Mike Babcock

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Even with the travel disadvantage western teams face the Central was the toughest division in the NHL based on both win % and goal differential. The Avs have holes in their roster but with easy travel and lots of bottom feeders to feast on they’d have cruised to an easy playoff spot if they were in the east.

Ton of bottom feeders? Besides the Sens who dismantled at the deadline who exactly was bottom feeding all year. 3 of the 8 West teams don’t make the playoffs in the East and it isn’t close.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Ton of bottom feeders? Besides the Sens who dismantled at the deadline who exactly was bottom feeding all year. 3 of the 8 West teams don’t make the playoffs in the East and it isn’t close.
So what you are saying is that in spite of playing in the most competitive division in hockey and still getting into the playoffs teams like the Avs, Stars or Blues are going to struggle because they suddenly get moved to a less competitive division with easier travel?

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
The board won't care, again, money is not an issue. Shanny won't be fired, and if he has his reasons for firing Babs, it will happen.

This is not some small market where they care about money (outside of cap) I know you understand this lol

It’s the boards job to care about money, They have serious investors and they care about returns, far more than most teams.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
most overrated coach in the nhl. keep playing hyman more on 5 on 5 than the likes of matthews, buddy boy.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
It’s the boards job to care about money, They have serious investors and they care about returns, far more than most teams.

They also care about playoff revenue and merch sales, and the further we go, the more money they make.

What Babcock makes is peanuts compared to what they would make on the way to cup finals.

So firing him would not be an issue, especially when the big contracts kick in.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The board won't care, again, money is not an issue. Shanny won't be fired, and if he has his reasons for firing Babs, it will happen.

This is not some small market where they care about money (outside of cap) I know you understand this lol

If Babcock is fired. He still has 6.25 x 4 years left on the contract Shanahan gave him. You don't think the board will care about wasting $25M to not atleast have Shanahan explain himself? We are talking about 25 million dollars here.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
If Babcock is fired. He still has 6.25 x 4 years left on the contract Shanahan gave him. You don't think the board will care about wasting $25M to not atleast have Shanahan explain himself? We are talking about 25 million dollars here.

I honestly don't think they will not give a single shit about the 25 million. I am not saying they love it, but that is peanut money for this franchise.

Not that I think it's smart to throw away 25 million lol

What they want is the revenue and mech sales for cup final runs, that would dwarf what is owed to Babs.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I honestly don't think they will not give a single **** about the 25 million. I am not saying they love it, but that is peanut money for this franchise.

Not that I think it's smart to throw away 25 million lol

What they want is the revenue and mech sales for cup final runs, that would dwarf what is owed to Babs.
I think the point missing here is Shanahan is going to have to do some explaining here. Throwing away 25M and deciding to fire Babcock when he was the one that made a case to the Board to hire him for 8 years at 6.25M per with 4 years left will require a masterpiece misdirection presentation of how he messed this up.

I do know one thing. Had Lou been extended, another Shanahan decision. I doubt there would be a disconnect of GM and Coach as there is now. The board will probably re- visit this too. So I would not want to be too sure, to pass this off as the Board will just sign a blank cheque and not weigh the circumstances that brought them to this point.

Mar 26, 2010
Toronto needs to evaluate him imo. Cassidy out-coached the guy.
Swan song?
Fully agree.

Babcock is the most overrated coach in the history of the game. He is an old dinosaur that has not been relevant since 2007.

The players hate him and he gets out of coached game after game. He should be fired 100%, but sadly he will not be. Complete loser.

Reactions: stopclickbait

Shnooks

Apr 18, 2017
Babcock has now lost his last 6 playoff series and last 8 of 9
He's lost the last five playoff series where his team led the series too.

I think he's extremely overrated. All the talent he's coached in his career (especially in DET) and he only has one Stanley Cup? That's crazy.

GoBuds14

Dec 15, 2015
You’re speculating though. Tavares himself said he was very unsure going into that meeting but Dubas presentation tipped the scales. But who knows what truly was going on in Tavares head, maybe he knew all along
I think it would be a stretch to suggest that his pitch to Tavares was in any way a hard sell. :laugh:

Tavares was leaning towards the Leafs all along; any one of us could have sat in on that meeting and told JT what he needed to hear in order to get him to sign.

Reactions: stopclickbait

dKs89

Oct 22, 2016
Let me guess the issues here.

He doesn't make adjustments. He doesn't adapt. He plays favorites with certain players. He makes questionable lineup decisions. He's stubborn and some may even say arrogant.

This is a list of fans complaints for coaches and somehow it's always unique to that one coach even though it literally describes every single coach in history.

Mar 26, 2010
He's lost the last five playoff series where his team led the series too.

I think he's extremely overrated. All the talent he's coached in his career (especially in DET) and he only has one Stanley Cup? That's crazy.
Yup, That about sums it up.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
leafs would greatly benefit from firing babcock

and some poor team will gladly overpay for him because he won a cup in 2008 with a stacked red wings team

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
It's a little funny because when he signed with Toronto he was universally considered the best coach in the entire NHL. He was Team Canada Head Coach in 2010 and 2014 over Sutter, Quenville. It's a little funny how the sentiment has changed.

Also Trotz was a choker who couldn't pass round 2 in 18 seasons and now he's 2nd best coach currently in NHL according to recent HF poll
Except by tons of fans of the team he coached at the time. Weird that.

Not that he's a bad coach or anything. He just refuses to change and adapt. Stuck in his ways. Works when the team is amazing, doesn't when it's not. Leafs don't have a prime Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Lidstrom to carry them. Maybe Matthews, Marner and Rielly can get close enough, but they're nowhere near yet.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
They also care about playoff revenue and merch sales, and the further we go, the more money they make.

What Babcock makes is peanuts compared to what they would make on the way to cup finals.

So firing him would not be an issue, especially when the big contracts kick in.

Does someone else 100% make them a cup finals team? They don’t just knee jerk react and make it to finals because people are looking for someone to blame.
The 11 million dollar super star was a no show, the guy that carried them all year and was the teams top scorer was a no show, the goalie fell apart and blew chunks in game 7 and the GM never addressed the hole they had in the D.
Silly Willy also had a bad year, there is plenty of things that held the team back and all must be weighed before anyone flushes any type of money down the toilet.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
If you think Toronto would be on the hook for four years you're kidding yourself. Reputation is everything. Only reason Quenneville stayed on the shelf is he took a vacation and waited for the right job in his eyes. Babcock would likely do the same. Take a year off, make the Leafs pay for it, then sign a new deal with a new team to get Toronto off the hook.

The issue with firing him is he was a part of the golden list Toronto had to win a Cup. They got the coach, the 1st overall pick, and the superstar local boy. They won't give up on him yet. Next season though? No quarter.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If Toronto does not want him. Someone will. Maybe even the Jets or Buffalo? And he will improve those 2 teams immediately. He's a very good coach, top 5% in the NHL IMO. But if Toronto needs a scapegoat, they may want to find someone better, easier than it sounds, before they make any rash decisions here.
It's amazing how your opinion changes about Toronto if it looks like some Leafs fans want Babcock fired. In the past you have bashed him for not making out of the 1st round since 2013 and have said how much better a coach Barry Trotz is. The way you are talking about how great Babcock is sounds like how you talked up Mark Hunter after he decided to quit his job with the Maple Leafs and I wonder what the reason for that is?

Let's not forget this poll you created last June asking who is better between Babcock and Trotz, which also included Dubas and Lamoriello.

Lamoriello/Trotz vs Dubas/Babcock

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
These post mortums are always interesting. If Andersen could stop a beach ball or the Knights PK had any kind of pulse a different tune would sung.

Reactions: hoglund

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
No you’re not. Duty to mitigate damages. Babcock gets hired by another team, which offsets the contract damages.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad