TSN: Mike Babcock free to talk to other teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habit11

Dec 18, 2009
If one of the best coach in the world is up for grab, as a GM you have to try to sign him, no matter what.

Don't care about money.
Don't care about current coach just got an extension.
Don't care he doesn't speak french.

If you have the chance to make your team better and Babcock will, you have to AT LEAST try to do it. It's a step in the right direction.

In a league with a cap and so much parity you have to gain competitive advantages wherever you can. Habs' can spend to the moon off the ice, so if Babcock were to be interested then you make it happen because Babcock > Therrien.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Why is so important speaking local language for FC Barcelona (Spanish), FC Milan Paris St-Germain (french) and this not important in Quebec?!?! Babcock, he was in Montreal so many years and he don't give a s... about French... Ans M. Molson is a francophile,he respect so much the frenc population. He said, he don't understand why english people living in MTL doesn't speak french... So forget it!

I dunno, maybe it's because of most players of those teams mainly speak the local language and need to be able to understand the coach? :laugh:

PsychoticHab

May 26, 2012
Ottawa
Whenever we hire a coach who doesn't speak French (hopefully it's Babcock), I hope we hire a translator like the sign language guy from the Mandella funeral. Anything to drive home the point that this rule about language is ridiculous.

McClane

Mar 11, 2015
I dunno, maybe it's because of most players of those teams mainly speak the local language and need to be able to understand the coach? :laugh:
Actually the leading European football clubs have local players (and language) as a minority, so English and translators are the norm now. One of the most successfully coaches right now, Jose Mourinho, started as a translator for Bobby Robson in Barcelona. It's really not true those football teams put a priority on the language spoken by their coaches. Robson and Van Gaal were in Barcelona speaking zero Spanish (let alone Catalan) and Paris St Germain had Carlo Ancelotti for a while.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
I wouldn't be surprised if they at least chat with Babcock. It wouldn't surprise me if he wouldn't see this opportunity as the ultimate challenge. Can always kick MT upstairs.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I wouldn't be surprised if they at least chat with Babcock. It wouldn't surprise me if he wouldn't see this opportunity as the ultimate challenge. Can always kick MT upstairs.

Better to make MT our scout in Uzbekistan.

MacEugene

Jun 1, 2014
Brussels
Why is so important speaking local language for FC Barcelona (Spanish), FC Milan Paris St-Germain (french) and this not important in Quebec?!?! Babcock, he was in Montreal so many years and he don't give a s... about French... Ans M. Molson is a francophile,he respect so much the frenc population. He said, he don't understand why english people living in MTL doesn't speak french... So forget it!

Yeah like when PSG previous coach was an Italian (their current french coach is only there because they had no better option available) and Barcelona had multiple non-Spanish (Dutch for the most part) coaches. Hell, they don't even speak Castillan (spanish) for the most part in Barcelona.
You know why? They don't give a **** about the language because they're all expected to speak english anyway and it's the journalists job to translate what they say.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010

I wonder if this could actually make sense for the Habs.

It seems like an ideal situation...

Babcock gets to coach here
MT still keeps some sort of senior management position
Habs are flushed with cash so we can do it
The media is happy

gis16*

Soccer and Hockey isn't the same mentality. It's also not the same continent (hence culture).

The Habs should not give themselves that handicap.

Because you think French people must accept everything...No Way!!!

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
This is a pipe dream, guys. Trust me, there's nothing I'd like to see more than for Babcock to come here but it just isn't going to happen. Bergevin is on record many times saying that the coach of the team will need to be able to speak french, and unfortunately that isn't Babcock. No matter how qualified you are at hockey and winning, that comes second when it comes to this team. Trust me, I live in New Brunswick and it's the same way here except it applies to all government jobs.

Fans care more about language and media than they do about the team winning, and until that changes then the situation surrounding us winning isn't going to change either.

Canadian_Brewtality

Feb 16, 2005
Wasn't there a rumor at one point that if Chicago was going to fire Quennville, then MB would have hired him? Dont think he speaks a word of English.

Not sure Bergy has said the coach needs to speak French.

Regardless, when the GM gives the coach a 4 year extension just last yr, they finish first in their division, and bottom out in 6 in the East-Semis, he is not gonna fire his coach. Regardless of Babcock being available.

I know fans have their hard on for him, but with arguably a more talented lineup in Detroit, how have the Wings fared the last few years?

People should focus more on the roster than the coach

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
People should focus more on the roster than the coach
Therrien will never get the best out of any roster Bergevin gives him. Just as Bergevin said there are players who'll get you into the playoffs, and those who'll get you through the playoffs, so there are coaches.

Therrien is not a coach who will get us through the playoffs.

It's that simple. If Molson & Bergevin are serious about winning a Stanley Cup, it's time for Therrien to go. If they'd rather kiss the ***** of the jackals on Antichambre, then so be it. I'll just reduce my emotional investment in this team accordingly, because I won't be made a damn fool to root for a team that doesn't put winning first.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
This is a pipe dream, guys. Trust me, there's nothing I'd like to see more than for Babcock to come here but it just isn't going to happen. Bergevin is on record many times saying that the coach of the team will need to be able to speak french, and unfortunately that isn't Babcock. No matter how qualified you are at hockey and winning, that comes second when it comes to this team. Trust me, I live in New Brunswick and it's the same way here except it applies to all government jobs.

Fans care more about language and media than they do about the team winning, and until that changes then the situation surrounding us winning isn't going to change either.

This is a bold statement considering how broad the Habs fanbase is.

Even if you limit yourself to "fans in Quebec" it doesn't make it true. I didn't receive my implants yet, so I can guarantee you there is no Borg-like society going on here.

Anyway, if some fans are willing to go tooth and nails to defend a coach like Therrien because of DA RECORD. Then they should be able to live with Babcock if the team is winning.

And yes, some mediots will be outraged if that happens, prolly the same guys who were outraged when Saku was named captain in 1999. But whatever, you can't please everyone and they are not the group "of fans" this team should aim to please.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
This is a bold statement considering how broad the Habs fanbase is.

Even if you limit yourself to "fans in Quebec" it doesn't make it true. I didn't receive my implants yet, so I can guarantee you there is no Borg-like society going on here.

Anyway, if some fans are willing to go tooth and nails to defend a coach like Therrien because of DA RECORD. Then they should be able to live with Babcock if the team is winning.

And yes, some mediots will be outraged if that happens, prolly the same guys who were outraged when Saku was named captain in 1999. But whatever, you can't please everyone and they are not the group "of fans" this team should aim to please.
I know, and I'm not trying to paint all fans of the team with the same brush. But the loudest are the ones that get heard; the ones picketing outside of the Bell Centre are the ones that get media attention rather than the majority who accept the decision.

I guarantee you if Therrien was fired in lieu of Babcock, it would be a huge deal. And it would be so sad to see some people basically say "I know he's the best coach in the NHL, but he doesn't speak french." That's the kind of stuff that gives fanbases of other teams ammunition against the Habs that even the most diehard Habs fan can't defend against.

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
Real Madrid's coach is Italian. Bayern Munich's coach is Spanish. The last coaches for Barcelona and PSG were both Italian. The coach for Marseille is Chilean.

Granted, the coach in Munich has actually learned how to speak German pretty well, and I'd hope if Babcock was here he'd do the same. But I don't think we should be counting out probably the best coach in the league based on the language he speaks. In this case it's not about language, Therrien is a mediocre coach, and Babcock is one of, if not the best. If Vigneault or Julien were available I'd be all for it. I'd be happy with Boucher too.

Last edited:

24Cups

Aug 2, 2005
Babcock ...WIN and you'll be ok. If not...bebye

Corrected this for you. For those Montreal sports fans who have a problem with a coach not speaking French, Felipe Alou, Buck Rogers, Dick Williams, and Gene Mauch all say hello.

They thrived here no reason Mike Babcock wouldn't. Oh yeah, bigoted French media needing to sell papers ... .

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Whenever we hire a coach who doesn't speak French (hopefully it's Babcock), I hope we hire a translator like the sign language guy from the Mandella funeral. Anything to drive home the point that this rule about language is ridiculous.

What drives me crazy is that for all the talk of how VITAL it is that the coach can speak French, most of the post-game pressers are not even televised regularly.

Just the other day Therrien was answering a question and he said "Il faut garder le big picture en tête".

What's the ****ing point if half of what he says is in hinglish anyways??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad