Rumor: Mike Komisarek: Gave a list of 12 teams, but wants a trade.

Drakkor

Apr 21, 2007
It's all about his contract. If Mike Komisarek was a $2M per year cap defense-man, he would be dressed and playing a regular shift and he would be an easily trade-able player. And given his character and outgoing personality, he would be a candidate for Captaincy. As it is, the risk of an injury derailing the compliance buyout option this summer to too great for him to play here (or with the Marlies...even if he waived his NMC).

The possibility of injury is a very good point and seems to have been missed by many on here.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
The possibility of injury is a very good point and seems to have been missed by many on here.

Not that far fetched either. That's the reason both Redden and Gomez were going to be sent home by the Rangers and Canadiens and paid not to play this season before the League and the PA agreed to the "Accelerated Compliance Buyout" that was used on both players.

buntek

Jun 2, 2011
Toronto
It's funny how people here can't see that he's a goner. The Leafs want to eat 50% of his salary and they still can't get rid of him. Could the Leafs send him to Reading if they wanted?

buntek

Jun 2, 2011
Toronto
Much? No. Marginally? Maybe. He's directly caused several goals, and for a defensive defenseman, he's not very good in his own zone. Not impressed.

What are you not impressed with? Holzer has a dozen games under his belt, and he looks much more polished than Komisarek ever has.

MuchoMacho

Jul 19, 2009
Penalty Box
Phaneuf needs a good stay at home defender to play well with. Somebody who doesn't pinch a lot, and is positionally sound on the ice. This way Phaneuf can take offensive chances, or get slightly out of position for a big hit when needed.

Leafs are a team with a gritty personality. They want to be hard to play against. They are atop the league in hits and fights. Having a big, veteran, hard hitting defensemen on the top pairing would be ideal.

So, my question is why isn't Mike Komisarek getting a look beside Phaneuf? If you ask Komi to play on the power play, or to play in a run & gun system, he's going to look out of place. However Phaneuf played his best hockey with a stay at home partner (Hamrlik, Regehr) and Komisarek played his best hockey with an offensive defensemen (Markov), this is a perfect match in my opinion. Tell Phaneuf to go out there and score points, hit hard etc and tell Komisarek not to worry about points at all, just be there to bail out Phaneuf.

KesselLooksLikeRadar*

Phaneuf needs a good stay at home defender to play well with. Somebody who doesn't pinch a lot, and is positionally sound on the ice. This way Phaneuf can take offensive chances, or get slightly out of position for a big hit when needed.

Leafs are a team with a gritty personality. They want to be hard to play against. They are atop the league in hits and fights. Having a big, veteran, hard hitting defensemen on the top pairing would be ideal.

So, my question is why isn't Mike Komisarek getting a look beside Phaneuf? If you ask Komi to play on the power play, or to play in a run & gun system, he's going to look out of place. However Phaneuf played his best hockey with a stay at home partner (Hamrlik, Regehr) and Komisarek played his best hockey with an offensive defensemen (Markov), this is a perfect match in my opinion. Tell Phaneuf to go out there and score points, hit hard etc and tell Komisarek not to worry about points at all, just be there to bail out Phaneuf.

You seemed to have answered your own question :naughty:

Brozak

i scoreded a goal
May 30, 2009
Kitchener, ON
good for him

he is a good player in a bad situation

we leaf fans eat players alive

I'm not sure Leaf fans 'eat players alive' -- we're just as fickle as any other hockey fan but a lot of the heat that Komi had been taken has kind of diminished. We know he's a hard worker, has tried to change his game up for the better, but our blue line is jammed all the way up and at least two players who aren't even being dressed are queued up before he'll even see the ice, so naturally he'd like a trade so he gets a chance to play. Nothing wrong with that.

I like Komisarek, great guy. Wish him the best, wherever we inevitably ship him.

Mike1

Jul 29, 2002
Mississauga,Ontario
Visit site
I don't see a trade happening. He will be on another team next season though. For those holding a pity party for Komisarek, give me a break. The guy has been consistently outplayed & is always losing his spot to someone else. This year he gets injured breaking his stick in practice & hasn't been in the line-up since.

Last edited:

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Why does anybody feel bad for a lousy hockey player who makes close to 4M dollars a season. Are you kidding me? Anybody feel bad when the career of Jeff Finger was ruined? Dont think so. How about Vesa Toskala? Was a capable NHL goaltender before playing for the Leafs..destroyed...Andrew Raycroft a former Calder winner..destroyed. Nobody cares about these guys, not saying that you should. No more than you should care about this clunker of a hockey stiff. He is done and near the end I believe...but he will probably live better than anybody on this board who "feels sorry" for him.
You gonna tell me what to eat next bud? If people feel sorry for him, they are more than allowed to. He's been quiet this entire time and didn't make any deal about it to the media, just silently requested for a trade. Finger wasn't even close the same level of hype that Komi brought. Toskala was given a fair chance but wasn't playing well, Raycroft trade was a bite in the ass from the get go. He's a good guy and if any thing you can ask all his teammates or those have insider information that he's a classy guy that has just hit hard times. Yea he tried too much at the get go, and then wilson's offensive minded coaching didn't help either which screwed him over.. His defensive game much better during carlyle's stint and would've been better if I'm assuming the team wasn't looking for another direction.

Relax, let people be upset or happy or angry or whatever they want. They are entitled to it.

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
Did the story of just how he injured his eye ever come out?

I don't know but I have a feeling that that issue may have contribited more to him being kept out of the line-up than we have talked about. No inside info here just a gut feeling.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Did the story of just how he injured his eye ever come out?

I don't know but I have a feeling that that issue may have contribited more to him being kept out of the line-up than we have talked about. No inside info here just a gut feeling.

I had a tin-foil hat theory that, komi possibly got pissed at the coach or something, broke the fiber stick in anger and had the injury. Who knows though.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
Honestly, I wish we had played him more this year.

If it wasn't for the eye injury imo, he would still be in the line-up, he's looked good in the games he's played.

At this point, I don't see why someone like Holzer or even Kostka should be ahead of him in the line-up, minus cost reasons.

Oh well, guess we'll never really get to see what could've been

BillyD

JUST WIN BABY
Jun 23, 2009
pnjy.jpg

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX
Hard to feel sorry for him. Guy signed a monster contract and gets to live like a King.

Never really fit in here. Stars just didn't align for him.

He'll catch on somewhere else, hopefully it will be in a better situation. Not much of a fighter, and turtled up against Lucic when it counted the most.

Not really a top 4 d on most teams. Ideally a 6 or 7th defenseman.

Only thing that disappointed me a lot about him was, he wasn't as much a hitter as I thought he'd be.

daner

Feb 18, 2009
It's all about his contract. If Mike Komisarek was a $2M per year cap defense-man, he would be dressed and playing a regular shift and he would be an easily trade-able player. And given his character and outgoing personality, he would be a candidate for Captaincy. As it is, the risk of an injury derailing the compliance buyout option this summer to too great for him to play here (or with the Marlies...even if he waived his NMC).

Should the leafs use the compliance buyout on Komi or maybe liles??

legendinblue

NHL in Seattle
Apr 30, 2011
Seattle/Europe
He's given a list of 12 teams?? The phrase "Beggars can't be choosers" comes to mind....

Pretty sure he'd accept trade to ANY team at this point. He wants to play.

It's always fun to rip on players for horrible contracts they were given by GM's. It's not their fault GM's can so stupid at times.

coachbob

Jan 11, 2004
ONTARIO
Visit site
The Leafs would be nuts to take back any cap space in dealing Komisarek. Amnesty him in the off season and keep the valuable cap space. Now if they can pay half his salary and trade all of his cap space, go for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad