WEEI Mike Milbury says Bruins should seriously consider trading Patrice Bergeron and/or Brad Marchand

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
You only trade Bergeron if he wants to be traded. Otherwise he's earned his opportunity to retire as a Bruin.

He has a modified ntc. He submits list of 3 teams the & rest he can say nope.That said unless he goes to a team like say Jets who hold best pick of say any contender is it really worth it?

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
That's why you get rid of Sweeney, Neely, and mediocre scouts like Malkoc and Nadeau so they can't screw up the draft picks sent here in return.
What did Nadeau do, for you to name him right next to Malkoc? You realize he's covering the Q? Did he pushed some untalented players from the Q?

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
They would not even trade 30 goal guy & ufa to be ,Loui Eriksson at deadline cause they had outside shot to sneak into playoffs . Yet we are gonna talk trading these 2 :teach2::nopity:
The real chance of trading Bergeron or Marchand currently is probably close to 0.

But with hindsight... not trading Eriksson. Letting several pending players walk for literally nothing over the years with the addition of being bad at drafting and developing has left this team very mediocre with a shrinking core that could have/should be able to accomplish more.

There's times you have to go for it. But being honest... those times slipped through our hands, and we don't have the depth / talent to do more.

But maybe I'm wrong. Unfortunately, we are trending the wrong way.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I wouldn’t trade him to the leafs to help them go on a run. Western conference only
First you won't entertain trading Bergeron... a few minutes later you would entertain offers from the western conference? :huh::rolleyes:

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
Yeah, Mike Milbury was such a great GM with the Islanders.

Did anyone think last season that the Habs were serious contenders for the Stanley Cup? Imagine if they had unloaded Price and Webber? If not for a Yanni Gourde SHG in game 7 vs the Isles, the stinkin' Habs probably win their 25th Cup.

The Bruins need to figure it out with their current roster. The players need to step up, and play for the logo on the front of their jersey.
This.. good post

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
The real chance of trading Bergeron or Marchand currently is probably close to 0.

But with hindsight... not trading Eriksson. Letting several pending players walk for literally nothing over the years with the addition of being bad at drafting and developing has left this team very mediocre with a shrinking core that could have/should be able to accomplish more.

There's times you have to go for it. But being honest... those times slipped through our hands, and we don't have the depth / talent to do more.

But maybe I'm wrong. Unfortunately, we are trending the wrong way.

I love the Lysell pick and McAvoy and Swayman are 2 big pieces going forward but your right alot of bad decisions have really hurt this franchise talent wise.Not sure I trust Sweeney at all at moment but still hoping.:thumbu:

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
You don't trade Bergy, he's the heart and soul of the team and still provides great value in teaching the young players how to adjust to the pro lifestyle and how to be a Bruin.

Though as I said in the other topic talking about this, I love marchand but think that his value right now is very high and he could fetch a return with a lot of futures, which would help the Bruins organization more than he can right now during this season which is going nowhere anyway. You could get a top prospect and a first round draft pick for him, no question. He has three more years on his contract, and by 2024-25 I'm not sure he'll still be at this level. but the 2021-2024 Bruins probably won't be competitive enough to profit from his production, so I've come around to shopping him for a good return. He has a full NMC though through this year (limited NTC starting this summer) no idea how open he would be to moving.
You don't trade neither guys. Marchand with Bergeron is what's left of what the Bruins were and are.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
You don't trade players with heart and soul, accepting home discount, elite, talented and winners without their will. They are the Bruins.! IMO organisation should listen to them... which how management act we can conclude they are not listening. These guys are rare. Dedicated, tough as nail and talented. Don't be fool, Bruins should use their last run, these guys will soon be gone, they are aging. We had full of these guys in DK, Chara, Looch, Macquaid, and now they are the last ones left and now we are missing them. I would f... got for it!

But I am not the GM .... And it is starting to be late!

MrKabukiman

Ne pas plonger!
Nov 12, 2007
Mass.
If they are truly out of it at the deadline, I suspect they may approach Bergeron and ask him where he wants to go. Given his long tenure with the team and his NMC, it would be the respectful thing to do.

Reactions: lopey

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
They are closer to competing with some line changes and roster moves than they are needing of a full rebuild.
I'm on the fence with this one... I thing the problem is deeper than just a simple surface cut where a band aid would help.. Line changes are great for a team with depth... Bruins are practically depleted depth wise. There's some nice prospects but most of them are not the solution yet, They need time to develop.

The FO did moves in the summer and they were the wrong players for this team at this moment. There's no miracle solutions... even if they manage to trade a few players, those players won't bring you what this team needs.

The only solution right now is to change the FO and hire the right people with the tools to manage this team and scouts who understand what talent is.

Lamoriello would be my choice... he's probably feeling the heat in Uniondale.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
They are closer to competing with some line changes and roster moves than they are needing of a full rebuild.

at the moment they are, but they need IMO two significant pieces to be a legit contender. How do they acquire those pieces?
As Bergeron and Marchand age and with no real prospects ready to take over in the near future, there a couple of years from being a bad team.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
If I did even consider to trade any of these 2. I would expect a elite prospect . A 1st round pick and a elite player playing right now on roster. Its gonna be darn expensive so I bet a trade wont happen. Which is a good thing cause bergy retires a bruin .

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
If they are truly out of it at the deadline, I suspect they may approach Bergeron and ask him where he wants to go. Given his long tenure with the team and his NMC, it would be the respectful thing to do.

He has a limited no trade last I read .He has to give Bruins 3 teams

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad