News Article: Mike Hoffman's girlfriend allegedly behind Karlsson Harrassment. Update June15: Hoffman & gf respond

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Stuff like this leaks all the time, I can't believe people are blaming Karlsson and implying he leaked it on purpose.
This fanbase doesn't deserve him, or the 2nd round pick we will inevitably give away with him in a deal

The only people who would have had a copy and even knew that it existed are Melinda and presumably her lawyer. I'll add EK in there as well as he likely knew as well.

I can't speculate on this while providing an actual factual basis behind my reasoning, but others can speculate on Caryk being a sugar baby and all manner of other things with no links to reality?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I think you missed my point. It is an opportunity for the club to show leadership. Right now Hoffman, his fiancée, the Karlssons, they are all hurting. Just as a general rule, you don't discard people. You get them help.

I didn't miss your point. This isn't Mike Hoffman needing help for a hockey-related injury or something else. It's Mike Hoffman's fiance being an absolutely terrible human being. I have no compassion for her and I see no reason to just jump into the belief that she needs help or is hurting.

Don't use actual mental health issues as a crutch to explain away her alleged behavior.

Reactions: TheNewEra

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I didn't miss your point. This isn't Mike Hoffman needing help for a hockey-related injury or something else. It's Mike Hoffman's fiance being an absolutely terrible human being. I have no compassion for her and I see no reason to just jump into the belief that she needs help or is hurting.

Don't use actual mental health issues as a crutch to explain away her alleged behavior.

People are the result of their nature and nurture. Both can be address with the right help. Frankly, anybody who does what Hoffman's fiance is accused of needs help. I don't think that's even up for debate. I wouldn't blame the team from walking away from this mess, but imo the only way to turn this into a win is to at the very least offer the help to all the parties involved. You can't make somebody change, but you can provide the tools and support to give them a chance.

Sensfanatic

Nov 8, 2014

It appears that you're actually quite selective at "just jumping to beliefs" given that no concrete evidence establishing guilt has been revealed. Incredible how quickly unsubstantiated allegations become social media convictions these days.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa

Really not sure if serious. People are not cartoons. This young woman isn't the devil. But the main thing to bear in mind is that there are no simple answers to complex problems. And the alleged online behaviour most certainly demonstrated that there are indeed some underlying mental health issues.

Try and imagine a situation where your daughter comes to you with this story. And she is the one who has made these horrible tweets and posts. Do you simply shun her? Or would you try to get her some help and figure out what the hell is going so wrong in her life that she feels the need to lash out?

If you cannot place yourself in a mindset where you are open to feeling some empathy, I feel bad for you. I am 100% in support of owning your behaviour and being accountable. This young woman needs to make reparations and seek forgiveness. But she also needs help.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Really not sure if serious. People are not cartoons. This young woman isn't the devil. But the main thing to bear in mind is that there are no simple answers to complex problems. And the alleged online behaviour most certainly demonstrated that there are indeed some underlying mental health issues.

Try and imagine a situation where your daughter comes to you with this story. And she is the one who has made these horrible tweets and posts. Do you simply shun her? Or would you try to get her some help and figure out what the hell is going so wrong in her life that she feels the need to lash out?

If you cannot place yourself in a mindset where you are open to feeling some empathy, I feel bad for you. I am 100% in support of owning your behaviour and being accountable. This young woman needs to make reparations and seek forgiveness. But she also needs help.
The problem is that there are no effective treatments for Sociopathy/Psychopathy. IF she is guilty of these actions, then the Sens would be right to offer help, but Hoffman would be well advised to run for the hills.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
You mean other than the multi-billion dollar pharmaceutical industry that produce medication for those ailments?

I have always read there is no medication to stop or "cure" psychopathy though? If you have it, youre stuck with it.

Or was this a dig at the industry for producing medication that doesn't work and selling it for profit? I can't read tone here. :laugh:

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
You mean other than the multi-billion dollar pharmaceutical industry that produce medication for those ailments?

He's partially correct. There is really no treatment for personality disorders. You can have certain medication to manage side-effects of the personality disorder (depression/anxiety) or attempt psychotherapy, but there's no actual cure for something like a narcissistic personality disorder.

Although, I want to add that there's been no evidence so far that Caryk has a personality disorder and it's unlikely that she actually does.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Does anyone know what precipitated behaviour this aggressive? These guys have been teammates for years now. And then all of a sudden Hoffman's fiancee starts allegedly targeting Melinda Karlsson and Erik in an orchestrated campaign of vicious social media attacks that continued to escalate throughout the year and included multiple accounts? All this out of the blue?

This kind of effort typically comes from a vengeance type state of mind. It doesn't seem like the work of someone who has a casual dislike of another person.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
It appears that you're actually quite selective at "just jumping to beliefs" given that no concrete evidence establishing guilt has been revealed. Incredible how quickly unsubstantiated allegations become social media convictions these days.

They are no longer unsubstantiated with the other wives speaking up. It's still all an unproven allegation, but it's certainly substantiated. Whether or not you believe the evidence is another story.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Does anyone know what precipitated behaviour this aggressive? These guys have been teammates for years now. And then all of a sudden Hoffman's fiancee starts allegedly targeting Melinda Karlsson and Erik in an orchestrated campaign of vicious social media attacks that continued to escalate throughout the year and included multiple accounts? All this out of the blue?

This kind of effort typically comes from a vengeance type state of mind. It doesn't seem like the work of someone who has a casual dislike of another person.

I'm thinking brain tumor
hqdefault.jpg

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
They are no longer unsubstantiated with the other wives speaking up. It's still all an unproven allegation, but it's certainly substantiated. Whether or not you believe the evidence is another story.

I believe the word you're looking for is corroborated and even then stretch to say that vague opinions in support of Melinda are actually corroborating anything.

The claims are not in any way substantiated by having Melinda's friends lending their support.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I believe the word you're looking for is corroborated and even then stretch to say that vague opinions in support of Melinda are actually corroborating anything.

The claims are not in any way substantiated by having Melinda's friends lending their support.

No. Substantiate works just as well. The words are synonymous. They both mean to "offer evidence of or support to". One definition of substantiate is literally "to corroborate".

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
No. Substantiate works just as well. The words are synonymous. They both mean to "offer evidence of or support to". One definition of substantiate is literally "to corroborate".

I'll retract that then - both words don't work as the tweets from other wives do not substantiate or corroborate anything.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I'll retract that then - both words don't work as the tweets from other wives do not substantiate or corroborate anything.

Sure they do. They provide evidence of her bad character. It's really all hearsay evidence but it's evidence nonetheless. Again, whether you choose to believe it or not is the question.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
The only people who would have had a copy and even knew that it existed are Melinda and presumably her lawyer. I'll add EK in there as well as he likely knew as well.

I can't speculate on this while providing an actual factual basis behind my reasoning, but others can speculate on Caryk being a sugar baby and all manner of other things with no links to reality?

Plus the court officer(s) who saw the filing. One can imagine that something of this nature would lead to a good deal of gossip around the courthouse. Only takes someone repeating the rumour to the reporter (or the reporter overhearing it being discussed) for it to come to light.

Sensfanatic

Nov 8, 2014
He's partially correct. There is really no treatment for personality disorders. You can have certain medication to manage side-effects of the personality disorder (depression/anxiety) or attempt psychotherapy, but there's no actual cure for something like a narcissistic personality disorder.

Although, I want to add that there's been no evidence so far that Caryk has a personality disorder and it's unlikely that she actually does.

Let's just clarify a few things. Personality disorders are quite a broad category and there are certainly effective treatments for many of them, both talking and medication based (although you are correct that medication is often used for secondary symptoms such as anxiety etc.).

Psychopathy is a term derived from the British school of character pathology. In North America the term is "antisocial personality" (or conduct disorder in children). Narcissistic personality is a different entity altogether and there is strong evidence that psychotherapy can be effective in treating this disorder, although it can take time and effort.

As for the antisocial personality, there is NO evidence that any treatment has a positive impact likely due to the fact that it is a neurodevelopment disorder and they lack the brain's "remorse mechanism". The only treatment for severe cases is behavioural (ie. limit their freedom to engage in antisocial acts).

Anyone purposely threatening or harassing someone with the intent of causing them harm is engaging in antisocial behaviour, whether that constitutes a personality disorder is dependant on many other factors.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Sure they do. They provide evidence of her bad character. It's really all hearsay evidence but it's evidence nonetheless. Again, whether you choose to believe it or not is the question.

The tweets don't actually say anything though. The allegation made by Melinda is death threats, threats against EK, and negative and derogatory statements about Melinda as a professional.

None of the tweets by the WAGs say anything about that.

1. Julie Retweeted Ottawa Citizen
    This crossed the line from cyber bullying to something entirely different in April. Unfortunate that this private matter has become public. Incredibly proud of my girl for standing up for herself and her family, it took courage.
    Julie added,

‏ @TaylorWinnik Jun 12
  2. Taylor Winnik Retweeted Ottawa Sun
    I’ve read hundreds of these comments being made. They are unrelenting, methodical and disturbing. This person has no business going anywhere near the women in the hockey community ever again.

3. ‏ @KodetteLaBarbs Jun 12
    Kodette LaBarbera Retweeted Marlee Hammond
    Her fixation with Mel has always been unhealthy. Then it became scary. So glad Mel is protecting herself. No team will welcome this girl to the room.

4. Marlee Hammond @marlee_kat
    oh man if you only knew how unsurprising this actually is. horrible just horrible. and the worst part of all of this is how @MelindaCurrey just wanted to keep this private because she’s THAT nice of a person even when a person can be this cruel to her.

Sensfanatic

Nov 8, 2014
The root word for substantiated is substance and if you believe the twitter comments by a couple of Melinda's close friends constitutes substance then I suggest you take a pass if you're ever called for jury duty.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Plus the court officer(s) who saw the filing. One can imagine that something of this nature would lead to a good deal of gossip around the courthouse. Only takes someone repeating the rumour to the reporter (or the reporter overhearing it being discussed) for it to come to light.

Right, but the reporter actually has a copy of the application. The rule states that there is no public access to the document until it has been served. Even if she overheard someone talking about it, it's an entirely different matter to get the registrar to hand the document over and allow you to make a photocopy. They are risking their job/career and potentially more if they were to do something like this.

The reporter was actually on Hockey Central yesterday and wouldn't reveal how she got the document.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Right, but the reporter actually has a copy of the application. The rule states that there is no public access to the document until it has been served. Even if she overheard someone talking about it, it's an entirely different matter to get the registrar to hand the document over and allow you to make a photocopy. They are risking their job/career if they were to do something like this.

The reporter was actually on Hockey Central yesterday and wouldn't reveal how she got the document.
Thanks for the info.

Lots of parties with a vested interest in this coming out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad