Mike Harrington Bashes the Pegulas

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
I've heard nothing but criticism of this guy on HF Sabres, but he doesn't pull any punches in this piece.

A few choice quotes ...

"Terry and Kim Pegula don't know what they're doing in running a professional sports franchise"

"Botterill should fire Housley and if he doesn't want to, he can leave as well. Botterill should then be told a president of hockey operations is going to be hired"

"the Pegulas should get out of the way and spend their time figuring out the issues with their football stadium and how to fix their dumpy arena"

"the New Jersey and Ottawa games have to be the last straw for Housley. They can't possibly bring him back now."

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I'm no fan of Harrington, but the Pegula's should be more accountable for the bullshit that the Sabres have become under their watch.

So while it seems harsh and pretentious, I agree with a surprising amount of it.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
I'm no fan of Harrington, but the Pegula's should be more accountable for the bull**** that the Sabres have become under their watch.

So while it seems harsh and pretentious, I agree with a surprising amount of it.

Not to derail the thread but what more could they do? They tried the Pres of Hockey ops (admittedly, shortly), tanking (because that’s what all the smart people said), got a “scout” GM who was aggressive, brought back an old coach, brought in an experienced, cup winning, coach, then brought in a coach who was thought of as someone who could instill a system for the New NHL... then lucked into the best D prospect in a generation... and nothing.

Ultimately, as the owners, the blame must stop with them. They’ve at worst (most hands off) signed off on the hires. I legitimately feel bad for them because they are obviously not trying to f*** up the hires. The Pegulas are trying to bring in good people. Anyone who has interviewed job candidates knows it can be really difficult to decipher who’s the best candidate.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Not to derail the thread but what more could they do? They tried the Pres of Hockey ops (admittedly, shortly), tanking (because that’s what all the smart people said), got a “scout” GM who was aggressive, brought back an old coach, brought in an experienced, cup winning, coach, then brought in a coach who was thought of as someone who could instill a system for the New NHL... then lucked into the best D prospect in a generation... and nothing.

Ultimately, as the owners, the blame must stop with them. They’ve at worst (most hands off) signed off on the hires. I legitimately feel bad for them because they are obviously not trying to **** up the hires. The Pegulas are trying to bring in good people. Anyone who has interviewed job candidates knows it can be really difficult to decipher who’s the best candidate.
They have done everything possible to win. Joel Quenneville wants to coach, go get him. Make the playoffs. Simple as that.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
The Pegula's have clearly been more involved in the hirings. And this last round of interviews has scared me more than anything they have said since buying Buffalo.

But Harrington is a jerk. And he has cheerleaded everything Botts has done.

Even Hitler had some agreeable ideas, the autobahn, etc. Harrington is still the worst.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
The Pegulas have been horrid since day 1. Kim Pegula is clueless. terry as well but since he smoked a cigar in that Sopranos Buffalo video and helped deliver season tix hes cool.

Terry Pegula is just a narcissist clown. I will never forget the 1st game in Buffalo after he bought the team. During a stop in play they introduced him talking about Pegulaville while sitting in the 300s with just the smuggest look I have ever seen. Dan Snyder of the NHL.

Reactions: Royisgone

Fearnot

Nov 13, 2013
New York
I've heard nothing but criticism of this guy on HF Sabres, but he doesn't pull any punches in this piece.

A few choice quotes ...

"Terry and Kim Pegula don't know what they're doing in running a professional sports franchise"

"Botterill should fire Housley and if he doesn't want to, he can leave as well. Botterill should then be told a president of hockey operations is going to be hired"

"the Pegulas should get out of the way and spend their time figuring out the issues with their football stadium and how to fix their dumpy arena"

"the New Jersey and Ottawa games have to be the last straw for Housley. They can't possibly bring him back now."

Oh Hey! It's late to the party guy.

Deleted member 27798

I don't like this hierarchy of everyone reports to the President.

I much prefer Owner>>>President>>>VP of Hockey OP(if there is one)>>>GM>>>HC>>>Asst Coaches

...instead of this nonsense such as with Beane and McDermott where I believe they both report to her. I really believe that they like these convoluted org charts, so that when any problems arise, no one can figure out who reports to who, or who is to blame.

...and before I forget, Harrington is right on the money.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
Knew it right away once Pegula was introduced that he was a failure (I posted as such on another board that most here know of)

It was his defense of Lindy Ruff when the team was collapsing in 2011 (only to be bailed out by Enroth down the stretch who was then benched for Miller who cost us that Philly series while Philly changed goalies as necessary to win) that made it clear he had no clue what he was doing

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Knew it right away once Pegula was introduced that he was a failure (I posted as such on another board that most here know of)

It was his defense of Lindy Ruff when the team was collapsing in 2011 (only to be bailed out by Enroth down the stretch who was then benched for Miller who cost us that Philly series while Philly changed goalies as necessary to win) that made it clear he had no clue what he was doing

That’s the example you’re going to use? Seriously?

Reactions: Drunkard

Archie Lee

Apr 13, 2018
I don't know enough about what a team President does in relation to day to day hockey operations, in order to really comment. The one thing that has always seemed odd to me though is the argument that the Pegulas, or any owners who don't have a background in the sport, don't know enough about hockey in order to make a sound decision on who should be the GM. If that is the case, then what makes them capable of hiring the right person to be the "hockey" guy who is team President?

Maybe Botterill should be President and Sexton or Greeley should be the GM?

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I don't know enough about what a team President does in relation to day to day hockey operations, in order to really comment. The one thing that has always seemed odd to me though is the argument that the Pegulas, or any owners who don't have a background in the sport, don't know enough about hockey in order to make a sound decision on who should be the GM. If that is the case, then what makes them capable of hiring the right person to be the "hockey" guy who is team President?

Maybe Botterill should be President and Sexton or Greeley should be the GM?

Then put together a group of respected hockey minds to brainstorm and come up with potential candidates for the role. Form a search committee. Outsource it to a professional sports group. Just because they're at the top doesn't mean they need to make the decisions themselves, but that's what they keep doing. For reasons.

Reactions: Fearnot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->