WEEI Mike Milbury says Bruins should seriously consider trading Patrice Bergeron and/or Brad Marchand

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

The Greg Hill Show’s Jermaine Wiggins believes this team is going nowhere and has advocated for trading Patrice Bergeron and/or Brad Marchand to bring back a massive haul that will set them up for the future.
Making his weekly appearance on the show Thursday morning, former Bruins coach and longtime NHL analyst Mike Milbury agreed with Wiggy.

“The fact that they might not make [the playoffs] is a real possibility. So what do you do in that situation? Bergeron’s,” Milbury said. “…If he’s going to go any place, he’d want to go somewhere he might win a Stanley Cup. But this is a question that good teams face all the time. They run through a cycle and they get to a point where, you have Bergeron, we have this affinity for him, we love the guy, but if you’re really going to do business the right way, it’s probably time to move on, to be honest with you.

“It’s time to move on. Go to him, have the conversation. And then to take it a step further, although it would be hard -- it would be really hard to trade Marchand as well -- it’s probably worth a discussion. If you’re going to retool, you need assets to retool, which means you need good draft picks, you might need some great prospects, and both of those guys can bring you that kind of stuff. If you think the time is up for this run, then it’s time to move on and time to make really hard decisions, and they’re risky too. They’re really risky. So that’s where I’m at. It’s a very fair question.”

It’s worth noting that, according to CapFriendly, Bergeron has a modified no-movement clause (he can submit a three-team trade list and block a trade anywhere else) and Marchand has a full no-trade clause through the end of this season (it then turns into a six-team trade list).

Listen to the full interview below:

NHL Analyst Mike Milbury Joins The Greg Hill Show: "Its Probably Time To Move On" And Trade Patrice Bergeron

Midship

Jan 7, 2016
100% agree. This team is going nowhere and the future looks grim at best currently. Need to maximize all tradable assets. Unfortunately tweedle dee and tweedle dum in the FO are not the people I would trust with this important of a move for the franchise.

gerrycheeversmask

Feb 18, 2021
Behind Enemy Lines
Yeah, Mike Milbury was such a great GM with the Islanders.

Did anyone think last season that the Habs were serious contenders for the Stanley Cup? Imagine if they had unloaded Price and Webber? If not for a Yanni Gourde SHG in game 7 vs the Isles, the stinkin' Habs probably win their 25th Cup.

The Bruins need to figure it out with their current roster. The players need to step up, and play for the logo on the front of their jersey.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
How often does a team trade their top two iconic players, one of whom is still in their prime, to start a rebuild? I can’t think of it happening very often recently. Chicago obviously didn’t. I’m sure there are a few examples but to the level of these two? Help me understand the thought process

Reactions: HustleB

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
No chance it happens because Sweeney and/or Neely will be canned based on the precedent Jacobs set in 2015. The Kraken could offer 10 1st round picks that are unprotected and Sweeney would turn down the offer.

In terms of the long-term future of this franchise, they absolutely should look to trade them if they don't make multiple BIG additions at the deadline. This team is going nowhere and the future doesn't look great.

gerrycheeversmask

Feb 18, 2021
Behind Enemy Lines
In terms of the long-term future of this franchise, they absolutely should look to trade them if they don't make multiple BIG additions at the deadline. This team is going nowhere and the future doesn't look great.

Realistically speaking, what would the Bruins get in return for Bergeron? A low 1st round pick, so they can draft another Frederic or Beecher?

Reactions: Knox Harrington

bruins19

Aug 11, 2005
Yeah, Mike Milbury was such a great GM with the Islanders.

Did anyone think last season that the Habs were serious contenders for the Stanley Cup? Imagine if they had unloaded Price and Webber? If not for a Yanni Gourde SHG in game 7 vs the Isles, the stinkin' Habs probably win their 25th Cup.

The Bruins need to figure it out with their current roster. The players need to step up, and play for the logo on the front of their jersey.
Mad Mike is in no position to recommend moves. Traded Chara, gave Yashin and his goofy turtleneck a 10 year 87.5 M contract that had to be bought out, gave DiPietro and his hair stylist a similarly ridiculous deal at 15 years, 67.5 M that also had to be bought out. Trade Bergy and/or Marchand? Crazy town.

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH
If they’re going into a rebuild the top line can not exist the way it is now. Someone would/should go.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
You don't trade Bergy, he's the heart and soul of the team and still provides great value in teaching the young players how to adjust to the pro lifestyle and how to be a Bruin.

Though as I said in the other topic talking about this, I love marchand but think that his value right now is very high and he could fetch a return with a lot of futures, which would help the Bruins organization more than he can right now during this season which is going nowhere anyway. You could get a top prospect and a first round draft pick for him, no question. He has three more years on his contract, and by 2024-25 I'm not sure he'll still be at this level. but the 2021-2024 Bruins probably won't be competitive enough to profit from his production, so I've come around to shopping him for a good return. He has a full NMC though through this year (limited NTC starting this summer) no idea how open he would be to moving.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
To me Bergy is the textbook one franchise player and I can't see him ever playing for anyone else.

With Marchand I've said for awhile that as a GM I'd leave it up to him. If he wanted to go elsewhere to chase another Cup I'd support and facilitate that, because at this point he owes the Bruins nothing and the return could help this team immensely if handled properly. But equally if he wanted to stay then I'd never shift him against his will. That would be all kinds of wrong. My gut says he'll stick around, but you never know.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I don’t think he’s necessarily wrong. But he is late.

If they were going to go the Armageddon route they probably should’ve done it this past offseason.

Instead they committed a bunch of money to maintain the status quo.

In the end, I can see them eventually (more so than now) becoming a one and done playoff team that watches their best players retire and leaves them building from the ground up in several years. Unless of course they hit on a few picks before then, specifically up the middle.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
I don’t think he’s necessarily wrong. But he is late.

If they were going to go the Armageddon route they probably should’ve done it this past offseason.

Instead they committed a bunch of money to maintain the status quo.

In the end, I can see them eventually (more so than now) becoming a one and done playoff team that watches their best players retire and leaves them building from the ground up in several years. Unless of course they hit on a few picks before then, specifically up the middle.
Better late than never

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
To me Bergy is the textbook one franchise player and I can't see him ever playing for anyone else.

With Marchand I've said for awhile that as a GM I'd leave it up to him. If he wanted to go elsewhere to chase another Cup I'd support and facilitate that, because at this point he owes the Bruins nothing and the return could help this team immensely if handled properly. But equally if he wanted to stay then I'd never shift him against his will. That would be all kinds of wrong. My gut says he'll stick around, but you never know.
If you want a fantasy trade look at the Rangers and some of their picks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad