think it’s funny how people think rebuilding is this sure thing that works for every team and leads to years of success.

FrankerC

Jun 24, 2016
Lewiston, Maine
Wow really? What’s with “moving on” in Hockey. Patrice Bergeron has earned his right to choose himself, much like Tom Brady. I would understand moving on if the team had no shot at all at making the playoffs for the foreseeable future like Bourque, but even that was basically trying to find him a spot to win as a reward for service to the Bs. Millbury is a hack.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Dear Mike ...
666cf5be5a1bfac4c1b6f943879c44db.jpg

The only way either should be traded is if they ASK for a trade, otherwise they should retire in the black and gold.
In hindsight too many errors already made by this front office, don't add insult to injury.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
the funnily thing about the people who say “let’s trade our best guys because the return will be good for rebuilding” is that they expect the return to pan out.

Picks and prospects are neat, but if they don’t pan out for you your basically in the same spot you would be in had these guys stayed and retired.

Not saying you can’t have conversations, I just think it’s funny how people think rebuilding is this sure thing that works for every team and leads to years of success.

I don't see the majority of folks saying it's a guarantee that prospects or picks will work out. It's a gamble, but it's an effort to facilitate a return to cup contention quicker and for longer than waiting for the team to tank and get higher picks, or for cap room to open up and relying on FA.

Picks probably carry the higher uncertainty as compared to prospects starting their NHL careers and showing some signs that they can be part of a new core group. For me, IF a deal is done that moves one of your best players and essentially signals you don't think you have a reasonable chance to win and are on the verge of becoming irrelevant playoff wise, it's got to be with that in mind...build a new younger core group.

Not a lot of teams with those types of assets are in a position to deal them, since they're usually not teams who your aging but still productive vet will make a difference in the near term...Marchand or Bergeron going to Buffalo for instance means Buffalo still sucks just not as bad.

Hard to find a dance partner, but still interesting topic for some to discuss...but i get that multiple factors turn some off to the discussion too...the unlikely nature of executing such a move, not wanting to lose a career Bruin like Bergeron under any circumstances, the FO perceived propensity to over-value the return and essentially have nothing that refuels the tank..or fact that the thread has Milbury's name in it.

There's a few players around the league that I'd like to see in Boston that could become part of a developing new core...just a couple of examples...

Anaheim - Zegras and Drysdale. Anaheim having nice season...don't think they're in win-now mode so tough to extract youth for a vet
Colorado - Byram and Newhook...Girard also better than our little Dman, but that would require add'l outgoing assets; they are in win now mode...63 or 37 might make them favorites. But at the expense of the future.

Risky approach as Milbury acknowledged and difficult to pull off as many here have stated.

Last edited:

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Dear Mike ...
View attachment 489613

The only way either should be traded is if they ASK for a trade, otherwise they should retire in the black and gold.
In hindsight too many errors already made by this front office, don't add insult to injury.

Seriously. The last thing I want is this management group trading our two best players and two players who will go down as legends for the Bruins.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I don't see the majority of folks saying it's a guarantee that prospects or picks will work out. It's a gamble, but it's an effort to facilitate a return to cup contention quicker and for longer than waiting for the team to tank and get higher picks, or for cap room to open up and relying on FA.

Picks probably carry the higher uncertainty as compared to prospects starting their NHL careers and showing some signs that they can be part of a new core group. For me, IF a deal is done that moves one of your best players and essentially signals you don't think you have a reasonable chance to win and are on the verge of becoming irrelevant playoff wise, it's got to be with that in mind...build a new younger core group.

Not a lot of teams with those types of assets are in a position to deal them, since they're usually not teams who your aging but still productive vet will make a difference in the near term...Marchand or Bergeron going to Buffalo for instance means Buffalo still sucks just not as bad.

Hard to find a dance partner, but still interesting topic for some to discuss...but i get that multiple factors turn some off to the discussion too...the unlikely nature of executing such a move, not wanting to lose a career Bruin like Bergeron under any circumstances, the FO perceived propensity to over-value the return and essentially have nothing that refuels the tank..or fact that the thread has Milbury's name in it.

There's a few players around the league that I'd like to see in Boston that could become part of a developing new core...just a couple of examples...

Anaheim - Zegras and Drysdale. Anaheim having nice season...don't think they're in win-now mode so tough to extract youth for a vet
Colorado - Byram and Newhook...Girard also better than our little Dman, but that would require add'l outgoing assets; they are in win now mode...63 or 37 might make them favorites. But at the expense of the future.

Risky approach as Milbury acknowledged and difficult to pull off as many here have stated.

Byram is a mess - career in jeopardy. Major head issues.

Reactions: Sevendust

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I never thought I'd see the day Ray Bourque would be traded, whether he asked to be or not. It happened.

Anything is possible. That said I don't trust the present front office to get the best return for them so hopefully it doesn't happen.

The only stuff that should be coming out about the Boston Bruins is that dumbass ownership should be making a change to upper management. Get these idiots out.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
I never thought I'd see the day Ray Bourque would be traded, whether he asked to be or not. It happened.

Anything is possible. That said I don't trust the present front office to get the best return for them so hopefully it doesn't happen.

Goes for any FO. It’s a ballsy move to exchange a historically significant player in an effort to build for a bright future. Bs FO track record on other asset management issues? Spotty I think is fair. So trust on a major initiative like this is questionable.

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad