TSN: Mike Babcock free to talk to other teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Unlikely to happen but if MB wanted this, all he would have to do is move Therrien upstairs and give him another job in the organization. With that said I believe that we have a zero percent chance of getting Babcock. I say that he stays in Detroit.

Yeah, it's just not happening.

Ideally, I'd have Babcock as head coach and Therrien as assistant.

Or hire Babcock as assistant GM and special counselor. Then fire Therrien somewhere next year and voilà.

It is possible, just very, very unlikely to happen. I wouldn't lose much sleep over it.

24Cups

Aug 2, 2005
You forgot one thing. Babcock wants $5 million per year. Which one of those teams would be more likely to give him that? I would put Toronto on top of that list.

$40 million for 6 years are the numbers being thrown around. If I'm MB, I discretely kick the tires to see if there's any interest. No, and there's nothing to see here. Yes, and the internal debate begins.

hercules130

Mar 24, 2015
For those speculating that Babcock may entertain Montreal's possibility, what about the elephant in the room, namely that Babcock ne parle pas français? Remember the Randy Cunneyworth debacle where a number of separatist groups claimed that it was better to have francophone junior-league coach than him? That it was better if the team losing but proudly in French than winning but colonized in English?

Of course Cunneyworth is a lousy coach not on the same level as Therrien or Babcock. But still, the potential of controversy is still there considering Montreal and Quebec political landscape.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
For those speculating that Babcock may entertain Montreal's possibility, what about the elephant in the room, namely that Babcock ne parle pas français? Remember the Randy Cunneyworth debacle where a number of separatist groups claimed that it was better to have francophone junior-league coach than him? That it was better if the team losing but proudly in French than winning but colonized in English?

Of course Cunneyworth is a lousy coach not on the same level as Therrien or Babcock. But still, the potential of controversy is still there considering Montreal and Quebec political landscape.

Pointless.

First, the guy lived in Montreal, he knows the city, he'd be welcomed here. He'll just throw a little bit of French here and there and everyone will be happy.

Second, the fuss about Cunneyworth was not just the language... he was a terrible coach, period. If we hire the best in the business, the ****tards journalists will shut their mouths.

Gamimenos

Apr 28, 2009
Pointless.

First, the guy lived in Montreal, he knows the city, he'd be welcomed here. He'll just throw a little bit of French here and there and everyone will be happy.

Second, the fuss about Cunneyworth was not just the language... he was a terrible coach, period. If we hire the best in the business, the ****tards journalists will shut their mouths.

Don't bet to much on that. Controversy sells.

psychonaut

Sep 4, 2003
Man I would love him to come over here just to have the whole language thing over.
Pretty sure they said the captain had to be French before Koivu.

hercules130

Mar 24, 2015
Pointless.

It is not the journalists that is the problem. It is the blowhards like Mario Beaulieu or Mathieu Bock-Côté or Pierre Curzi who have zero hockey knowledge but always seek for the slightest thing English to blow up and claim that French is oppressed and that independence is the silver bullet to all the maladies the province has.

Saint Patrick

2 rings in my hears
Feb 14, 2007
It is not the journalists that is the problem. It is the blowhards like Mario Beaulieu or Mathieu Bock-Côté or Pierre Curzi who have zero hockey knowledge but always seek for the slightest thing English to blow up and claim that French is oppressed and that independence is the silver bullet to all the maladies the province has.

Unfortunately with the season the team has had, I really don't see how MB can fire Therrien, had the Habs been swept, this would have been a different conversation. Lets go with that scenario for a second though, Habs get swept, somehow MB fires Therrien. Assuming Babcock is still available, how do you think everyone around here will react if we decide not to hire this guy because he doesn't speak French, it would just be a disaster and MB would look like an idiot. One of the most decorated coaches in the league and we say no because of this? But this is a conversation we'll likely never have because Therrien isnt going anywhere unfortunately, even if the season ends tonight.

CH25

Self-proclaimed Habs connoisseur
Apr 12, 2010
Montreal
The elephant in the room is Therrien, nothing else. Why is this even a thread on our board ? Therrien is here to stay. I've learned to deal with it for now.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal

Bigot journalists are definitely part of the problem. Nobody will care if Côte-Bockée or Mario Beaulieu complains. They don't have much viewership.

But if we hire the best coach, who's already got ties with the city... I can't see journalists complaining that much.

Alex514

May 10, 2015
I think Babcock would be welcomed in Montreal with open arms. As some posters mentioned above, if he threw a few French words here and there we'd all be OK with it. He lived here, studied here and his favourite smoke meat joint is here ;) Let's face it, French is important to the CH organization for the obvious reasons but what is most important is Winning and everyone involved fans included understand this.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

First, those groups were widely the minority and were only not drowned out because of the team's horrendous play and the idiotic comments from management. Babcock carries a fantastic resume, knows the city and is arguably the best coach in the league. The differences between him and Cunneyworth are profound. The fact he'd be signed long term would further quiet descent because it wouldn't get them anywhere.

Bps21*

They do have a ton of money but I'm not so sure that's all he cares about. The guy wants to win, and the Leafs let's be honest are a good 3-4 years from being competitive (if rebuild goes well ). They are no where close to being solid, he would be wasting his time there. In that case he is better off staying in Detroit.

Buffalo is in a better situation, they have the young pieces in place, only question is does he want to coach there and will they pay him?

I personally think he should stay in Detroit until Dats/Zetterberg retire!

Buffalos owner paid 1.4 billion cash for the Bills knowing it was a lot more than other offers just because he wanted to end the process quickly. He would give Babcock a blank check. That's the least of the problem. It's a matter of whether Babcock would sign up for those first couple years of losing as the young players mature. He's the perfect fit for the Sabres...in 2017-18.

gis16*

Why is so important speaking local language for FC Barcelona (Spanish), FC Milan Paris St-Germain (french) and this not important in Quebec?!?! Babcock, he was in Montreal so many years and he don't give a s... about French... Ans M. Molson is a francophile,he respect so much the frenc population. He said, he don't understand why english people living in MTL doesn't speak french... So forget it!

Baruch

I like DD (Cups)
Apr 26, 2014
Montréal
Why is so important speaking local language for FC Barcelona (Spanish), FC Milan Paris St-Germain (french) and this not important in Quebec?!?! Babcock, he was in Montreal so many years and he don't give a s... about French... Ans M. Molson is a francophile,he respect so much the frenc population. He said, he don't understand why english people living in MTL doesn't speak french... So forget it!

Soccer and Hockey isn't the same mentality. It's also not the same continent (hence culture).

The Habs should not give themselves that handicap.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
If one of the best coach in the world is up for grab, as a GM you have to try to sign him, no matter what.

Don't care about money.
Don't care about current coach just got an extension.
Don't care he doesn't speak french.

If you have the chance to make your team better and Babcock will, you have to AT LEAST try to do it. It's a step in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad