Mike Harrington Bashes the Pegulas

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Knew it right away once Pegula was introduced that he was a failure (I posted as such on another board that most here know of)

It was his defense of Lindy Ruff when the team was collapsing in 2011 (only to be bailed out by Enroth down the stretch who was then benched for Miller who cost us that Philly series while Philly changed goalies as necessary to win) that made it clear he had no clue what he was doing
Didn't Miller have two shutouts in that playoff series?

Didn't that Sabres team start 2010-11 with the worst record in the East through like January, and then go on a tear in the last half to make the playoffs? They weren't collapsing, they were feverishly climbing.

What a post

Fearnot

Nov 13, 2013
New York
Then put together a group of respected hockey minds to brainstorm and come up with potential candidates for the role. Form a search committee. Outsource it to a professional sports group. Just because they're at the top doesn't mean they need to make the decisions themselves, but that's what they keep doing. For reasons.
Myllz is my spirit animal.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
That’s the example you’re going to use? Seriously?

wasn't just that. His force feeding of Hecht when Hecht was playing at Sobotka level. Having Myers bulk up to levels that stripped him of his rookie speed. Vanek doing well on the PK and scoring shorties, then taking him off

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Didn't Miller have two shutouts in that playoff series?

Didn't that Sabres team start 2010-11 with the worst record in the East through like January, and then go on a tear in the last half to make the playoffs? They weren't collapsing, they were feverishly climbing.

What a post

the final push came with Enroth

And Boucher had some good games for Philly that series. When he struggled, he got yanked. Something Ruff refused to do

Miller was bad that series. Game 2 was AWFUL. He blew a 3 goal lead in game 5. Games 6 and 7 were a trainwreck. Shutout in game 4 includes saves by Myers and Gaustad on the goal line

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
The Pegulas have been horrid since day 1. Kim Pegula is clueless. terry as well but since he smoked a cigar in that Sopranos Buffalo video and helped deliver season tix hes cool.

Terry Pegula is just a narcissist clown. I will never forget the 1st game in Buffalo after he bought the team. During a stop in play they introduced him talking about Pegulaville while sitting in the 300s with just the smuggest look I have ever seen. Dan Snyder of the NHL.

Are you for real? The guy drops hundreds of millions of dollars to fulfill a lifelong dream and you want to call him out for being smug?

You win a Mike Harrington Junior Achiever Award.

Buffalo Norsemen

Mar 7, 2019
Sportsplex
If you think the employment history of the organization is going to attract the top president that's probably highly unlikely.

Let's hope they were just keeping information close to the vest and playing a bit naive in Arizona and that something is brewing in a few weeks.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
While I think criticism of the pegulas is fair game, please remember: without terry pegula, the bills and the sabres are long gone. The pegulas lose money on the Sabre’s yearly. The bills offset that mostly, so it’s a net neutral. My biggest worry for the immediate future is that coaching/management hires will be limited to people who share the same religious beliefs as the pegulas.

Reactions: jc17

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY
There are currently 6 “President of Hockey Ops” or similar roles in NHL front offices at this current time. It’s a waste. Botterill better get his shit together this offseason, starting with Housley. Besides being pretty bad public speakers, I don’t quite see what more the owners could’ve done differently to avoid this mess.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
There are currently 6 “President of Hockey Ops” or similar roles in NHL front offices at this current time. It’s a waste. Botterill better get his **** together this offseason, starting with Housley. Besides being pretty bad public speakers, I don’t quite see what more the owners could’ve done differently to avoid this mess.

6 out of 31 teams have a President of Hockey Ops?

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
Instead of getting his point across, he really just comes off as a pretentious *******, which is pretty par for the course with Harrington.

Who cares? If he's right, he's right.

And here, he's right.

He was also right when he called out that loser BOGO and asked if the team was toast...triggering BOGO to mention how he stands up for each and every guy in the room, the playoff race is not over, blah blah blah.

Wonder what BOGO thinks now?

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
There are currently 6 “President of Hockey Ops” or similar roles in NHL front offices at this current time. It’s a waste. Botterill better get his **** together this offseason, starting with Housley. Besides being pretty bad public speakers, I don’t quite see what more the owners could’ve done differently to avoid this mess.
When Pegula cleaned house a couple years ago he repeatedly expressed the need to bring "experience" to the franchise. Everyone enthusiastically agreed with that assessment. And yet a few months later he goes and hires a rookie GM and a high school hockey coach. What the f*** happened, Terry?

Reactions: Drunkard

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
Then put together a group of respected hockey minds to brainstorm and come up with potential candidates for the role. Form a search committee. Outsource it to a professional sports group. Just because they're at the top doesn't mean they need to make the decisions themselves, but that's what they keep doing. For reasons.

A lot of Sabres and Bills fans don't seem to get this. I have been lobbying for a hockey czar for a long time, b/c Pegula is clueless. He only knows what "Botts" is telling him, and Botts is biased and has conflicts of interest all over the place.

I firmly believe, for example, that Pegula hired Rex Ryan as Bills coach b/c Rex is charismatic, charming, and was able to talk "old time AFL football" with Pegula in a way that made him feel comfortable with Ryan and like him.

Pegula now seems to think Botterill is a good GM b/c he has 3 World Junior gold medals. He thinks Housley is or will become a good coach because he was a great player.

Terry Pegula will become the worst enemy of this fanbase if he isn't already. Which is ironic, considering many consider him our savior.

Quite a pickle we're in.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013

And here, he's right.

He was also right when he called out that loser BOGO and asked if the team was toast...triggering BOGO to mention how he stands up for each and every guy in the room, the playoff race is not over, blah blah blah.

Are you the guy who challenged him to a workout?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Certainly note worthy that he mentions Kim Pegula ran Pat LaFontaine out of town

I actually heard the story a few weeks ago from one of my best friends who was told it directly by another Sabres beat writer.
Not trying to get overly involved here, but this story has been going around for years. She didn't like something Lafontaine said (no idea what it was), and she canned him over something that had almost nothing to do with hockey. I mentioned it over a year ago on the boards.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Not trying to get overly involved here, but this story has been going around for years. She didn't like something Lafontaine said (no idea what it was), and she canned him over something that had almost nothing to do with hockey. I mentioned it over a year ago on the boards.

By going around, do you mean being posted by leaf fans, or has it been reported?

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
A lot of Sabres and Bills fans don't seem to get this. I have been lobbying for a hockey czar for a long time, b/c Pegula is clueless. He only knows what "Botts" is telling him, and Botts is biased and has conflicts of interest all over the place.

I firmly believe, for example, that Pegula hired Rex Ryan as Bills coach b/c Rex is charismatic, charming, and was able to talk "old time AFL football" with Pegula in a way that made him feel comfortable with Ryan and like him.

Pegula now seems to think Botterill is a good GM b/c he has 3 World Junior gold medals. He thinks Housley is or will become a good coach because he was a great player.

Terry Pegula will become the worst enemy of this fanbase if he isn't already. Which is ironic, considering many consider him our savior.

Quite a pickle we're in.
What was that quote from Batman? You either die the hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
By going around, do you mean being posted by leaf fans, or has it been reported?
I was told it by someone who works in the scouting community. The same place I heard you hired Jankowski as your scouting director before anyone else on this board.

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC

And here, he's right.

Much to your dismay, a lot of people care. Harrington is a second-rate hack. The question you mention was actually asked to Reinhart, not Bogosian, and it was equally stupid. Players don't want to be asked questions that the reporters already know the answer to, and are just asking to get a rise out of them.

Go figure Tim Graham's also accusing the article of spreading misinformation. People need to learn their lesson with Harington and run him the hell out of Buffalo. The city deserves better than the shoddy excuse for journalism TBN puts forth.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Are you the guy who challenged him to a workout?
Didn't he threaten to make the guy puke? I assume the plan was to expose him to extreme amounts of game tape of nothing but Bogo, Clockwork Orange style. You're not keeping anything down after that.

Reactions: Drunkard

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
Knew it right away once Pegula was introduced that he was a failure (I posted as such on another board that most here know of)

It was his defense of Lindy Ruff when the team was collapsing in 2011 (only to be bailed out by Enroth down the stretch who was then benched for Miller who cost us that Philly series while Philly changed goalies as necessary to win) that made it clear he had no clue what he was doing

You mean the "Lindy Ruff ain't goin' nowhere" line?

Pegula is a jock strap sniffer. He admires athletes and thinks it's cool hanging around them, having their numbers on speed dial, being able to walk on an NFL football field minutes before kickoff, and all that sort of stupid crap.

Yet his actual level of nuance and understanding of either sport is remarkably sophomoric.

He's the lowest information sports fan you've ever known.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
Much to your dismay, a lot of people care. Harrington is a second-rate hack. The question you mention was actually asked to Reinhart, not Bogosian, and it was equally stupid. Players don't want to be asked questions that the reporters already know the answer to, and are just asking to get a rise out of them.

Go figure Tim Graham's also accusing the article of spreading misinformation. People need to learn their lesson with Harington and run him the hell out of Buffalo. The city deserves better than the shoddy excuse for journalism TBN puts forth.

Harrington was on a roll that night and riled up Reinhart and Bogo in 2 successive interviews dealing with the same issue.

I like Harrington. By the way, almost all questions asked to athletes are designed to elicit a reaction. Why do you think they are in there asking questions? So they can get quotes to add to their stories.

They already saw the game and know what happened.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad