News Article: Mike Hoffman's girlfriend allegedly behind Karlsson Harrassment. Update June15: Hoffman & gf respond

Status
Not open for further replies.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
All parties are responsible for letting this issue get as big as it is IMO. (Karlsson’s,Hoffman’s and management)

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
All parties are responsible for letting this issue get as big as it is IMO. (Karlsson’s,Hoffman’s and management)

Well, Melinda wanted to keep it quiet apparently. It would have been best for everyone if it had been, but word got out, and here we are.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
I don't think the Karlssons wanted it to get out.

As for management it depends when they knew who the accused was. As much as I'd love to shit on management, finding out in March is a little too late to do much of anything.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I don't think the Karlssons wanted it to get out.

As for management it depends when they knew who the accused was. As much as I'd love to **** on management, finding out in March is a little too late to do much of anything.

Yeah, some people are blaming Dorion for not trading Hoff at the deadline, but what if Dorion didn’t know about it then? Hard to blame him if that’s the case.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Yeah, some people are blaming Dorion for not trading Hoff at the deadline, but what if Dorion didn’t know about it then? Hard to blame him if that’s the case.

He knew. Why else would you trade a very solid goal scorer who is signed reasonably long term and years away from being too old for a rebuild?

While I think manangement knew, I also don’t think they thought this would go public. They thought they had at least until the draft.

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
He knew. Why else would you trade a very solid goal scorer who is signed reasonably long term and years away from being too old for a rebuild?

While I think manangement knew, I also don’t think they thought this would go public. They thought they had at least until the draft.

I don't think the Sens have said when they found out about this, but we know that Monika Caryk first heard about it on March 22nd [trade deadline was February 26th].

The Sens were also rumoured to be fielding offers for Karlsson, Pageau, Smith, Brassard and a few others around the deadline.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

See, these are the kind of posts that just piss me off.

“He knew.”

You don’t know that. You just don’t. That’s your opinion or assumption that he knew, but you’re passing it off as though it’s fact. If he knew, trading him at the deadline would have been a perfect time.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I don't think the Sens have said when they found out about this, but we know that Monika Caryk first heard about it on March 22nd [trade deadline was February 26th].

The Sens were also rumoured to be fielding offers for Karlsson, Pageau, Smith, Brassard and a few others around the deadline.
Yeah that time line doesn't add up to me either. Seems very unlikely Dorion was aware of the situation in full at the deadline. I'm sure he knew there was drama in the locker room but not the specifics of the cyberbullying allegations.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Technically, you can trade after the deadline. The players involved aren't eligible to play in the playoffs (or is it the rest of the season + playoffs??), iirc.

Of course, it's incredibly rare for that to occur.

There were options available, but all of them (sending a player home, after-deadline trade, etc) would've been extreme. Not much point to do anything since the team was already in the toilet by then.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
Technically, you can trade after the deadline. The players involved aren't eligible to play in the playoffs (or is it the rest of the season + playoffs??), iirc.

There were options available, but all of them (sending a player home, after-deadline trade, etc) would've been extreme. Not much point to do anything since the team was already in the toilet by then.

They're eligible to play the regular season, but not the postseason. Jokkipakka for example, was a guy we acquired after the deadline, and he played a few regular season games for us in 16-17.

EDIT: I'm mistaken.

Last edited:

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
They're eligible to play the regular season, but not the postseason. Jokkipakka for example, was a guy we acquired after the deadline, and he played a few regular season games for us in 16-17.
They’re not eligible for either:

Last edited:
Reactions: BigRig4

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
erly

I'm not sure sending Hoffman home would have been a option. Whats grounds are there for a suspension, cant just send a guy without cause. We don't know what happened behind closed doors or how the organization handled it internally but on the surface there is no reason to be upset with management. It's unfortunate that this has become a public matter but there was very little the organization could have done. Not surprised there are some who are finding away to get upset with Dorion though, theres people who would get upset if he tied his left shoe first.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

Kevin was a deadline day acquisition. A part of the Lazar trade.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I'm not sure sending Hoffman home would have been a option. Whats grounds are there for a suspension, cant just send a guy without cause. We don't know what happened behind closed doors or how the organization handled it internally but on the surface there is no reason to be upset with management. It's unfortunate that this has become a public matter but there was very little the organization could have done. Not surprised there are some who are finding away to get upset with Dorion though, theres people who would get upset if he tied his left shoe first.

It was an option. Definitely not a good one, though. That would kill his trade value a helluva lot more than what's happening now.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
It was an option. Definitely not a good one, though. That would kill his trade value a helluva lot more than what's happening now.

I'm no expert on the matter but I suspect if the senators had suspended Hoffman the NHLPA and his agent would have immediately fought it.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
You can sign a UFA player after the deadline and they can play regular season games but no playoff games. But not traded players.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I'm an Oiler fan so I know your pain now. I don't know what to say. You would have to think Hoffman is gone before the draft. What a mess you guys have right now. Gonna get pennies on the dollar for trades.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
With all this talk about pennies on the dollar, I wonder what effect other scandals were seen to have on player's value. Most scandals aren't nearly as publicly known as this one, but I imagine those in the hockey community (GMs and the like) would have far more access.

When Pronger got traded from Edmonton, there were some really nasty rumours that probably meet the threshold for libel if they aren't true.

When Kane was traded from Winnipeg, there were lots of stories about him being a locker room cancer.

Carter and Richards had lots of stories (though none in the same realm of what's happening in Ottawa) that lead to them getting shipped off.

Of note; the Pronger trade (from Edmonton) might be a decent comparable for Karlsson's value; 2 1st round picks, two recent 1st round drafted players (Lupul 22 yrs old drafted 7th in 02, and Smid 20 yrs old drafted 9th OA in 04) and a 2nd round pick. Pronger was 30 at the time.

Hoffman, I can't think of a comparable...

Reactions: MiscBrah

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
With all this talk about pennies on the dollar, I wonder what effect other scandals were seen to have on player's value. Most scandals aren't nearly as publicly known as this one, but I imagine those in the hockey community (GMs and the like) would have far more access.

When Pronger got traded from Edmonton, there were some really nasty rumours that probably meet the threshold for libel if they aren't true.

When Kane was traded from Winnipeg, there were lots of stories about him being a locker room cancer.

Carter and Richards had lots of stories (though none in the same realm of what's happening in Ottawa) that lead to them getting shipped off.

Of note; the Pronger trade (from Edmonton) might be a decent comparable for Karlsson's value; 2 1st round picks, two recent 1st round drafted players (Lupul 22 yrs old drafted 7th in 02, and Smid 20 yrs old drafted 9th OA in 04) and a 2nd round pick. Pronger was 30 at the time.

Hoffman, I can't think of a comparable...

Doug Gilmour was worse.

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ

If this is real, she’s not very good.

Flyers fan here - wow, this is tragic/dramatic/heartbreaking but I am really interested in it.

This right here (the troll account using a name very similar to Hoffman's GF) makes it seem far LESS likely it actually is her. It seems like someone who wants others to believe it's her by basically using her name with a very small change to it. Seems like someone wants to get back at the Karlsson's and simultaneously hates Hoffman's GF and this was what they did.

Take a Bath Son

Jan 15, 2018
Flyers fan here - wow, this is tragic/dramatic/heartbreaking but I am really interested in it.

This right here (the troll account using a name very similar to Hoffman's GF) makes it seem far LESS likely it actually is her. It seems like someone who wants others to believe it's her by basically using her name with a very small change to it. Seems like someone wants to get back at the Karlsson's and simultaneously hates Hoffman's GF and this was what they did.

While I have no idea what actually transpired; if I was to harbour a guess, I would say there was already bad blood between the 2 women, but someone else is seizing on an opportunity to fan the flames for unknown reasons. Either that or Monique Caryque is one can short of a 6 pack.

Reactions: FlyersMania2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad