Mike Harrington Bashes the Pegulas

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Who are we to question Kim Pegula's expertise at overseeing a professional hockey team? Her daughter plays tennis. She's been around this whole sports thing her entire parental life.

Trust. The. Process.

Maybe they should sell to an out of town person/group that knows more about professional hockey?

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
You win a Mike Harrington Junior Achiever Award.
This good enough?

achieverscert.jpg

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Not trying to get overly involved here, but this story has been going around for years. She didn't like something Lafontaine said (no idea what it was), and she canned him over something that had almost nothing to do with hockey. I mentioned it over a year ago on the boards.
She was raised by a devoutly religious family. She attended a Christian college that the Pegula's have donated millions of dollars to. She doesn't swear, ever. Off color remarks have no place in her world. Botterill/Housley and Beane/McDermott are choirboys compared to the people they replaced.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
She was raised by a devoutly religious family. She attended a Christian college that the Pegula's have donated millions of dollars to. She doesn't swear, ever. Off color remarks have no place in her world. Botterill/Housley and Beane/McDermott are choirboys compared to the people they replaced.

Hiring Rex Ryan is a big counter point to that thesis, but you might be on to something.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
They spent literally billions of dollars of their own money and continue to improve the facilities for their players to help them stay healthy and get better at their sport.

They have saved sports in the city of Buffalo and continued to try to make the teams competitive. They are not gods for saving the teams but they easily could have said f*** it, not worth the time and money.

They continue to immerse themselves in the sports and yet, on a message board, people are Monday morning quarterbacking every decision they made.

So they need to do something with the Sabres staff, yes. Will I lump all the blame if they don't? No.

f*** ..

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
I believe so. I saw it mentioned somewhere but now I can’t find it.

So much this ^^^ It's such a silly position that this board seems to have adopted. Most of the owners/ownership groups know dick about the sport of hockey, and few employ a team president role separate from the GM. Of the ones that do, most are simply figure heads with little or no power. But let's go back to the days of Larry Quinn, surely he had a vision that kept the franchise moving in one direction :confused:

So much for my dream of Boudreau, there's no way he makes it past the phone interview...

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
She was raised by a devoutly religious family. She attended a Christian college that the Pegula's have donated millions of dollars to. She doesn't swear, ever.Off color remarks have no place in her world. Botterill/Housley and Beane/McDermott are choirboys compared to the people they replaced.
Well there's your problem right there. Never trust a leader who doesn't use profanity.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
You mean the "Lindy Ruff ain't goin' nowhere" line?

Pegula is a jock strap sniffer. He admires athletes and thinks it's cool hanging around them, having their numbers on speed dial, being able to walk on an NFL football field minutes before kickoff, and all that sort of stupid crap.

Yet his actual level of nuance and understanding of either sport is remarkably sophomoric.

He's the lowest information sports fan you've ever known.

yep. That very Lindy Ruff line, when Lindy was making Housley-like lineup decisions, forcing square pegs into round holes

N.Y. Orangeman

Mar 15, 2002
myspace.com
Mike's columns make all of our posts look like works from greats of SI in the 1980's and 1990's. Amazingly, after over a thousand of columns, he hasn't found a writing style as much as he has developed a distinctive howl. I mean, my God, these Sabres columns write themselves from his perspective and yet he still can't put together a cohesive opinion.

I'd buy another 10 The Athletic subscriptions if Graham would take Mike under his wing and teach him 10th grade English. Then again, Tim's tweets on his articles are more entertaining than teaching the chimp to put verbs in sentences. Please pour Barney another on me, Mo...let's see if we can make him eat a spider.
hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: ckg927 and Fearnot

Buff15Sabres

Mar 23, 2017
Not trying to get overly involved here, but this story has been going around for years. She didn't like something Lafontaine said (no idea what it was), and she canned him over something that had almost nothing to do with hockey. I mentioned it over a year ago on the boards.

Fascinating.

I always thought that Lafontaine and Murray got into a power struggle after Murray was hired, and that Murray won. I viewed it as a fresh GM (Murray) was uncomfortable having a "hockey czar" around when that position is pretty rare for NHL franchises, and that he won the power struggle.

Your completely unsubstantiated comments about Kim Pegula have really changed my mind.

:sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Fascinating.

I always thought that Lafontaine and Murray got into a power struggle after Murray was hired, and that Murray won. I viewed it as a fresh GM (Murray) was uncomfortable having a "hockey czar" around when that position is pretty rare for NHL franchises, and that he won the power struggle.

Your completely unsubstantiated comments about Kim Pegula have really changed my mind.

:sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:
It's been reported. Just not in specific terms, because Lafontaine is unlikely to go on record to a journalist due to his NDA.

Chat recap: John Vogl answers your Sabres questions

Hey there, Chris. Getting a touchy one out of the way, eh?! There was what can best be described as a misunderstanding featuring Pat and Kim Pegula, and he was forced to resign. He has a confidentiality agreement so you won't hear anything from him, and the Pegulas aren't about talking about the past with this one.
I hope one day they can patch things up because it's a bit awkward to have one of the few players with his jersey retired not be close to the organization.

Reactions: sabremike

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Hiring Rex Ryan is a big counter point to that thesis, but you might be on to something.
Firing Rex supports my thesis. Whaley was no saint either. Kim took over and cleaned house. She left a pile of bodies behind her. She cut Terry off at the knees, maybe a little higher. :laugh:

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
Firing Rex supports my thesis. Whaley was no saint either. Kim took over and cleaned house. She left a pile of bodies behind her. She cut Terry off at the knees, maybe a little higher. :laugh:
If all this is true and I don't doubt that it is, how embarrassing for everyone involved. Especially Terry

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad