Confirmed with Link: Mike Johnston HC, Tocchet AC, Martin ??|Penguins Hire Headless Body of Gary Agnew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Seems like Agnew was a scapegoat in St. Louis for their playoff PP struggles. Although they were ranked 7th on the PP in the regular season.

He seems like a good, experienced hire.

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
Penguins hire Gary Agnew as new Assistant Coach - The world rejoices.

Confirmed by the Trib.

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/6424273-74/coach-agnew-assistant#axzz374rxv4Sf

The Penguins have hired Gary Agnew as its new assistant coach.

Agnew, who was recently fired from his post as assistant coach of the St. Louis Blues, will join a staff that includes head coach Mike Johnston, assistant coach Rick Tocchet and goaltender coach Mike Bales.

Agnew has NHL experience as an assistant coach with the Blues and Columbus Blue Jackets. He served as Columbus' interim coach for five games in 2006, before Ken Hitchcock was hired as head coach

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
agnew_Bench4748.jpg

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
From what little I have found about him on the Blues board, he ran their PP and apparently their forwards as a whole. Blues fans were very happy to see him gone after their PP went down the drain.

In any case Agnew is definitely qualified with his over 20 years of coaching experience and prior NHL assistant jobs. Seems very similar to Johnston, only with an AHL instead of Hockey Canada background. Johnston has praised his teaching abilities, one of his own strengths. If it wasn't clear already that Tocchet will be the bad cop on this staff it sure is now.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I see they've hired a Gary, uncle Gary will be so flattered. I'm liking what they've done with the coaching staff, and I'd really like to know what Martin is going to be doing.

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
What happened to J Martin?

I believe when they hired Johnston as HC, they said Martin would remain with the team in a position yet-to-be-determined.

So we don't really know about Martin right now I don't think.

2aGJ4.jpg

Needless to say there's a hell of a lot more to work with on the PP with this team than the Blues.

Not sure why this was merged into this thread...
I know right? I finally felt special making my own thread like a big boy too! :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I see they've hired a Gary, uncle Gary will be so flattered. I'm liking what they've done with the coaching staff, and I'd really like to know what Martin is going to be doing.

This is pure speculation, but I'd guess he'll end up being a pro scout. After all, Don Waddell just left, and when Therrien was fired, Andre Savard switched from being an assistant coach to a pro scout.

That's all pure speculation based on past history, though.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
This is pure speculation, but I'd guess he'll end up being a pro scout. After all, Don Waddell just left, and when Therrien was fired, Andre Savard switched from being an assistant coach to a pro scout.

That's all pure speculation based on past history, though.

he'll probably stay in coaching. Martin is due for another job somewhere soon. He's a not exactly in Andre Savard territory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad