Mike Babcock

AejonStarkgaryen

Apr 25, 2019
Mike wants players to fit exactly the system he wants, but he is paid a lot of money to also adapt, be creative, think outside the box, have competent assistants.

He rules with an iron fist in my opinion, I don't feel he is the right coach for this group of players, that's all.
I get it and I'm frustrated he wouldn't play our best players more when were down. But I find it hard to believe with the way some of our guys developed under him that he isn't the right guy.
I know people like to give flack about some of his choices. For example the way he handles Marner versus some of the other players over past 3 seasons. But if you look at this past season Marner took it up a gear, he also is killing penalties now and did a great job with JT shutting down the B's top line. I knew Marner had elite offensive skill, but I never would have thought he was going to be the complete total player he is turning into.

Same with Rielly. When Babs took over and our tank year he worked with him in the D zone to make him a much more complete player and this season he took steps ahead.
I also think outside of this year in particular, Kadri has turned into a much better player under Babcock.

This is a young team still. If we just trust the process and continue with the development curve for our young core we will become winners. I truly believe that.

Reactions: Pyrophorus

AejonStarkgaryen

Apr 25, 2019
I think he's safe for another year because of the term left on his deal.

I think the assistant coaches are gone though

I agree. I'm wondering. Who would you like to see as an assistant here? I've wondered if someone like Lindy Ruff would consider an assistant job. Watching Dallas a few years back I liked that wide open, run and gun style. Could be a good second voice to have.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I agree. I'm wondering. Who would you like to see as an assistant here? I've wondered if someone like Lindy Ruff would consider an assistant job. Watching Dallas a few years back I liked that wide open, run and gun style. Could be a good second voice to have.

I would offer Guy Boucher an assistant coaching job, and then I would wait to see what Ottawa does with Crawford

Reactions: AejonStarkgaryen

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I think he’s been overrated for a long ass time because of the rep he’s built coaching stacked national and Detroit teams.

I think he has one more year and if the Leafs can’t escape the first round again he’s gone.

AejonStarkgaryen

Apr 25, 2019
I would offer Guy Boucher an assistant coaching job, and then I would wait to see what Ottawa does with Crawford

Crawford would be great. He's coached Matthews in the past over in Europe and already understands the player. I'd love to get him actually just based on his past with the old AVS teams and dealing with star egos.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
You can pick apart any coach. Coaches that are praised today (Trotz, Tortorella, Gibson) were seen as incompetents by some fans in the not too distant past. Look at Tortorella's history, for instance. Certainly Babcock, his approach, and performance, should be evaluated. He may or may not be what the Leafs need going forward--but right now people are overreacting concerning him without enough information to know what they are talking about.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
To sum up the Leafs post season

2zlfl2.jpg

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
You can pick apart any coach. Coaches that are praised today (Trotz, Tortorella, Gibson) were seen as incompetents by some fans in the not too distant past. Look at Tortorella's history, for instance. Certainly Babcock, his approach, and performance, should be evaluated. He may or may not be what the Leafs need going forward--but right now people are overreacting concerning him without enough information to know what they are talking about.

Some coaches change when fired, some dont. Those coaches above looked to have altered their approach, Babcock hasnt. Big difference

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
To sum up the Leafs post season

2zlfl2.jpg
Perfect.

Leafs fans rose coloured glasses appear to have fallen off...lest we forget at the beginning of the season the future SC champs were deep down the middle with the mighty Babcock behind the wheel. Plan the parade.

The entertainment value of watching hearts being broken in Toronto AGAIN never gets old.

Reactions: Oneiro

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Leafs fans get the pitchforks out more than any fanbase I've ever seen. I mean, every fanbase does it to some degree, but Leafs fans seem to direct their disdain on such a specific and focused level.

Reactions: AejonStarkgaryen

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
At the moment, I'll bet Babcock wishes that he never signed with Toronto.

Coach

Dec 18, 2010
Might as well keep Babcock for the remainder of his contract. Get a new coach when the Leaf's start to get out of salary cap hell and then start to prepare for their next potential cup window.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Perfect.

Leafs fans rose coloured glasses appear to have fallen off...lest we forget at the beginning of the season the future SC champs were deep down the middle with the mighty Babcock behind the wheel. Plan the parade.

The entertainment value of watching hearts being broken in Toronto AGAIN never gets old.

Who was planning the parade lmao. No wonder the Leafs are so hated you guys just fantasize scenario's to justify hate.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
Who was planning the parade lmao. No wonder the Leafs are so hated you guys just fantasize scenario's to justify hate.
I have had the misfortune of living in that god awful city twice I can assure you the parade is planned yearly in November.

The Leafs are hated in Canada because of the over hyped fan base and endless media coverage through blue and white goggles not because of the team itself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad