WEEI Mike Milbury says Bruins should seriously consider trading Patrice Bergeron and/or Brad Marchand

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
He’s going to be 37 when next season starts. He’s got a ton of miles on him with lots of injuries. If he retires it’s because he’s had enough.
Agreed, I mixed it up with another French saying. My bad.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Thats why you make someone else’s prospect that’s already been drafted as the main piece in the return. So you can’t screw up the actual drafting part

this is right on.

If you trade your aging core in a space where the team is becoming a less viable cup contender best to acquire evolving prospect(s) to establish a new, younger core with hopes you’re positioned for another multi-year run, hopefully in reasonably short order.

I feel like one of the biggest challenges is that these types of players are often on shit teams who don’t need your aging but still effective veteran, because they’re nowhere close to contending. So they hold onto those prospects.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
this is right on.

If you trade your aging core in a space where the team is becoming a less viable cup contender best to acquire evolving prospect(s) to establish a new, younger core with hopes you’re positioned for another multi-year run, hopefully in reasonably short order.

I feel like one of the biggest challenges is that these types of players are often on shit teams who don’t need your aging but still effective veteran, because they’re nowhere close to contending. So they hold onto those prospects.

Id look at the New York Rangers. Nice prospect pool, having a great year and could use a guy like bergeron. Maybe you can take some salary back from them, someone on a 1-2 year deal after this year and sweeten the return.

Reactions: lopey

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Id look at the New York Rangers. Nice prospect pool, having a great year and could use a guy like bergeron. Maybe you can take some salary back from them, someone on a 1-2 year deal after this year and sweeten the return.

I think it might come down to how close do the RANGERS think they are to truly contending. Agree they have some players who fit the bill as future key/core players.

Another team having success and who has a couple of excellent prospects is a Anaheim. Pretty good record but don’t see them as a team that with a Bergie or Marchand is over the top as a contender. They’re still building. Takes a pretty unique situation for a top prospect to be the return. In that respect 63 probably brings more of a return.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I think it might come down to how close do the RANGERS think they are to truly contending. Agree they have some players who fit the bill as future key/core players.

Another team having success and who has a couple of excellent prospects is a Anaheim. Pretty good record but don’t see them as a team that with a Bergie or Marchand is over the top as a contender. They’re still building. Takes a pretty unique situation for a top prospect to be the return. In that respect 63 probably brings more of a return.

If I were the rangers GM I’d feel pretty good about contending. They have 37 points in 25 games which is tied for 2nd best in the NHL for points per game.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
I don't get why people want to waive the white flag. Rebuilds suck and they're glorified online because people can do them in nhl 22.

Bergy's last year potentially. f*** it. Go all in. The idea of "We're not gonna win anything with them" is silly because none of you have a crystal ball. Most teams aren't gonna win anything this year. That's why it's the toughest trophy in sports.

If we lose, then it is what it is, but I want this team to have one last chance. Is it slim? Yes. Is every team's chance slim? Also yes.

Gnome17

Mar 4, 2016
Sweden
Its too early, I still believe in this core. If Rask comes back his old self we'll have a shot at winning. If Krejci comes back, and if we get a good return for Debrusk, things could look real good.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
thought process is basically bergeron has nothing committed to playing past this year. There’s as good of a chance that he walks/retires as he does sign a new deal. This team hasn’t shown it can compete this year. Better to trade him than to let him walk for nothing.

I understand the process. I’m looking for comps - what’s the model we’re going for here?

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Even if you want it to happen, what are the odds? He has what, three teams on his list? Do you think they'll be teams the Bruins could get a decent return from?

The only way I see it actually happening is if he agrees to it. But he's never expressed any desire to be anything but a Bruin. If they go to him and say they want to move him, he'll probably just retire at the end of the season.

To me all of this talk is just noise.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Even if you want it to happen, what are the odds? He has what, three teams on his list? Do you think they'll be teams the Bruins could get a decent return from?

The only way I see it actually happening is if he agrees to it. But he's never expressed any desire to be anything but a Bruin. If they go to him and say they want to move him, he'll probably just retire at the end of the season.

To me all of this talk is just noise.
I think he would have to go to them for it to ever happen, same with Brad.

Just noise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad