WEEI Mike Milbury says Bruins should seriously consider trading Patrice Bergeron and/or Brad Marchand

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
He is aging but long in the toothe is a bit much and unfair .9 goals 10 assists in 22 games.He would have better numbers if other lines could contribute to force teams to not key in on them so much .

Agree long in the tooth paints a way more dismal picture than reality.

I would counter though that his production would also be worse if he didn’t skate with 63 and 88.

but he does. And they don’t have the firepower to avoid being keyed on. Most teams don’t actually. it is what it is.

he’s still a more than reliable, goal producing and goals against reducing player, a huge asset to the Bruins. Of course the clock is ticking on his career like it does for all players but he’s clearly not done…

question in this thread is do you leverage the fact that he’s still so good and use that to start building a new, younger core group. If it’s anything but that type of acquisition I don’t like it. If he wants another shot st a cup and would entertain a move…and the Bs don’t look good enough…different story.

Last edited:

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I mean he did say he is taking it year by year about retirement,,,
And that's what you get from it ?

They way the Bruins are built and no support from teammates when things get rough... I won't be surprised if he retires at season end.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Realistically speaking, what would the Bruins get in return for Bergeron? A low 1st round pick, so they can draft another Frederic or Beecher?

Thats why you make someone else’s prospect that’s already been drafted as the main piece in the return. So you can’t screw up the actual drafting part

Reactions: Mathews28

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
No. You keep them and improve on the other spots.

Bergeron
Pasta
Marchand
McAvoy
Swayman/Rask

That’s elite.

Surround them and go for it as long as you can.

Sweeneys had 7 off seasons to surround bergy with the right group and failed. Bergys contract ends this year and he could be retiring. No guarantee there will be another opportunity to surround him with anything. Trade him and get some form of return.

Reactions: lopey and Estlin

badbrewin

Sponsor
Jan 13, 2007
Montreal
Because they’re going nowhere and Bergeron is growing long in the tooth.
The front office does not have the stones to blow it up though. They can't bear the lean years and its impact at the gate, so unfortunately they will keep retooling with refurbished parts and tinker just enough to remain mediocre.

I still remember when they finally moved guys like Oates, Ranford, Tocchet, etc. and instantly got younger and went with a young talented lineup in 97-98, with Allison, Thornton, Axelsson, Samsonov, etc. and how exciting it was to see the energy of youth. They weren't the greatest team, but as a fan, you had the excitement and anticipation of what could be, so you were patient.

Guys like Orr, Bourque, Gretzky were traded, so nostalgia should be parked when you're thinking long-term, but...ya know.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
With a competent GM I would disagree with Milbury and say the Bs should keep trying to get pieces to fit around the core and give things another try. Unfortunately, DS added to his growing list of screw ups by completely failing over this past summer. He finally had a lot of cap space to work with and completely blew it. He's somehow managed to waste a great inherited core year after year. I'm sure some will say he will fix things at the deadline. Yeah, I'm sure that will work out great. Always has, right? All those Cups under DS are impressive.

Not sure what the right thing to do is, but either way the only way forward is to clean house in the front office. They have failed in multiple ways. If the path forward is to keep the current core and build around them to give them a couple more shots, then cool. But it needs to be without the current clown show making decisions. They've had their chance and failed. If the path forward is to become sellers and rebuild, then it sure as hell needs to be done with Sweeney's ass gone. It would suck so bad to lose beloved players for a rebuild, only to have the current front office idiots botch the start of a rebuild and put the Bs even more behind. The mental gymnastics needed to justify the continued employment of DS keep getting tougher and tougher to perform.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
How often does a team trade their top two iconic players, one of whom is still in their prime, to start a rebuild? I can’t think of it happening very often recently. Chicago obviously didn’t. I’m sure there are a few examples but to the level of these two? Help me understand the thought process

thought process is basically bergeron has nothing committed to playing past this year. There’s as good of a chance that he walks/retires as he does sign a new deal. This team hasn’t shown it can compete this year. Better to trade him than to let him walk for nothing.

Reactions: lopey

badbrewin

Sponsor
Jan 13, 2007
Montreal
With a competent GM I would disagree with Milbury and say the Bs should keep trying to get pieces to fit around the core and give things another try. Unfortunately, DS added to his growing list of screw ups by completely failing over this past summer. He finally had a lot of cap space to work with and completely blew it. He's somehow managed to waste a great inherited core year after year. I'm sure some will say he will fix things at the deadline. Yeah, I'm sure that will work out great. Always has, right? All those Cups under DS are impressive.

Not sure what the right thing to do is, but either way the only way forward is to clean house in the front office. They have failed in multiple ways. If the path forward is to keep the current core and build around them to give them a couple more shots, then cool. But it needs to be without the current clown show making decisions. They've had their chance and failed. If the path forward is to become sellers and rebuild, then it sure as hell needs to be done with Sweeney's ass gone. It would suck so bad to lose beloved players for a rebuild, only to have the current front office idiots botch the start of a rebuild and put the Bs even more behind. The mental gymnastics needed to justify the continued employment of DS keep getting tougher and tougher to perform.
Couldn't disagree with anything here. Sweeney is the smartest dumb guy we know.

Reactions: missingchicklet

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
I don't care about .500 and limping into the playoffs so that the Jacobs family can make a few more bucks.

Compete for Cups.
Win Cups.
Agree... that is how I think. Jacob needs to get in front office face and say exactly would you are saying. This core I believe, do what is needed and allow these guy to do so, protect them, add some grit and physicality - character.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad