Confirmed with Link: Mike Johnston HC, Tocchet AC, Martin ??|Penguins Hire Headless Body of Gary Agnew

Status
Not open for further replies.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Alright, now let's try get a top 6 forward, trade Scuds/Dupuis and see what we have with this team. It's year 1, let's fix this ****.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I'm going to go out on a limb and say

Tocchet- runs the O and the PP
Agnew- the D and the PK
Martin- upstairs/video

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
You can't really go wrong with someone that has as much experience as him. He's not going to generate the fanfare that Tocchet's hiring did but he'll probably be just as important to the staff, if not more so.

It's a unique and eclectic coaching staff. The least experienced in terms of coaching is the only one that's been an NHL head coach. I don't think any of the three knew eachother prior to a month ago, so there's no favoritism or country club stuff going on.

Last edited:

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
i'm seeing a lot of "the powerplay sucked" and very little in the way of what they actually think he was doing wrong. sounds like he's getting a little scapegoated to me
Yeah, the only specific thing I remember was someone saying they don't attack the middle of the ice. You could probably say that about 90% of the unsuccessful powerplays.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/6424273-74/agnew-coach-johnston
“In St. Louis, it was all about the details of defense, checking to score,†he said. “That means, if you don't have the puck, you better get it back. It's a basic philosophy, and it holds true. ... Teams that play 200 feet win Stanley Cups.â€

Johnston, who said he worked primarily with defensemen while coaching in Portland, might handle the bulk of the work with his team' s blue line.

flaneur

Jul 17, 2013
To say the least, this new group of coaches makes an intriguing combination.

Not sure how they are going to split the actual responsibilities but from a personality standpoint it seems like Tocchet is going to be the bad cop, Agnew the good cop, and Johnston the tactician. And I guess Martin is the experienced vet?

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
To say the least, this new group of coaches makes an intriguing combination.

Not sure how they are going to split the actual responsibilities but from a personality standpoint it seems like Tocchet is going to be the bad cop, Agnew the good cop, and Johnston the tactician. And I guess Martin is the experienced vet?

Who is gonna tell the boys that we need to get to our game?

Adjusting to post Bylsma life is haaaaaaaaard

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Who is gonna tell the boys that we need to get to our game?

Adjusting to post Bylsma life is haaaaaaaaard

No offense PC, but can we be done with this? It just puts me in a bad space, and I want to look forward now. I need to look forward now. :laugh:

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
the far bigger questions... who will run Mustache Boy shootouts? And who shall coordinate Narc-ing with player-hating? How can we live without that?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I don't think Tocchet will be some ball buster or anything. But certainly with his reputation as a player something he says is going to carry weight. I think he's also the go-between with the players and Johnston/Agnew/Martin, who are all more or less career coaches.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I'm going to go out on a limb and say

Tocchet- runs the O and the PP
Agnew- the D and the PK
Martin- upstairs/video

Pretty sure Johnston said he'd be running the PP himself.

No matter who is running what, I want to see a situation where (a) whoever runs the PK uses Sid AND Geno at long last and (b) whoever runs the forwards isn't afraid to govern whether lines stick together or are juggled in a game based upon whether it's good for Sid and Geno and whether they are going and/or need jump starts.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Pretty sure Johnston said he'd be running the PP himself.

No matter who is running what, I want to see a situation where (a) whoever runs the PK uses Sid AND Geno at long last and (b) whoever runs the forwards isn't afraid to govern whether lines stick together or are juggled in a game based upon whether it's good for Sid and Geno and whether they are going and/or need jump starts.

But but but...... if Crosby and Malkin kill penalties that would mean Adams serves absolutely no purpose! Can't have that! :sarcasm:

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Genos defensive play is very underated. He does try.

I know, I don't get this notion that he's lazy at all. Last year he was often the only one doing the work on his line.

I can't remember the last time Geno was consistently lazy.

(I also think this points to a "room" problem. Sid and Geno are always the two hardest workers in the top-6, without fail. It doesn't translate into the guys around them working harder. In fact, in the very recent past, it's been just the opposite)

quins

Feb 27, 2013
I know, I don't get this notion that he's lazy at all. Last year he was often the only one doing the work on his line.

(I also think this points to a "room" problem. Sid and Geno are always the two hardest workers in the top-6, without fail. It doesn't translate into the guys around them working harder. In fact, in the very recent past, it's been just the opposite)

Just when he tries to do too much like going for steals and he comes up empty. Looks like he floats around.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

I think it's more when he's on or off. When he's off or not clicking he gets down and ends in him being done with it.

This team was far too comfortable being carried by Crosby and Malkin, or whoever on an individual level. They had a lot of players thinking it was okay to do **** all and a lot of them weren't talented enough to get away with it in any way. TBF, some of them were too bad to do anything but be carried. I don't see how it failed.

penguins2946*

It's not like Malkin is unfamiliar with killing penalties:

The 4 players on the PK in that were Malkin, Hossa, Gonchar and Whitney. I don't know if Bylsma would have used any of those 4 on the PK if he was the coach then.

Goddammit I miss Hossa. I wish he would have taken that 7 year deal :(

Edit: I was watching a couple clips from the Pens 2 cup runs in 2008 and 2009. Three things I noticed that are massively different on the cup run compared to last year was that a lot of goals were scored on rebounds around the net, there was a lot more cycling and there was just more enthusiasm. All 3 of those were lacking in recent years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad