Confirmed with Link: Mike Babcock resigns as head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Babcock did a lot of stuff in the past. And was ”banned” from the league because of that.

The first thing Jarmo and Babcock tried to prove after this signing was that he’s a changed man. Apparently he wasn’t. Therefore it was a bad judgment by Jarmo (or JD if it was his hire).
Did the NHLPA oppose his appointment? No. Why didn't he actually coach? Look at the paycheck he was getting from Toronto.

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
You know, I was actually looking forward to this season. I haven't really watched much hockey since getting rid of TV, but I was planning on streaming for this season.

But I feel for you old timers, you went through last season now you got this bleeping distraction for the season.

Edit: And what I mean is that there has got be some awkwardness in the locker room now. Clearly someone(s) was disturbed by Babcock's behavior. Other players seemed like they were okay with it? (Seriously what happened)

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
Did the NHLPA oppose his appointment? No. Why didn't he actually coach? Look at the paycheck he was getting from Toronto.
Your argument of "he could do this in the past, why can't he now?" doesn't work. As it was things like these why he got out of the league in the past.

You know, I was actually looking forward to this season. I haven't really watched much hockey since getting rid of TV, but I was planning on streaming for this season.

But I feel for you old timers, you went through last season now you got this bleeping distraction for the season.
There's lot to be excited for. Vincent seems like a guy many teams had on their radar as potential future head coach. The organization has great potential on paper, probably the best prospect pool in the league. Lots on new additions, exciting players.

What is worrying is the team cohesion after all this, though.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
Well, this sure puts a dent in the season before it even begins. Maybe it was best for Babcock to cut his losses while he was ahead. But with all the bold moves the org made in the off-season, this is not a good start.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
On one hand, bad move by Jarmo hiring Babcock since his approach wasn't going to work with younger players.

On the other hand, it's not like they missed out on some amazing other guy. This offseason was filled with horrible head coaches. Every one that Portzline profiled my initial reaction was "I hope it's not that guy..."

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

I was going to post this! LOL

I didn't have an issue with Babcock's hiring. I knew he was a weird guy just from a few interactions that I had with him in Cincinnati. The Marner thing was overblown, imo. Evidently he rode Franzen too hard in Detroit, but that sometimes happens in coaching. I thought that he was worth the risk/reward on the hire.

But I'm not privvy to conversations that were had with Babcock. JD, Jarmo, and-I'll assume-McConnell were. That they would completely screw up (nice wording) a hire of this importance leaves me to draw only one conclusion-that they all must go.

Truly one of the worst organizations in pro sports over the past 2 decades. One playoff series victory and then this nonsense. The fans of Columbus deserve better.

niflheim

Hockey is cheating
Nov 22, 2014
One more time. Babcock did it in Detroit and Toronto too. A lot of dirt was poured on him, but NOBODY, I repeat, NOBODY complained about this!!!

So I'm wondering, on what basis is Jarmo supposed to leave? Does he have the crystal ball to know that today's players are like that? I understand that anyeone doesn't like to show their pics. But Babs wanted to get to know them more, he showed his too. His only mistake was that he did it rather clumsily. But he can't be blamed for the bad intent.

This is just an example of how our moss-covered “house of cards” doesn’t understand the values of the New Silent Generation

Resp. problems will grow like a snowball

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Still remember hiring Babcock was Nash's recommendation.

That player, whoever it is needs to grow up a bit and learn to handle things in a professional manner and not let things go through a douchy podcast. This should be a life lesson for them. Watch who you talk to and share information with.
In their defense, he/they probably appropriately reported it to the union and the NHLPA leaked it to the media. Some digging needs to be done there.

Last edited:
Reactions: MissADD

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
On one hand, bad move by Jarmo hiring Babcock since his approach wasn't going to work with younger players.

On the other hand, it's not like they missed out on some amazing other guy. This offseason was filled with horrible head coaches. Every one that Portzline profiled my initial reaction was "I hope it's not that guy..."
Yep. I wanted Vincent (his only baggage was the stink of working under Larsen) or Roy (while a lunatic, he’s been extremely successful in the Q with young players) in the first place. Very relieved it wasn’t Laviolette, Boudreau, etc. I was horrified at this choice and nearly got myself banned from the Jackets subreddit when he was hired. I started following the Ducks, though I’ve backslid during the summer lull.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Imagine being that one young player (let’s say Fantilli) who leaked all this to the SC. Imagine how his future is going to look in this organization. It won’t be easy. Even though it wasn’t his fault.
Word from several folks is that MULTIPLE players were not happy with how things went down. That tells me it was more than a simple misunderstanding. IOW, when the reality of what actually happened comes out, it's going to be worse than what we know right now.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
What is so damned frustrating is that there were such great vibes going into this season. Lots of young talent and they are plopped in the middle of a circus act.

There still is. Babs is gone, now they can focus on camp

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Boy, I love it when my trust is f***ed over.

I might seriously be done.
I’m just so tired. My instinct was not to trust the SC guys because they’re unbearable misogynistic douchebags. My instinct was to trust Jenner and Gaudreau. But I also hated the hire in the first place, and I think JD and Jarmo should get the axe for opening the org up to this kind of circus. It was always going to be something. And at the end of the day, this something feels underwhelming? It’s weird and made young players uncomfortable, was a mind game like always with him, and yet I also kinda feel like it seems like such an insignificant thing to trigger all this fuss. He was always going to screw up and poison the org, but this doesn’t even feel like poison.

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
Word from several folks is that MULTIPLE players were not happy with how things went down. That tells me it was more than a simple misunderstanding. IOW, when the reality of what actually happened comes out, it's going to be worse than what we know right now.
I think it would actually be better for the team going forward if many young players didn't like Babcock - rather than just a couple. Maybe this opens up the communication between the veterans (Jenner, Gaudreau, Werenski) and the younger guys. And of course: those three backing up Babcock officially (in statements, interviews) doesn't mean they necessarily liked him.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I’m just so tired. My instinct was not to trust the SC guys because they’re unbearable misogynistic douchebags. My instinct was to trust Jenner and Gaudreau. But I also hated the hire in the first place, and I think JD and Jarmo should get the axe for opening the org up to this kind of circus. It was always going to be something. And at the end of the day, this something feels underwhelming? It’s weird and made young players uncomfortable, was a mind game like always with him, and yet I also kinda feel like it seems like such an insignificant thing to trigger all this fuss. He was always going to screw up and poison the org, but this doesn’t even feel like poison.
I'm more worried about the possible vets versus kids divide that's being speculated on.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
On the other hand, maybe it's good it happened now, over something relatively minor compared to something much worse? Awkward and uncomfortable are not lifelong traumas (think Franzen, I guess). At least now it won't happen mid-season and blow up absolutely everything. Vincent will have time to put his systems in place and we can try to salvage this season.

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
The latest 32T pod said that players had different "experiences" with it. Jenner, Gaudreau, and Werenski may have had non intrusive "show me some family photos" interactions and one or more young guys had Babcock go through their phones, which was perhaps not malicious but would have been very uncomfortable for me at least (at age 22).

Vets read that Babcock looked through a guys phone for minutes and they'll understand the situation
I agree, they'll get it once they have a full scope of the situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad