Mike Harrington Bashes the Pegulas

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Yeah, his usual shtick happens to align with our feelings. But it's easy to scream about how to fix things when nothing is working. It doesn't mean he knows what will fix things.

Last edited:

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Don’t want to give that man clicks, for those that have read it, anything he says which we haven’t seen on these boards?

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Don’t want to give that man clicks, for those that have read it, anything he says which we haven’t seen on these boards?

Yes, quite a bit. He does make some interesting points, I’d read it. No one’s getting rich off your click unless you have a subscription so I wouldn’t worry too much.

MrMaster

Apr 20, 2016
Usually with rich couples, the woman is making the decisions, while the man is the representative providing wealth.
So, catering to Kim is more important.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Yes, quite a bit. He does make some interesting points, I’d read it. No one’s getting rich off your click unless you have a subscription so I wouldn’t worry too much.

Phil should be replaced

Ottawa NJ were the last straw

The Pegula's are bad at owning a team

Yeah.. never saw any of that mentioned here :rolleyes:

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

Just finished reading it, yeah, everything he has said in this, was said by posters here. I did laugh at the Bylsma comment, because I actually believe Mike doesn't think this ownership that he is currently criticizing would hire two bad coaches in a row.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
As for his comments on Botterill -- I don't agree that taking the Team Canada braintrust position as a bad thing. Prepping to replace his coach need not disturb his ability to evaluate personnel both on-ice and off-ice.

The Red Helmet

Dec 19, 2007
They spent literally billions of dollars of their own money and continue to improve the facilities for their players to help them stay healthy and get better at their sport.

They have saved sports in the city of Buffalo and continued to try to make the teams competitive. They are not gods for saving the teams but they easily could have said **** it, not worth the time and money.

They continue to immerse themselves in the sports and yet, on a message board, people are Monday morning quarterbacking every decision they made.

So they need to do something with the Sabres staff, yes. Will I lump all the blame if they don't? No.

So basically we should all shut our mouths and be happy regardless of the Sabres consistently being in the bottom 5 of the league yearly. I love the Pegula's and the commitment they have made to the city but they deserve heavy criticism for their handling of the Sabres. It has been a total embarrassment.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
As for his comments on Botterill -- I don't agree that taking the Team Canada braintrust position as a bad thing. Prepping to replace his coach need not disturb his ability to evaluate personnel both on-ice and off-ice.
A fresh perspective and new experience is always a good thing. If he comes out of that as a better GM, then it benefits the franchise.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
A fresh perspective and new experience is always a good thing. If he comes out of that as a better GM, then it benefits the franchise.

Indeed. Expand his circle of contacts, get some hands-on viewing of the various WC teams personnel, getting out of the shit-show that is the Sabres season to get some level of mental refreshment... I can't see how that is bad if the only thing is looking for a new coach or interviewing those people if that is (hopefully) what comes to pass.

Member 308457

So basically we should all shut our mouths and be happy regardless of the Sabres consistently being in the bottom 5 of the league yearly. I love the Pegula's and the commitment they have made to the city but they deserve heavy criticism for their handling of the Sabres. It has been a total embarrassment.

It's like Buffalo has made a deal with the devil. In exchange of keeping its two (mediocre) sports teams and increasing its sports infrastructure, the city will be subject to the Pegulas' managerial bungling and meddling forever, dooming the teams and fans to failure. The constant losing has taken its toll not only on the embarrassed and now-cynical fan base, but has most certainly ruined the psyche of many players, including Girgensons, Ristolainen, Larsson and others who have been here through this whole fiasco. Is Eichel/Reinhardt in the process of being ruined?

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
It's like Buffalo has made a deal with the devil. In exchange of keeping its two (mediocre) sports teams and increasing its sports infrastructure, the city will be subject to the Pegulas' managerial bungling and meddling forever, dooming the teams and fans to failure. The constant losing has taken its toll not only on the embarrassed and now-cynical fan base, but has most certainly ruined the psyche of many players, including Girgensons, Ristolainen, Larsson and others who have been here through this whole fiasco. Is Eichel/Reinhardt in the process of being ruined?

Sounds like you have the beginning of a class action suit. Better call Barnes.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I have to admit, reading the Pegula comments in the Athletic did not give me a warm and fuzzy feeling that firing Housley was a certainty.

Reactions: Chainshot

Moncton man

Jan 11, 2011
Moncton, NB
Maybe they should sell to an out of town person/group that knows more about professional hockey?
From how I see it, owners of sports teams have a completely different interest than fans of said sports teams.

For fans it is about winning championships. For owners I believe that is secondary.

Because of that I think people are happy to jump on the Pegula's because their teams aren't winning and think that someone else taking the team(s) over will make them winners, which isn't always going to happen.

What have the Pegula's given Buffalo? An indication that they are there for the long haul. The bought the Bills and Sabres among many other teams, have invested in the Harborcenter as well. Probability exists that they have other property investments in the area as well (I don't know that, just guessing with their financial wealth they could own other business property etc.).

As long as people follow the sports teams (and why wouldn't we, we're lifers after all), spend their money on merchandise, go to games etc. etc. the Pegulas in this specific case, and owners of other franchises, are happy to see the money increase their wealth via their many investments.

Does that mean they are doing a good job? No, but has their money provided financial stability to both the sports teams and the city of Buffalo (and Rochester)? Yes, and that's a good thing.

All that said, as a fan... hurry up and fix the nightmare that are the Sabres. Pretty please?

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
Reinhardt

Cmon man

Reactions: Eichel9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad