Rumor: Mike Komisarek: Gave a list of 12 teams, but wants a trade.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
I don't think he even cares - this is a great situation - he's still a star - sits in press box year after year - colects tens of millions![/QUOTE]

- I'm sorry but this is one of the most moronic things I have heard in quite some time! Of course he cares, I mean this is his career, do you really think he sits there and says "Oh, I love not working and I can just sit around and do nothing all day!"? No! Of course Komiserak wants to play, and he wants to be in the NHL full time, sure he's not going to go the media and say he wants out but I can guarantee you he's privately not happy with the situation he's in. For the record, how is he collecting "10's of millions?" his salary this year is $3.5M, and due to a shortened season its a lot less then that and when you take off taxes and agent fees it's even less.

L Corncrick

NHL Outsider
Oct 8, 2011
Planet Funk
If somebody out there wants Mike and they will pay a token amount for his service then for the love of Pete please trade him. Having him punch drunk from press boxing does the Leafs and Mike no good at all. Send him the West and we won't see him til next year.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I'm actually pretty surprised that not one team won't take a flyer on him even for a 7th.. He's been a true professional through this whole thing and to be quite honest his demise has been drastically over exaggerated by many on here. He's not that bad IMO, he was playing pretty well when he was in the line-up earlier this year.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
If somebody out there wants Mike and they will pay a token amount for his service then for the love of Pete please trade him. Having him punch drunk from press boxing does the Leafs and Mike no good at all. Send him the West and we won't see him til next year.

Just off the top of my head I can think of at least 2 teams that really need his services, the Islanders and Oilers. Islanders are an utter joke on the backend so they could use him, plus they have the cap space to acquire him not to mention Komi is from LI, if you ask me its a win-win for both sides. The Oilers are banged up on their back end and they could use a veteran depth blueliner with a physical edge, only problem is would Komi be willing to waive his NTC to go there? Either way, he needs to be moved for the good of the team and for Komi's sake.

TBLHoser

Jul 2, 2009
Sunshine State
I'm actually pretty surprised that not one team won't take a flyer on him even for a 7th.. He's been a true professional through this whole thing and to be quite honest his demise has been drastically over exaggerated by many on here. He's not that bad IMO, he was playing pretty well when he was in the line-up earlier this year.

Maybe, but is he worth his cap hit? From the rest of these posts, probably not. Leafs would have to take some salary back.

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
I suspect the leafs will buy him out and let him walk. I don't think they will be able to sell him for his $4.5 million price tag. It may have been easier at the beginning of the year when more teams were desperate for defense like Detroit but I just don't see it happening at this point. I wish him the best though.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
I see Liles generating more interest from teams like Detroit, Minnesota, St.Louis, Edmonton, Colorado, Carolina (East) and Calgary.

Komisarek is a bit different in terms of "needing" a player of his calibre. Detroit will certainly be kicking tires, Colorado may inquire now that the O'Reilly saga is over, and maybe a couple other teams but the market isn't anywhere near that of Liles.

The Wings' front office will be interested in neither Liles nor Komisarek. The Wings have five offensive defensemen playing nightly already, making Liles completely unnecessary; and as Komisarek is an underperforming, hugely overpaid defenseman with a year still left on his contract, there's not a chance that they'll touch him either. For that matter, no team that is interested in being competitive will make a play for Komisarek; the impending decrease in the salary cap would ensure that even if his inadequate play hadn't done so already.

As other have noted, if he's moved he'll probably be heading to a cap floor team, and---assuming that he isn't the Leafs' amnesty buyout (which would be a tacit admission that Nonis might not be able to move him at all---it'll happen in the offseason. Every team is above the floor for this season already.

Where do all former Leaf defencemen go before they die? Detroit. I would not be surprised in the slightest if Detroit snagged Komisarek and he became a solid player for them. It's happened with too many guys to name, they have the cap space and need for a d man.

As I noted, there's not the faintest chance of this happening. More, what you've said is incorrect. The Wings do not need another defenseman---they currently have eight who are capable, and the defense has really begun to gel over the past few games---and though the Wings have indeed have a lot of success at reclaiming players who have fallen upon tough times, never are those players who are on large contracts. Picking up a down-and-out player and giving him league minimum is a risk only in the most minimal sense. Taking on a guy who'll be a salary cap liability if he doesn't perform is an entirely different story.

Further, how many Leafs defensemen have actually moved directly from that team to the Wings over the past decade? I can't remember any. There certainly haven't been any since Larry Murphy who have moved on to the Wings and retired as a member. For that matter, there have been very few ex-Leafs defensemen on the Wings at all during that period. And for those on the team right now Detroit is very unlikely to be the final destination. White is unlikely to get another contract with the team after this season, and Carlo will likely spend his days with the Wings as a depth defenseman; barring a tremendous resurgence, he's likely to be on the way out after his contract ends too.

I'm actually pretty surprised that not one team won't take a flyer on him even for a 7th..

His giant contract plus the shrinking of the salary cap plus the incapacity under the new CBA for teams to stash bad contracts in the minors equals many reasons for competitive teams to stay away.

Last edited:

DaveT83*

I don't think he even cares - this is a great situation - he's still a star - sits in press box year after year - colects tens of millions!

- I'm sorry but this is one of the most moronic things I have heard in quite some time! Of course he cares, I mean this is his career, do you really think he sits there and says "Oh, I love not working and I can just sit around and do nothing all day!"? No! Of course Komiserak wants to play, and he wants to be in the NHL full time, sure he's not going to go the media and say he wants out but I can guarantee you he's privately not happy with the situation he's in. For the record, how is he collecting "10's of millions?" his salary this year is $3.5M, and due to a shortened season its a lot less then that and when you take off taxes and agent fees it's even less.[/QUOTE]

Sitting in the press box has probably ruined his career.

You probably care more about this than Komi does.

If I were a GM I'd pass on Komi based solely on principle - a guy who sat in press box for 2 years watching rookies/ahl scrubs take his roster spot with a smile on his face is the last player I want anywhere near my hockey club.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
- I'm sorry but this is one of the most moronic things I have heard in quite some time! Of course he cares, I mean this is his career, do you really think he sits there and says "Oh, I love not working and I can just sit around and do nothing all day!"? No! Of course Komiserak wants to play, and he wants to be in the NHL full time, sure he's not going to go the media and say he wants out but I can guarantee you he's privately not happy with the situation he's in. For the record, how is he collecting "10's of millions?" his salary this year is $3.5M, and due to a shortened season its a lot less then that and when you take off taxes and agent fees it's even less.

Sitting in the press box has probably ruined his career.

If I were a GM I'd pass on Komi based solely on principle - a guy who sat in press box for 2 years watching rookies/ahl scrubs take his roster spot with a smile on his face is the last player I want anywhere near my hockey club.[/QUOTE]

And if he sulked you'd complain too. Either way he can't win.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
itting in the press box has probably ruined his career.

If I were a GM I'd pass on Komi based solely on principle - a guy who sat in press box for 2 years watching rookies/ahl scrubs take his roster spot with a smile on his face is the last player I want anywhere near my hockey club.

How has sitting in the press box ruined his career? He sat there a lot last season and yet when he played early on this year, he was playing good enough to play top 4 minutes, it was only AFTER he was injured that he lost his place in the lineup. You really are a moron, do you really expect Komi to whine to the media he wants out because he lost his job? No! I'm sure whatever discussions (and I'm postive there have been) have gone on in private between Komi his agent and Nonis, none are going to disclose to the media what is going on, nor should they!

beleaf67

Mar 2, 2013
Ottawa Valley
I think he will be a buyout after the season. Then I'm sure he will find a home for $1.5 - $2 million / one year contract... His $4.5mil cap hit this next contract kills any possible suitors this season (like Crymson said there is probably 0% interest on wings side).

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Can someone explain why we want to waste a buy out on Komisarek?

He has one year left, unless we're getting Corey Perry for 8M and we need salary cap, we should not buy Komi out.

What if Grabo needs to be bought out if he's playing on a 30 point pace? What if Lupul starts playing terrible?

I don't want the Leafs to get stuck with 5.5M and 5.25M cap hits for another 4 years when they could have bought them out..

One thing you know about players: When they get paid, they don't care as much.

beleaf67

Mar 2, 2013
Ottawa Valley
Can someone explain why we want to waste a buy out on Komisarek?

He has one year left, unless we're getting Corey Perry for 8M and we need salary cap, we should not buy Komi out.

What if Grabo needs to be bought out if he's playing on a 30 point pace? What if Lupul starts playing terrible?

I don't want the Leafs to get stuck with 5.5M and 5.25M cap hits for another 4 years when they could have bought them out..

One thing you know about players: When they get paid, they don't care as much.

I think it is more of a 23-men roster space issue than it is about $$$...

If he is not going to be used it is a total waste space on 23 men roster. I’m not going into why RC is not playing him over Holtzer or Kostka, there must be more to the story than we know…
Look now with Frattin and Lupul (soon) coming back to the roster, we might lose some depth for nothing because of Mike seating in the press box. I’m sure he would be on marlies if he didn’t have STUPID NMC clause.
As for Grabo he is at least playing (yes he is overpaid) but still at least it seems he works hard, the worst case scenario we could sent him down… I think our biggest problem with Lupul will be to keep him healthy in the lineup.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
I'm not sure that Komisarek will be bought out, there are a number of teams that may want him, if we take back salary, Carolina, St. Louis and Calgary may take a chance and especially if the cost is low, like a later draft pick.

Komisarek is not all bad, he is a good locker room presence and he is a big Defenceman that hits, we saw him play well at the first of the year but Carlyle has 6 or 7 D, he would rather play than him.

I think in the right enviroment and on the right team, he may become a bargain but I think we may keep him this year and next year if we pay half his salary, he will carry a 4.5 million cap hit but the actual pay out would be 1.75 million, for a team taking him, for the final year of his contract.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Someone will take him. Makes too much but he can certainly still play on the bottom pair.

buntek

Jun 2, 2011
Toronto
Someone will take him. Makes too much but he can certainly still play on the bottom pair.

I think there will have to be a team in contention with a bunch of injuries piling up on the back end for someone to bite. A last resort kind of move

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
I don't understand why a team would trade for him. Where Komisarek goes he will not be an improvement (except maybe Edmonton but I don't know for sure) so why trade and take on that huge contract?

Wait till next year, see if TO buys him out and get him as a veteran bottom 4 defenseman. You take 0 risk and at worst you have a guy that will bring a veteran presence to practices while he sits in the press box during games.

Komisarek will not be traded. That is my prediction.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Mark Masters ‏@markhmasters

Nonis says Komisarek has not asked for a trade but will not stand in the way if a deal can be made

Jonas Siegel ‏@jonasTSN1050

Nonis denied that Komisarek requested a trade. Says Komisarek would be open to it if in "best interests" of team but would rather play here.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
komi.jpg

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Komi has played 4 games this season , regardless of what's being said by the team/player you'd have to believe both Komi and the team would love to find him a new home . If there was a realistic option to move him he'd be gone by now .

Does anyone know how much salary a team can take back in a trade ?

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
@jonasTSN1050: Nonis denied that Komisarek requested a trade. Says Komisarek would be open to it if in "best interests" of team but would rather play here.
Good man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad