TSN: Mike Babcock free to talk to other teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

The n00b King

Kingin' since 2003
Feb 10, 2008
Singapore
Oh yhea.. You are making your case so damn well...

Cause nepotism is clearly the way of running an organisation

Oh I wasn't making a case for it. Just saying that it DOES happen in the real business world. And it happens all the freaking time. Just look at a company like Wal-Mart. I'm sure it's working terribly for them too...

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009
We finish 2nd in the league (without having the 2nd best roster) and were in round 2 of the playoffs. And you want to fire the coach after that?

Al Mcneil was fired from the Habs after winning a Stanley Cup, is that enough of a winner?
Or Chicago hires Quenneville as Savard's replacement with Savard still there?

Either way we are getting side-tracked. I'm surprised that nobody thinks that Babcock will end up with the Penguins.
When the management team in place was hired, Pen's ownership stated clearly that it was a short-term hire. Well, short term is here, Babcock is soon to be a free agent and the Pens have all the pieces in place for Babcock to step in and win a cup.
Why in the good lord's name would he go to Toronto when he could have Sid and Geno instead

Babcock to Pens - you heard it here almost first

HabsDieHard*

Al Mcneil was fired from the Habs after winning a Stanley Cup, is that enough of a winner?
Or Chicago hires Quenneville as Savard's replacement with Savard still there?

Either way we are getting side-tracked. I'm surprised that nobody thinks that Babcock will end up with the Penguins.
When the management team in place was hired, Pen's ownership stated clearly that it was a short-term hire.
Well, short term is here, Babcock is soon to be a free agent and the Pens have all the pieces in place for Babcock to step in and win a cup.
Why in the good lord's name would he go to Toronto when he could have Sid and Geno instead

Babcock to Pens - you heard it here almost first

What does that have to do with their head coach???

Harpo

Lyle forever
Sep 20, 2007
Quebec City
Well Edmonton should really be looking into this.

They really are the 1991-1992 Nordiques. They will win a cup or two, but I still will have no respect for them whatsoever.

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
Well Edmonton should really be looking into this.

They really are the 1991-1992 Nordiques. They will win a cup or two, but I still will have no respect for them whatsoever.

Unless they get Price, they won't be winning a Cup any time soon.

Harpo

Lyle forever
Sep 20, 2007
Quebec City
Unless they get Price, they won't be winning a Cup any time soon.
With a decent coach and a couple of trades, they will win the the Cup.

Just like the Nords/Avs, the Penguins, the Lightning.

For the rest of the league and the well-managed teams, it's just a slap in the face.

Haaabs

Jul 16, 2010
Montreal
With a decent coach and a couple of trades, they will win the the Cup.

Just like the Nords/Avs, the Penguins, the Lightning.

For the rest of the league and the well-managed teams, it's just a slap in the face.

Could be said about most teams.

I don't think Edmonton wins a cup with this core. They'll crash straight into a team like Anaheim, Chicago, even LA and that'll be the end of that. The problem they face is a lot of these guys are going to be demanding big contracts at the same time, and when they do, they'll either have to let some go or spend pennies on their defence and goalie.

The n00b King

Kingin' since 2003
Feb 10, 2008
Singapore
What's Wal Mart doing?

Hiring family members for high positions. But we're getting off track. Wal mart is practically universally hated and despite that, continues to thrive (they just bought all the leases from the defunct Canadian target stores...).

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013
Could be said about most teams.

I don't think Edmonton wins a cup with this core. They'll crash straight into a team like Anaheim, Chicago, even LA and that'll be the end of that. The problem they face is a lot of these guys are going to be demanding big contracts at the same time, and when they do, they'll either have to let some go or spend pennies on their defence and goalie.

What? Most teams don't have a player like Connor Mcdavid, surround that with the talent they already have. Now that they have a better GM, surely a better coach too, they'll be a very good team. Having a superstar on your squad does that for you. Plus, alot of those guys are already signed long term, next time they'll need a contract their team will be entirely different and so will the cap.

Last edited:

DD51*

Toronto is his obvious final destination.

They have tons of money to throw ar him and they badly need a real, eperienced and respected coach. + Him and Shanaham know each other very well.

Lots of work and challenges.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Toronto is his obvious final destination.

They have tons of money to throw ar him and they badly need a real, eperienced and respected coach. + Him and Shanaham know each other very well.

Lots of work and challenges.

They do have a ton of money but I'm not so sure that's all he cares about. The guy wants to win, and the Leafs let's be honest are a good 3-4 years from being competitive (if rebuild goes well ). They are no where close to being solid, he would be wasting his time there. In that case he is better off staying in Detroit.

Buffalo is in a better situation, they have the young pieces in place, only question is does he want to coach there and will they pay him?

I personally think he should stay in Detroit until Dats/Zetterberg retire!

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
Hiring family members for high positions. But we're getting off track. Wal mart is practically universally hated and despite that, continues to thrive (they just bought all the leases from the defunct Canadian target stores...).

They really don't hire family members for high positions. There've been few occasions (the eldest son, for instance), but that's not enough to accuse them of nepotism. And they bought 13 Target store locations. (Lowe's also bought 13; Canadian Tire is purchasing others) Target had 133 locations, fyi.

Connection + working to be qualified is different than nepotism. If any individual dedicated their life to be Chairman at Wal Mart, for instance, tailoring their education and career to eventually be a candidate there, provided they're of at least average intelligence, then they'd probably find a way to be a good candidate.

Same thing works in hockey. If you dedicate your life to the sport, you'll wind up in a good position there. Problem is, very few people dedicate themselves to hockey. That's why so many names are recycled; not because it's an old boys club (which it probably is anyway), or because of nepotism.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
It does seem more and more like he might go to Toronto. I originally thought he would, then flip flopped, now back to thinking it. It makes a bit of sense, but only if Shanahan is going to be the GM and hire assistants.

I know Babcock is the best coach out there, but you never hire a coach before the GM. It just makes things more difficult than they need to be.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
They do have a ton of money but I'm not so sure that's all he cares about. The guy wants to win, and the Leafs let's be honest are a good 3-4 years from being competitive (if rebuild goes well ). They are no where close to being solid, he would be wasting his time there. In that case he is better off staying in Detroit.

Buffalo is in a better situation, they have the young pieces in place, only question is does he want to coach there and will they pay him?

I personally think he should stay in Detroit until Dats/Zetterberg retire!

Babcock is also a dedicated family man, and has alluded to the fact that his wife/family will have no small amount of input as to his ultimate destination.

I mention this merely to point out there will be other factors that will contribute to where he signs, outside of hockey related matters.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
He probably goes back to Detroit unless there's some internal problems between him & Ilitch we don't know about and there's a mutual parting of ways. I bet they have an understanding where he can go out and take offers to determine a fair market rate on compensation for his new contract, so they can avoid potentially acrimonious negotiations, and then Ilitch has a right to match it.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
My view of the matter is that a team who has performed well wouldn't hesitate to significantly upgrade a player in a particular position on their current roster with the best player in the world at the position, be it via UFA or trade. The same logic should apply to coaches.

Babcock is widely regarded as the league's best coach and one of the best in the world. It would be silly to not even inquire about the opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->