TSN: Mike Babcock free to talk to other teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
No point in speculating about Babcock because there's no chance Therrien gets fired with the seasons that we've had

Saint Patrick

2 rings in my hears
Feb 14, 2007
No point in speculating about Babcock because there's no chance Therrien gets fired with the seasons that we've had

He did get fired after a similarly amazing season with the Pens. Wont happen in the offseason though, if it happens at all, by then Babcock will have signed on with someone else im guessing.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Toronto is his obvious final destination.

They have tons of money to throw ar him and they badly need a real, eperienced and respected coach. + Him and Shanaham know each other very well.

Lots of work and challenges.

The obvious destination is to stay in Detroit imho.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
He did get fired after a similarly amazing season with the Pens. Wont happen in the offseason though, if it happens at all, by then Babcock will have signed on with someone else im guessing.

The pens were in free fall when they fired him. The season got salvaged when bylsma came in.

But I do agree that there's no chance that MT is not back next season.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Toronto is his obvious final destination.

They have tons of money to throw ar him and they badly need a real, eperienced and respected coach. + Him and Shanaham know each other very well.

Lots of work and challenges.
I thought so too but I think its a poor fit for him. The Leafs don't have any kind of team over there and won't ice a winning team for a long time. Edmonton at least has a core of young players to work with.

If Babcock goes to TO it will be strictly for the cash.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
My thoughts as well. With McDavid coming in, the Oilers could be an interesting project for a coach. The team is still lacking defense and goaltending, but the pieces are there. Babcock bringing some defensive structure to them has a lot of potential.

TO? Forget about it. They suck and they will keep sucking for some time. Too many bad contracts, nothing in the prospects pool. It's gonna be at least 3-4 years just to tear down the actual team before even thinking about building something.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
In fact, TO should hire a bad coach to accelerate things up. Babcock would just slow down the rebuilding process.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010

He was fired halfway through a season.

This is a non story in Montreal. Therrien is not going anywhere.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I thought so too but I think its a poor fit for him. The Leafs don't have any kind of team over there and won't ice a winning team for a long time. Edmonton at least has a core of young players to work with.

If Babcock goes to TO it will be strictly for the cash.

I would be very surprised if he went to TO. Seriously, why in the heck would he want to go there?? It just doesn't make any sense.
Ya, he knows Shanahan, there's also a Murray connection in Buffalo. He's been in the league for a long time, I'm sure you could make a connection with a bunch of different teams.

Toronto has a terrible team, they apparently have a bunch of players with attitude issues, their media is hot garbage, and if he goes there he would be viewed as this messiah. If he doesn't have this team playing well by 2 years, he would get beaten up in the press, and this team probably won't be good by then.
I mean really, I don't see why he'd go there. It's such a poor situation to go to.

Edmonton with McDavid, if they moved one or two of their guys up front to get defensive help, they could easily be fighting for a PO spot as early as next year, and definitely the following season. The downfall is well, it's Edmonton.

Buffalo is further away, but the locker room isn't a mess, less media scrutiny, very close to Detroit as well. They didn't get McDavid, but Jack Eichel is quite the consolation price. They added E.Kane and Zach Bogosian too. They're not as close as I would put Edmonton to getting a solid team, but I think it's still a better situation than Toronto with less pressure.

San Jose, they already have a good team, and he knows some of the players from Team Canada. It's also California, maybe Babcock doesn't give a crap about this, but being able to walk out of filled up arena with pretty decent fans, in flip flops, go to the beach, is just awesome imo.

Philadelphia, they have two of the best players in the game this year, Voracek-Giroux. They need help on defense but they also have an owner/gms ready to make any necessary moves.

Obviously, there's also Detroit as a possibility.

Out of all those teams, Toronto is probably the least appealing. So I really don't see him signing there.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
I would be very surprised if he went to TO. Seriously, why in the heck would he want to go there?? It just doesn't make any sense.
Ya, he knows Shanahan, there's also a Murray connection in Buffalo. He's been in the league for a long time, I'm sure you could make a connection with a bunch of different teams.

Toronto has a terrible team, they apparently have a bunch of players with attitude issues, their media is hot garbage, and if he goes there he would be viewed as this messiah. If he doesn't have this team playing well by 2 years, he would get beaten up in the press, and this team probably won't be good by then.
I mean really, I don't see why he'd go there. It's such a poor situation to go to.

Edmonton with McDavid, if they moved one or two of their guys up front to get defensive help, they could easily be fighting for a PO spot as early as next year, and definitely the following season. The downfall is well, it's Edmonton.

Buffalo is further away, but the locker room isn't a mess, less media scrutiny, very close to Detroit as well. They didn't get McDavid, but Jack Eichel is quite the consolation price. They added E.Kane and Zach Bogosian too. They're not as close as I would put Edmonton to getting a solid team, but I think it's still a better situation than Toronto with less pressure.

San Jose, they already have a good team, and he knows some of the players from Team Canada. It's also California, maybe Babcock doesn't give a crap about this, but being able to walk out of filled up arena with pretty decent fans, in flip flops, go to the beach, is just awesome imo.

Philadelphia, they have two of the best players in the game this year, Voracek-Giroux. They need help on defense but they also have an owner/gms ready to make any necessary moves.

Out of all those teams, Toronto is probably the least appealing. So I really don't see him signing there.

Unless Babock, like Burke has a huge ego and feels he can turn this thing around, maybe the guy thrives on a challenge, and would prefer to goto a hot mess in order to put a stamp on his legacy. Who the hell knows, more importantly, he's not coming here, so who the hell cares.

Jakomyte

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Here's an article that actually suggests Montreal might be the place he would want to go above all else. Of course it is speculation, but it does make some sense:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...ach-in-hockey-how-do-we-know/article24380450/

I'm aware that its very unlikely to happen. I guess my questions is, IF Babcock went to Bergevin and said: "Montreal is my #1 choice, can you make it happen?" Would Bergevin get it done, or would he stick to DA coach he already has?

McClane

Mar 11, 2015
Kind of tells you how people around think of Therrien doesn't it? :laugh:
Yeah, I just find it hilarious how bad some fans want him and where their minds go. Some Buffalo guys thought they had an advantage over Edmonton because Buffalo is close to Canada. Never mind that Edmonton is Canada. :laugh:

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008

You forgot one thing. Babcock wants $5 million per year. Which one of those teams would be more likely to give him that? I would put Toronto on top of that list.

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
Or the fact they could be the next Chicago in the making. Babcock alone will start to attract some UFAs. Edmonton had no issues drawing players when they were winning. They just have been a joke for nearly a decade. Frankly, Edmonton is where I think Babcock goes.

So your saying you've never been to Edmonton.

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
Here's an article that actually suggests Montreal might be the place he would want to go above all else. Of course it is speculation, but it does make some sense:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...ach-in-hockey-how-do-we-know/article24380450/

I'm aware that its very unlikely to happen. I guess my questions is, IF Babcock went to Bergevin and said: "Montreal is my #1 choice, can you make it happen?" Would Bergevin get it done, or would he stick to DA coach he already has?

Re-signs for 1 year in Detroit, MT gets fired next year, hire an interim coach and Babcock next summer :naughty:

DD51*

Thre is seven teams without head coaches right now. Why would Babcock would like to be hired by the Habs ?

Babcock has already tons of other options.

psychonaut

Sep 4, 2003
Thre is seven teams without head coaches right now. Why would Babcock would like to be hired by the Habs ?

He wants 5-7 million and the chance for multiple cup's glory and part of history. :)
With Price and Subban I'm sure he realizes there some good to great potential here.

Jakomyte

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto

The article addresses your question, I'm not sure if you looked at it or not:
The best option is unavailable – Montreal. Babcock is a transplanted Montrealer from his school days. It’s the game’s most iconic franchise. It’s poised for a great disappointment, but the core of talent is still high.

Montreal is the only NHL city that gives Babcock’s legacy hunt the highest possible upside with limited risk. Maybe that’s why he’s stringing this thing out – to see if it’s possible.

Of course it is speculation, but its not without some logic as well. I just turned the question around to the Habs point of view.

Clearly MB has confidence in MT and is happy with him to this point (or at least this is supposedly the case). But, if MB is approached by a coach that he considers better, would he be ruthless, cut ties with MT and hire Babcock in order to upgrade at the coaching position?

It doesn't seem out of character for MB to make tough decisions that he thinks will improve the team (i.e. Gomez buyout).

la25ecoupe

Sep 23, 2008
MB said he's constently always trying to improve the team.. i wonder if he includes the coachig staffs..

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
The article addresses your question, I'm not sure if you looked at it or not:

Of course it is speculation, but its not without some logic as well. I just turned the question around to the Habs point of view.

Clearly MB has confidence in MT and is happy with him to this point (or at least this is supposedly the case). But, if MB is approached by a coach that he considers better, would he be ruthless, cut ties with MT and hire Babcock in order to upgrade at the coaching position?

It doesn't seem out of character for MB to make tough decisions that he thinks will improve the team (i.e. Gomez buyout).

Unlikely to happen but if MB wanted this, all he would have to do is move Therrien upstairs and give him another job in the organization. With that said I believe that we have a zero percent chance of getting Babcock. I say that he stays in Detroit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad