Mike Babcock

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Tell you this, if Babs is staying, both Dubas and Shanny need to sit down with him and tell him what they expect.

No BS, play your stars, replace your assistants, and adapt your system, or GTFO.

If that doesn't work, bring in the board, and they will simply say "listen to what you are told, or you are fired effective immediately" what the hell is Babcock going to tell them lol

I keep seeing the "adjust his system" comment. But I'm curious, what exactly do people mean by that? What does Babcock currently have them doing that he shouldn't? What changes to his "system" do fans think should be made?

Apologies if it's already been detailed earlier, but I just see a bunch of random "adjust" and "adjust his system" without explanations about WHAT he needs to change or HOW he needs to adjust.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I think that Babcock has the "I'm the smartest guy in the room" complex. Like most people who have it, they usually aren't anywhere as near as bright as they think they are.

In the past 6 years, Rod Brind'Amour has one more playoff series victory. 'nuff said.

Reactions: Mbraunm

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
I keep seeing the "adjust his system" comment. But I'm curious, what exactly do people mean by that? What does Babcock currently have them doing that he shouldn't? What changes to his "system" do fans think should be made?

Apologies if it's already been detailed earlier, but I just see a bunch of random "adjust" and "adjust his system" without explanations about WHAT he needs to change or HOW he needs to adjust.

Well for one, Babcock believes the only way to break out is to have your wingers fly the zone looking for the stretch pass.

In today's game, with possession so paramount to success, I'd prefer much tighter formation. Clean, crisp, short, controlled exits.

That being said, what do I know. I simply post on HF for fun, while Bubs is making 6.25 million a year.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Well for one, Babcock believes the only way to break out is to have your wingers fly the zone looking for the stretch pass.

In today's game, with possession so paramount to success, I'd prefer much tighter formation. Clean, crisp, short, controlled exits.

That being said, what do I know. I simply post on HF for fun, while Bubs is making 6.25 million a year.

It seemed to me that in the games the Leafs were winning/playing well, they were doing exactly that. Forwards deeper in the D-zone, supporting the D and giving them short passes. The games when they lost/didn't look good, they were flying the zone.

Which kind of begs the question: Is it on Babcock or on the players for not consistently doing what works? The coach can only do so much if the players are treating the defensive zone as optional.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
It seemed to me that in the games the Leafs were winning/playing well, they were doing exactly that. Forwards deeper in the D-zone, supporting the D and giving them short passes. The games when they lost/didn't look good, they were flying the zone.

Which kind of begs the question: Is it on Babcock or on the players for not consistently doing what works? The coach can only do so much if the players are treating the defensive zone as optional.
It doesn't really matter, in my opinion. Either Babcock doesn't know what to do, or he can't convince his players to do it. Whichever it is, he should be replaced. If problems persist, then you can look at changing things on the team

4chandler

Apr 11, 2019
He reminds me of Keenan, Keenan was a God tier coach after he won with the Rangers in 94 and then he gets over hyped and people get cultish about praising him. Same thing with Hitchcock after winning in Dallas. They aren't hungry after being minted so the no longer develop as coaches they rest on their laurels having 'solved' hockey.

Babs just knows everything, we are mere mortals. No accountability, no one can question him, he can't even recognize the reality of losing.

Leafs regressed this year after replacing JVR with Tavares.

He's just not a 2019 coach. He's a bit of a diva too, happy to see the Leafs move on.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I think I first mentioned this in the Game 2 thread, but not playing his top powerplay unit for the entire 2 minutes is asinine

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It doesn't really matter, in my opinion. Either Babcock doesn't know what to do, or he can't convince his players to do it. Whichever it is, he should be replaced. If problems persist, then you can look at changing things on the team

I don't necessarily disagree. We're seeing the same debate on the Pittsburgh forum about whether it's Sullivan's lack of adjustments/system or it's the players not buying in and executing.

So I'm not saying it's 100% the players or that Babcock doesn't share the blame. What I'm saying is I'm not sure it's Babcock's actual "system" or his lack of ability to make adjustments that's the issue, but rather perhaps for whatever reason -- whether it be him or the players not buying in -- the players aren't executing it.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
"Babcock and Dubass are the best coach and GM in the NHL"

giphy.gif

Source of the quote?

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I'm very empathetic towards Leafs fans complaining about Babcock...it's similar to complaints that Hawks fans expressed about Quenneville...except Quenneville won more and Leafs management is unlikely to be as cowardly as Hawks management was when things clearly went off the rails.

Bookie21

Dec 26, 2017
As a Penguins fan, I hope Babcock stays in Toronto long. He couldn't coach his way out of a wet paper bag. He gets in these moods where he wants to prove a point or something weird.....like playing Mathews on the 2nd pp unit, or playing him 18 minutes in game 7 of a playoff series. What a bozo

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

illpucks

May 26, 2011
I think that Babcock has the "I'm the smartest guy in the room" complex. Like most people who have it, they usually aren't anywhere as near as bright as they think they are.

In the past 6 years, Rod Brind'Amour has one more playoff series victory. 'nuff said.
Brind'Amour is basically the 19th skater on the Canes and could play in the bottom 6 if necessary.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011

When Leafs are playing down in the 3rd, I find it more common for the forwards to be blowing the zone which suggests to me that it is an in-game coaching adjustment to increase the danger of *all shots* on the ice, but as we know it does increase on both sides.

When trailing with not much time left you want high danger run and gun hockey like that. When you have the lead you want dull dull hockey. Similar to defence pinching.

I do think some of the blame lays on the forwards though. I doubt the coaches are saying “leave no options for the defence”, there’s probably some grey area in there the young forwards will get more acclimated to over time.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Tell you this, if Babs is staying, both Dubas and Shanny need to sit down with him and tell him what they expect.

No BS, play your stars, replace your assistants, and adapt your system, or GTFO.

If that doesn't work, bring in the board, and they will simply say "listen to what you are told, or you are fired effective immediately" what the hell is Babcock going to tell them lol

Dude.. if you’ve made it to this point then it’s already over.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Down by two goals in the 3rd in game 7, plays the most prolific scorer on his roster in said playoffs 5 mins in that 3rd period. :facepalm:

Since were narrowing in on coaches choice, I wonder:

How many shift starts in the OZ were there in the 3rd where Babcock has the option to put him on.

If leafs were hemmed into the DZ for a substantial portion, and if coach had less ability to deploy (I.e., icings), it might explain why he may have had ~20% less ice time than desired. Tavares and Marner out are no slumps either, though.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
To sum up the Leafs post season

2zlfl2.jpg

To be fair this is only true for the instant gratification component of Leaf fans.

Over the years I have learned the value of short term pain for long term gain. That is something the IG crowd doesn't have and probably never will.

I have no doubt the team will stick to the long term Shanaplan and the whining Whipping Boy Brigade fan portion can cry all they want to, they are being ignored by the folks who matter.

Reactions: Pyrophorus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad