News Article: Mike Hoffman's girlfriend allegedly behind Karlsson Harrassment. Update June15: Hoffman & gf respond

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
This blew up after the season, but no doubt this weighed heavily on Karlsson, who looked distracted and unfocused literally every night. Now, one can understand why...

I wonder what happened for this to have gone public...

Instead this was clearly an attempt by Karlsson to ruin Hoffman's career and livelihood. The wrath and vengefulness to expose this and further embarrass this franchise tells me that Karlsson is gone and left a tire fire behind. Or else it would have stayed under wraps. If he cared about the team.

I mentioned a month ago that he was on the warpath and it was going to get ugly, but never thought it would get this bad.

Your theory falls apart because we already know how it became public. A Citizen reporter found the Karlssons' peace bond application while looking through publicly available court docs.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Your theory falls apart because we already know how it became public. A Citizen reporter found the Karlssons' peace bond application while looking through publicly available court docs.

Macramella was on the radio the other day and was saying the court docs in this particular case were sealed and he had no idea how the reporter managed to get them. Not sure if that's accurate, but I don't see why he'd lie about it.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Macramella was on the radio the other day and was saying the court docs in this particular case were sealed and he had no idea how the reporter managed to get them. Not sure if that's accurate, but I don't see why he'd lie about it.

Well this is intriguing.

So someone talked then? That could be bad because then you have to think "who benefits" and there aren't a lot of options.

If the Karlssons leaked this, that is not a good look for them at all.

On the other hand, maybe the people trying to pressure Melnyk into selling leaked it?

Talk about a mess...

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Well this is intriguing.

So someone talked then? That could be bad because then you have to think "who benefits" and there aren't a lot of options.

If the Karlssons leaked this, that is not a good look for them at all.

On the other hand, maybe the people trying to pressure Melnyk into selling leaked it?

Talk about a mess...
It could also just be a case of the reporter being well connected. Hard to tell.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The reporter would be putting someone's job at risk by publishing.

Entirely possible just seems less likely.

It's not like the documents in question are only accessible by one person. And reporters publish information that isn't public record all the time, this isn't really that unusual.

I also got a kick out of Macramella noting that there was a spelling error on Karlsson's wife's (I think) last name .

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It's not like the documents in question are only accessible by one person. And reporters publish information that isn't public record all the time, this isn't really that unusual.

I also got a kick out of Macramella noting that there was a spelling error on Karlsson's wife's (I think) last name .

Small town and Ken Warren is a institution. I just have a hard time believing him going with this story, if it was leaked to him by someone within the courts, wouldn't get traced back.

Although that does seem more likely than the Karlssons leaking this.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
My understanding is the application is publicly available but the evidence filed within (likely an affidavit) is sealed.

If it was leaked, there is a chance the Karlsson’s asked their lawyer to leak it. Just like with any leak, sometimes it’s deliberate.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Small town and Ken Warren is a institution. I just have a hard time believing him going with this story, if it was leaked to him by someone within the courts, wouldn't get traced back.

Although that does seem more likely than the Karlssons leaking this.
Ken Warren didn't break this story, Shaamini Yogaretnam did.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
My understanding is the application is publicly available but the evidence filed within (likely an affidavit) is sealed.

If it was leaked, there is a chance the Karlsson’s asked their lawyer to leak it. Just like with any leak, sometimes it’s deliberate.

I'll have to listen to the segment again (assuming it's available on the web), because Macramella seemed shocked that they got the documents that they did have, when discussing that the evidence would be part of the application, but because the file is sealed, we don't know what it is.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012

Do you know what day/time this was on? I would like to listen to it. I think he's talking about this: https://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov...cess_to_court_documents-EN.html#_Toc436219245

2.2.3 Documents Relating to a Peace Bond Application
An individual or peace officer may make an application to the court for a peace bond to request that a person be ordered to keep the peace. To begin the application, the complainant presents an Information at an initial interview with a justice of the peace.
If the justice of the peace issues process, any documents relating to the application are accessible to the public once the defendant has been served with the summons (or in rare circumstances, has been arrested), unless otherwise ordered by the court. If the justice of the peace refuses to issue process, there is no public access to the documents.

This is really interesting because the application was apparently never served on Caryk. That would lead to the conclusion that they would not be publically available. The only other option would be "unless otherwise ordered by the Court." I don't see why the Karlssons' would have requested this or why the Justice would have ordered this on a whim.

I actually had a chat yesterday about the documents possibly being leaked. The timelines didn't really make sense to me given that the application was filed over a month ago. Combine that with the above and the fact that the Karlssons' haven't made a peep yet.

This could be their attempt at having a public backlash against Hoffman/Caryk and force a trade of Karlsson without having to present their actual evidence at a hearing.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Do you know what day/time this was on? I would like to listen to it. I think he's talking about this: https://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov...cess_to_court_documents-EN.html#_Toc436219245

2.2.3 Documents Relating to a Peace Bond Application
An individual or peace officer may make an application to the court for a peace bond to request that a person be ordered to keep the peace. To begin the application, the complainant presents an Information at an initial interview with a justice of the peace.
If the justice of the peace issues process, any documents relating to the application are accessible to the public once the defendant has been served with the summons (or in rare circumstances, has been arrested), unless otherwise ordered by the court. If the justice of the peace refuses to issue process, there is no public access to the documents.

This is really interesting because the application was apparently never served on Caryk. That would lead to the conclusion that they would not be publically available. The only other option would be "unless otherwise ordered by the Court." I don't see why the Karlssons' would have requested this or why the Justice would have ordered this on a whim.

I actually had a chat yesterday about the documents possibly being leaked. The timelines didn't really make sense to me given that the application was filed over a month ago. Combine that with the above and the fact that the Karlssons' haven't made a peep yet.

This could be their attempt at having a public backlash against Hoffman/Caryk and force a trade of Karlsson without having to present their actual evidence at a hearing.

I likely heard it between 4 and 5, as that's when I drive home from work. I think it was either Thursday or Tuesday, as I car pooled Wednesday and wouldn't have listened to TSN 1200.

Guessing it was this segment: https://www.tsn.ca/radio/ottawa-1200/the-drive-hour-3-1.1113059

Can't check at work though

Reactions: MiscBrah

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
The only way out of this mess is for the team to approach Hoffman and Sarah Silverman his fiancée.
If the allegations are true, I doubt his fiancée is evil. I doubt she is completely insane.

(Sarah Silverman befriended an online troll and got him help. Sarah Silverman's response to a Twitter troll is a master class in compassion | CBC Radio)

However, she must be in a lot of pain to lash out like that. She must have some form of depression or affect that has engulfed her mood. IF the team could convince her to seek help, make reparations, ask for forgiveness, this whole issue could be turned into a good thing. It could be turned into a prototype case for dealing with cyber-bullying behaviour.

You can't discard people. People make mistakes. I'd rather see this young woman get some help and clarity in her life rather than the team just move the problem along by trading Hoffman. The Sens have an opportunity here to really get ahead of this and be a leader on the issue. They have two players that are hurting right now.

The answer shouldn't be 'how much can the team get for a damaged asset?'.

The answer should be 'we have two incredible talents. How do we help this young woman get help and bring the Karlssons some peace?' You have four young, healthy, talented people that are now all hurting. Show some leadership and get some professional help for them.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
The only way out of this mess is for the team to approach Hoffman and Sarah Silverman his fiancée.
If the allegations are true, I doubt his fiancée is evil. I doubt she is completely insane.

(Sarah Silverman befriended an online troll and got him help. Sarah Silverman's response to a Twitter troll is a master class in compassion | CBC Radio)

However, she must be in a lot of pain to lash out like that. She must have some form of depression or affect that has engulfed her mood. IF the team could convince her to seek help, make reparations, ask for forgiveness, this whole issue could be turned into a good thing. It could be turned into a prototype case for dealing with cyber-bullying behaviour.

You can't discard people. People make mistakes. I'd rather see this young woman get some help and clarity in her life rather than the team just move the problem along by trading Hoffman. The Sens have an opportunity here to really get ahead of this and be a leader on the issue. They have two players that are hurting right now.

The answer should be 'we have two incredible talents. How do we help this young woman get help and bring the Karlssons some peace?' You have four young, healthy, talented people that are now all hurting. Show some leadership and get some professional help for them.

Excellent post.

Reactions: danielpalfredsson

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

Nah. They should just dump Hoffman and move on. It's not the team's job to have an intervention with a fiancee.

Reactions: JD1

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out

They should have hired you for the PR

Reactions: gab6511

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
Stuff like this leaks all the time, I can't believe people are blaming Karlsson and implying he leaked it on purpose.
This fanbase doesn't deserve him, or the 2nd round pick we will inevitably give away with him in a deal

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Nah. They should just dump Hoffman and move on. It's not the team's job to have an intervention with a fiancee.
I think you missed my point. It is an opportunity for the club to show leadership. Right now Hoffman, his fiancée, the Karlssons, they are all hurting. Just as a general rule, you don't discard people. You get them help.

Look at Nick Boynton's story in the Players Tribune. (Everything's Not O.K. | By Nick Boynton)
He asked for help from his club and was instantly traded away and that caused him several more years of hardship. Then GM Holmgren got him help. They didn't discard him. They helped him. These are people and right now they need some help. Nobody is happy in that situation and the Karlssons are really hurting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad