News Article: Mike Hoffman's girlfriend allegedly behind Karlsson Harrassment. Update June15: Hoffman & gf respond

Status
Not open for further replies.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
In fairness, it was being dealt with in house.

It took a crime reporter digging through legal papers to uncover this to the public.
Kudos to him i suppose,thinking that maybe he could have just let it be as things were looking to be starting to get settled

JBose7

Jun 7, 2013
Hey guys im a Pens fan but wanted to ask this.......what if someone else is setting up Hoffman's girl to take the blame and the stuff that came on social media is the stuff she was texting to a friend or other players wife and they leaked it? I was just interested in knowing how many theories have been thrown around up there and if the legal standard is the same there as in the US. Thanks for any reply

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Yep it does seem like we are a ****en cursed team,we need some real leadership ...Not only to smarten up the dessing room room ,but upper management as well

If the team is sold, Alfie will probably come back. My hypothesis is that no one likes to work with Melnyk (outside of his personality) because he is too conservative financially. The team isn't rich but maybe at some point you need to invest on the right resources if you want to get healthier financially by having more success (winning = $$$).

It made sense to lower the budget 8 years ago as the team went through a rebuild, but despite having some pretty good/great seasons since (2012-13, 2014-15 and 2016-17 notably), the budget is still lower than the league average and it becomes almost impossible to reach the next level or just have continuous success

This **** should have been dealt with in house,airing out dirty laundry in public does no one any good

Karlsson is young and he had to learn. I think he won't be on social medias anymore. My advice to anybody is stay very limited in your social medias usage. There's some good, but there's a lot of bad.

Reactions: topshelf15

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Hey guys im a Pens fan but wanted to ask this.......what if someone else is setting up Hoffman's girl to take the blame and the stuff that came on social media is the stuff she was texting to a friend or other players wife and they leaked it? I was just interested in knowing how many theories have been thrown around up there and if the legal standard is the same there as in the US. Thanks for any reply

Idk, I suspect that as part of the leadup to Karlsson`s wife requesting a peace bond, they probably managed to get twitter/instagram/ect records of IP and MAC addresses for the offending posts. If the IP and MAC lead back to Hoffman's GF, it's really unlikely that she was set up. Maybe I'm wrong, but I currently thing a set up would be one of the least likely scenarios. My suspicion at this point is she will be found to have done all this, or much of it, and Hoffman himself will have plausible deniability wrt his knowledge of what was going on. Off course, that's just my hunch, I'll let things play out a little more before grabbing a pitch fork, but even if the allegations prove to be false, a lot of damage is already done, as even being accused of this probably is enough to destroy any chance of Hoffman remaining on the team given that he and his fiancee will likely be somewhat (to put it mildly) offended by the accusation if it is false.

Reactions: AVE MAN

R2010

May 23, 2011

Although it isn't public yet. There are results of an analysis that has already been done on the origins of some of the accounts.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
can't see twitter here... what did it say?

@SunGarrioch "Statement from Mike Hoffman's agent Robert Hooper on Monika Caryk: "Given the seriousness of the allegations, Monika is meeting with her lawyers and any future comment on her course of action will come from them.""

So you could read that and see how it says , she is meeting with her lawyers and any comment on her course of action as being a more distant language that was used by Hoffman, or its simply a matter of people with much more professional experience in PR have taken over.

Last edited:

JoeSakic

Aug 15, 2006
Where is all this team being sold nonsense coming from? I think it's pretty clear when Bettman makes the statement it isn't happening that it's not.

JBose7

Jun 7, 2013
Although it isn't public yet. There are results of an analysis that has already been done on the origins of some of the accounts.
What would her motive be? I've seen speculation but are the same rumors up there as well?

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
@SunGarrioch "Statement from Mike Hoffman's agent Robert Hooper on Monika Caryk: "Given the seriousness of the allegations, Monika is meeting with her lawyers and any future comment on her course of action will come from them.""

So you could read that and see how it says , she is meeting with her lawyers and any comment on her course of action as being a more distant language that was used by Hoffman, or its simply a matter of people with much more professional experience in PR have taken over.

I thought hockey writers didn't deal with any of these off-ice issues, at least what is being said in many of these threads. They leave these "crime" stories to the "crime" writers.

Just further proof that all the local media guys acting surprised about these allegations.

Last edited:

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
What would her motive be? I've seen speculation but are the same rumors up there as well?

Motive for being mean on the Internet? Doesn’t take much these days, especially not for someone who seems as superficial as Hoff’s (hopefully ex) gf.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I thought hockey writers didn't deal with any of these off-ice issues, at least that's what Mendes said yesterday and what is being said in many of these threads. They leave these "crime" stories to the "crime" writers.

Just further proof that all the local media guys acting surprised about these allegations.

Huh? Mendes said hockey writers don't have the skill set, knowledge of where and how to dig up court documents and contacts to investigate and break something like Karlsson requesting a peace bond. When a players agent makes a statement about an ongoing story, of course hockey media will pick it up.

Reactions: pzeeman

JBose7

Jun 7, 2013
Motive for being mean on the Internet? Doesn’t take much these days, especially not for someone who seems as superficial as Hoff’s (hopefully ex) gf.
What I mean is.....Hoffman has been there a while and always has this girl but there weren't any prior issues? Unless i just dont know that from being from Pittsburgh. Why all of a sudden does she start harrasing ( if its true) EK and his wife?? There must be more to this story. Are there any other prior issues with other women being harassed by her?

Reactions: Rosso Scuderia

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
This **** should have been dealt with in house,airing out dirty laundry in public does no one any good

This was done on social media, which is in the public domain, and not "in house", so the Karlssons had no other recourse but contact the police and go to court, to get it to stop.

Don't see how it could have been dealt with in house, do you?

R2010

May 23, 2011
What I mean is.....Hoffman has been there a while and always has this girl but there weren't any prior issues? Unless i just dont know that from being from Pittsburgh. Why all of a sudden does she start harrasing ( if its true) EK and his wife?? There must be more to this story

There is more to the story but as far as i've been told there isn't one reason explaining why the Karlssons were harassed. Sometimes small things amplify over time.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Huh? Mendes said hockey writers don't have the skill set, knowledge of where and how to dig up court documents and contacts to investigate and break something like Karlsson requesting a peace bond. When a players agent makes a statement about an ongoing story, of course hockey media will pick it up.

Apologies, removed Mendes from my post. Re listened to his segment from yesterday.

Reactions: Micklebot

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012

I think it's the latter. It makes sense for her to get her own legal team with experience in this field vs using Hoffman's agent who likely doesn't have the expertise for this. Also, she would want to have her own lawyer because Hoffman's agent represents him and has a duty to look out for his best interests over her's. Hooper doesn't want to be put in the situation where he is speaking on behalf of both to the detriment of one of them.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Where is all this team being sold nonsense coming from? I think it's pretty clear when Bettman makes the statement it isn't happening that it's not.

Bettman said the same thing about Atlanta literally days before they were sold. He may well be telling the truth in this instance, but Bettman's MO is to always deny a sale, and always insist that the status quo is holding. That's what the owners pay him to do...

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
One thing I'm shocked about is that Melinda, Erik, or their respective attorneys haven't issued a statement yet.

Even a boilerplate, "We are following the legal process regarding the peace bond and will not comment at this time."

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014

I'm a law student and I wouldn't even know how to look up a peace bond application.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I thought that a poster had mentioned that Hoffman's gf was friends with EK's first wife? Could that be where the tension first originated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad