Confirmed with Link: Mike Johnston HC, Tocchet AC, Martin ??|Penguins Hire Headless Body of Gary Agnew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Shelly Anderson ‏@pgshelly
Just spoke with new #Penguins assistant Gary Agnew. Not sure what exact duties will be, but very enthusiastic about job. Quotes to follow.

Agnew on whether he's more suited to work with offense or D: "I’ve been coaching so long I’ve pretty much worked with everybody." #Penguins

Gary Agnew: "I had a great mentor working with Ken Hitchcock the past six years." #Penguins

#Penguins Gary Agnew on his approach: "If you don’t have the puck you’d better find a way of getting it back, so you have to check. (more)

#Penguins Gary Agnew con't: "That's a defensive philosophy, but that’s the reality."

Mod edit: Link to Shelly's Twitter page.

Last edited by a moderator:

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Gary Agnew will attend #Penguins development camp next week, hopes to sort out his exact duties and scope out team's prospects.

Mike Johnston confirmed #Penguins hope to define roles of Rick Tocchet, Gary Agnew, Jacques Martin next week during development camp.

Mike Johnston said hiring of assistant Gary Agnew completes his #Penguins staff.

Mike Johnston on Gary Agnew: "He's a good communicator and teacher, and I like his coaching demeanor." #Penguins

#Penguins coach Mike Johnston will tag along on strength coach Kadar's annual trip to Moscow later this month to get to know Evgeni Malkin.

Mike Johnston doesn't anticipate Olli Maatta or Derrick Pouliot being quite ready for start of season after shoulder surgeries. #Penguins

Mike Johnston on starting season with young D playing: "That’s how you develop as an org.; you start to play your young guys." #Penguins

Mike Johnston on Crosby injury: We’ll see what happens. It doesn’t sound as if he would be out for a long amount of time [if he has surgery]

Last edited by a moderator:

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Mike Johnston on starting season with young D playing: "That’s how you develop as an org.; you start to play your young guys." #Penguins
Refreshing to hear something like that from a Pens coach.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I love what I'm hearing right now. I think it's pretty cool how Johnston is going to go with Kadar so he can get to know Geno.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012

Somewhere Shero and Bylsma are crying in each others arms.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Agnew's a good hire.
Way more experience than Green at the pro coaching level.

MJ's going all the way over to Russia? Very impressed by that.

Last edited:

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Gary Agnew will attend #Penguins development camp next week, hopes to sort out his exact duties and scope out team's prospects.

Mike Johnston confirmed #Penguins hope to define roles of Rick Tocchet, Gary Agnew, Jacques Martin next week during development camp.

Mike Johnston said hiring of assistant Gary Agnew completes his #Penguins staff.

Mike Johnston on Gary Agnew: "He's a good communicator and teacher, and I like his coaching demeanor." #Penguins

#Penguins coach Mike Johnston will tag along on strength coach Kadar's annual trip to Moscow later this month to get to know Evgeni Malkin.

Mike Johnston doesn't anticipate Olli Maatta or Derrick Pouliot being quite ready for start of season after shoulder surgeries. #Penguins

Mike Johnston on starting season with young D playing: "That’s how you develop as an org.; you start to play your young guys."
#Penguins

Mike Johnston on Crosby injury: We’ll see what happens. It doesn’t sound as if he would be out for a long amount of time [if he has surgery]

#Penguins Gary Agnew on his approach: "If you don’t have the puck you’d better find a way of getting it back, so you have to check. (more)

#Penguins Gary Agnew con't: "That's a defensive philosophy, but that’s the reality."

I absolutely love it.

Last edited:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
This is pure speculation, but I'd guess he'll end up being a pro scout. After all, Don Waddell just left, and when Therrien was fired, Andre Savard switched from being an assistant coach to a pro scout.

That's all pure speculation based on past history, though.

He did? I must have missed this. Awesome.

Love hearing all that stuff from MJ. Really looking forward to seeing what he can do.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
He can't act now. JR can, but he can't.

Right. I'm just saying, everyone is saying the right things, but right now, there are 4 vets and one Bortuzzo (I don't consider him one of the youngsters on D) on the Blue Line. This isn't playing the kids.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
They probably watched funny cat videos on youtube the whole time though. Let's be honest.
This is where the mustache boy idea hatched.

7acb5cd27ac159b658c8e4168d226ef0.jpg

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA

I'm pleasantly surprised to discover I was wrong on this one. Martin hadn't been getting mentioned as being part of Johnston's coaching staff until now, so I assumed he was moving to a different role (or to a different team). Having someone like Martin around gives them additional strategic options in the long run (assuming Johnston is more willing to listen to Martin than Bylsma was).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad