News Article: Mike Hoffman's girlfriend allegedly behind Karlsson Harrassment. Update June15: Hoffman & gf respond

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
There's no way you create a troll account that so closely resembles your last name then vehemently deny what was done. Someone definitely made that account to give the impression it was Hoffman's GF. Sounds like the girls all had some issues in Ottawa - some cliques or whatever. Having witnessed the female dynamic in the pro hockey world, I'd venture to say it was a scorned puck bunny who had been around enough to know the other girls hate Hoffman's GF and at some point had hooked up with EK. The sort of nastiness coming out in the comments about the wife being on pain killers and the baby - super dark stuff - a girl who is jealous of EK's wife would write them, not just a catty GF of another player.

...unless you had several burner accounts on the go, and used the wrong one by mistake.

lol, we've seen that on occasion here in HF.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Oh of course. But for them to go this far and I think they have a pretty good idea that there is some irrefutable evidence.

There was a girl on Twitter who said that she did a similar act to her sister who was her friend . She created a fake Facebook account with her sister's name and pics and used it to bash all her friends . So, she know her way around this type of stuff. Tattoo Gods I think her Twitter handle was or something...
I kind of think this is all going to end with nobody really knowing. I think they have enough to assume it was her, but not enough to prove it. I dont see why they wouldnt have backed up their claim when asked by Hoffman if they did, it seemed like a reasonable request on his part.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I said it before in this thread, there's still pieces to this story that don't line up whatsoever. This entire campaign of cyberbullying against the Karlssons doesn't arise from someone who simply has a casual dislike of someone else. To orchestrate this level of online bullying requires a lot of time and dedication and the person doing it would have to possess some kind of hatred for the person(s) being targeted.

And then in doing some research about the lawyer that Hoffman and Caryk hired, I don't understand why she would have taken the case. She specializes in corporate law. In her bio, her representative work includes the Green Party, Nortel, a major Canadian railway and Manulife Financial.

I mean just read this:

Best Lawyers' Best Lawyers in Canada—Leading lawyer in administrative and public law, bet-the-company litigation, class action litigation, international arbitration, corporate and commercial litigation, defamation and media law, director and officer liability practice, legal malpractice law and securities law (2009-2018)

Why would someone with her expertise and credentials take on a personal case like this? You can't say it's about money because she definitely makes more in corporate cases. She probably doesn't like to lose cases and if the evidence is as slam dunk as we've been led to believe then she probably wouldn't have signed on in the first place.

I'm just not sure I understand these two fundamental issues about this whole bizarre thing. Does this make sense to anyone else?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Ok, so just to understand this one: When she was in college, she created a malicious facebook account using the victims name. But, now that she's grown up, she creates a bunch of burner accounts using variations on her own name?

Also weird: an account started in April this year in Florida talks about her sister's experience. When asked what college it happened in, she just says in Ontario.

Idk, Not really enough there for me to take this as fact.

Reactions: Sensational Ride

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
From what I understand Block is a litigator and head of Torys’ defamation/dispute resolution practise. She is an absolute killer and one of the best lawyers in Canada. Also corporate lawyers don’t care about losing cases insofar as most cases never see trial.

Most large law firms only represent corporate clients, but they occasionally take on individual clients as well (very common in trusts and estates work and white collar criminal defense).

And don’t worry. She is getting majorly paid. Maybe a slight discount because of the publicity but lawyers like that don’t come cheap (unsure of what the exact billing rates for a senior partner would be on Bay Street these days - $800 to $1000 an hour maybe?).

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Isn't Melinda's family worth substantially more than Erik? Perhaps the family business stepped on a corporate toe or two in that law firm.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
traded with Donahey and a 5th to SJ for bodker some Dman I never heard of and a 6th

Terrible trade, but I guess given the circumstances

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
Not sure if this was mentioned previously, but NBC “Dateline aired a show last Friday about harassing email messages. A woman was accused of harassing and setting up “rape fantasies”, targeting the victim, on Craig’s List. The accused spent some time in jail before it came to light that she was set up by the alleged victim. Not saying at all that this is what happened in Ottawa, but it can take time and sound detective work for the truth to come out.

Reactions: Cosmix

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Ok, so just to understand this one: When she was in college, she created a malicious facebook account using the victims name. But, now that she's grown up, she creates a bunch of burner accounts using variations on her own name?

Also weird: an account started in April this year in Florida talks about her sister's experience. When asked what college it happened in, she just says in Ontario.

Idk, Not really enough there for me to take this as fact.

If you read more of her posts, she goes on to say how her father took this up with the school, which she later stated was Laurier. And more tidbits to be found if you read more. For me, it clearly shows a pattern of viciousness and cyberbullying expertise.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
traded with Donahey and a 5th to SJ for bodker some Dman I never heard of and a 6th

Terrible trade, but I guess given the circumstances

I just look at it as addition by subtraction and I am sure the captain feels respected. I thought initially he would be put on waivers so to me it is a bonus!

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
Saw this on Kodette Labarbera's Twitter - perhaps all the same person (I imagine someone who would say awful things about a stillborn baby is someone who would say something horrid about a child with autism):

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
True or not, lot's of people in the game coming out of the woodwork about the apparent dislike for Hoffman and his girlfriend. Even if they didn't do this, doesn't seem like they've built much of a support system in the league...

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
No kidding. And this isn't even necessarily a direct tie to the organization. It's a bat**** psychopath unleashing her fury. Could've happened to anyone. But because it happened the way it did, the level of toxicity has reached critical mass. No amount of buckets in the world will bail this dinghy out from the sheer monsoon of hits it's been taking.
Wasn't aware evidence had been found that establishes who was responsible for the madness directed at Mekinda& Erik.

So until then I withold judgement

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Wasn't aware evidence had been found that establishes who was responsible for the madness directed at Mekinda& Erik.

So until then I withold judgement
Totally your prerogative. No public-facing evidence yet. Innocent until proven guilty is an important facet of the court system and Monika Caryk has the right to a fair trial.

Her rights as a human being notwithstanding, it's my opinion that an accusation like this would probably have some serious weight behind it to be brought forward. So I'm of the opinion that she's likely guilty, and basing my opinion as such.

For added clarity: this is an opinion and not a legal statement.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
At the moment I feel sorry for Hoffman... I don't believe he would be aware of his GF's alleged actions. He is being dragged through the mud.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
At the moment I feel sorry for Hoffman... I don't believe he would be aware of his GF's alleged actions. He is being dragged through the mud.
If he wasn't aware, he's oblivious – especially after the alleged confrontation in the parking lot with EK. And regardless of whether he knew at the time or not, he knows now. His choice to defend her and stick up for her, while admirable if he truly believes her to be innocent, is a big reason why his stock is sinking. Cutting ties with her would go a long way to restoring his image... but of course, love is never that simple.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad