Confirmed with Link: #MikaFreed

sensfandan

Aug 21, 2004
Ottawa
But don't question the Murray's or the Stache.

They just know so much more than anyone else.

I just take issue with people blaming our struggles on something as trivial as line combinations. Hockey is a fluid sport, where line combinations and positions are constantly in flux simply due to the nature of the game. To think you can break the game down into a series of discrete events, where a player only has to perform a few tasks repeatedly, is folly IMO. People get way too caught up in thinking a line needs a "passer" and a "shooter", or the even more ambiguous "skilled" player.

Player success is largely correlated to team success, because players interact with the team as a whole, not to simply the player immediately to their right and left on the bench. I don't mean to completely dismiss the effect linemates can have, but to think a player's success or failure lies entirely on that single aspect of the game is short-sighted. If Zibanejad can win faceoffs, make smart breakouts, drive the net and use his speed/shot, he will look good regardless of his linemates. Bobby Ryan has played on quite a few different line combinations so far this season, and he's looked good in every instance.

John Holmes*

Me, I know more than a Jack Adams winning coach and a man who has been involved in running NHL teams for over 30 years, trust me:sarcasm:

30+ years, no championships and trading for guys like Gilroy and Kassian.

Yep, there's an expert in his field alright.

Sarcasticus

Mar 25, 2010
Ottawa
Here are the lines I'd like to see

Conacher - Spezza - Michalek
Macarthur - Turris - Ryan
Greening - Zibanejad - Condra
Kassian/Smith - Grant/Pageau - Neil

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
Kassian is the only head-scratcher to me.

I guess the team can thank him for being relatively healthy? Seems like a stretch. The Browns and the Orrs have no problem taking runs either way.

The dude has 0 penalty minutes. Taking no minors is great, but it's a fairly cushy enforcer gig. Save him for Minnesota and maybe Montreal... just for nostalgia.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
I just take issue with people blaming our struggles on something as trivial as line combinations. Hockey is a fluid sport, where line combinations and positions are constantly in flux simply due to the nature of the game. To think you can break the game down into a series of discrete events, where a player only has to perform a few tasks repeatedly, is folly IMO. People get way too caught up in thinking a line needs a "passer" and a "shooter", or the even more ambiguous "skilled" player.

Player success is largely correlated to team success, because players interact with the team as a whole, not to simply the player immediately to their right and left on the bench. I don't mean to completely dismiss the effect linemates can have, but to think a player's success or failure lies entirely on that single aspect of the game is short-sighted. If Zibanejad can win faceoffs, make smart breakouts, drive the net and use his speed/shot, he will look good regardless of his linemates. Bobby Ryan has played on quite a few different line combinations so far this season, and he's looked good in every instance.

Damn trivial line combinations after all Vermette did it.

John Holmes*

Bobby Ryan with Grant and Kassian isn't going to do Jack **** on the ice.

It would probably be enough for him to walk as a UFA.

Line combos / chemistry is real, and does matter.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Call me crazy, but I'd try..

Zibanejad-Spezza-Ryan

Conacher-Turris-MacArthur

Michalek-Pageau-Greening

Condra-Smith-Neil

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
well that's not going to lead to crazy speculation at all.....
why would you leave it at that? i guarantee everyone's imagination is far crazier than realilty.

Drug issues? Drunk all the time? sleeping with a teammates wife?
those are the standard 'non performance speculations'

Would be funny if Montreal gave us a massive overpayment for him....

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Zibanejad-Spezza-Ryan

Michalek-Pageau-Greening

Condra-Smith-Neil

We saw flashes of Zibby being quite comfortable in a top 6 role last year.

Can't see them bringing him up and slotting him up there right away after the whole training camp debacle though.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012

Zibanejad-Spezza-Ryan

Michalek-Pageau-Greening

Condra-Smith-Neil

Nice in theory but Zinanejad plays center, why does everyone think its so simple to move players to a position they are not used to ?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Absolutely awful. Mac is doing everything he can not to win the Adams again. With this lineup, you have 2 lines that are not useless, and one of them (Spezza's) is horrible defensively.

MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Greening - Spezza - Michalek
Conacher - Zibanejad - Pageau
Smith - Grant - Condra

Gives you 3 useful lines. The 4th line is very solid defensively and is filled with PKers.

Hey thanks, with lineups like this you are taking a lot of the heat off me. :laugh:

Heatley's demise begin in his second year in San Jose, when he still had Thornton has his centre. Besides, Heatley played his very best hockey in Ottawa when Spezza was injured, and he had to play a month with Chris Kelly as his centre. Heatley has no one to blame but himself for the player he's become.
Age ... he was a great player for numerous yrs in Atlanta, Ottawa & with Team Canada. He is getting older & some people age much quicker than others, he is much past his prime now. :(

Good to see that BM/PM have come to their senses & sent Da Costa down to Bingo, hopefully Pageau is next & Condra is benched. With the callups of Grant & Zibanejad they now have some decent size up the middle but Grant can also play RW.

Conacher - Spezza - Michalek
MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Greening - Zibanejad - Grant
Condra - Z. Smith - Neil/Kassian/Pageau

P.S. - Fleischmann is again leading Floida in scoring & would be tied with Spezza with 8 pts here in Ottawa. And its quite likely that he is still available with another yr left on a very reasonable $4.5 mil cap hit & could be insurance should Michalek leave & would be an upgrade on Conacher.

Indrew

Feb 6, 2007
Bobby Ryan with Grant and Kassian isn't going to do Jack **** on the ice.

It would probably be enough for him to walk as a UFA.

Line combos / chemistry is real, and does matter.

You've turned internet posting into an extreme sport. I like it.

Just to play along, if you play that line 18-20 minutes a game, every game... Ryan probably still walks away with 60+ points. The team doesn't do too well mind you. Grant walks and signs in Nashville for 3M a year for 4 years.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
well that's not going to lead to crazy speculation at all.....
why would you leave it at that? i guarantee everyone's imagination is far crazier than realilty.

Drug issues? Drunk all the time? sleeping with a teammates wife?
those are the standard 'non performance speculations'

Just waiting for the ok to share from Bonk but its nothing nefarious.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I do think that we need 3 lines that are capable of generating scoring chances on a regular basis.

They don't all have to score every game, but they should have the capacity to do so.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
For those complaining about Zibby being on the 4th line: He started last season on the 4th line and that didn't last long.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Pretty tiring seeing people blame Kassian for the downfall of others.

Yeah, I get that you're not going to light the world on fire with him riding shotgun, but he's been on the ice for 21:23 this season.

If that was a per game average, he'd be 3rd on the team for TOI. But it's not.

Whomever comprises the other 2/3 of the 4th line has had somebody else to play with for the majority of their shifts.

Lots of guys have been performing poorly so far this season, and it isn't all Kassian's fault. If you're sick of seeing him dressed, fine. I get that. But you can't just use him as a whipping boy when he hasn't actually hurt the team during any of his 2 shifts/period.

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
Man I am confused Greening-Smith-Neil Why Why Why ? Leave Zibanejad down if he is playing with forth line scubs, I thought that was why he was sent down ?

This is my point as well. Pageau was playing with scrubs and they expected him to produce and the same thing will happen with Zibanejad. Pageau's line with Greening and Condra dominated in the playoffs so you would think that Maclean would have them play together to start the year but no they put Greening with Smith and Neil which makes no sense.

I would do:

Greening Spezza Ryan
Zibanejad Turris Conacher
MacArthur Pageau Michalek
Condra Smith Neil

You can also flip Conacher and Michalek

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
But you can't just use him as a whipping boy when he hasn't actually hurt the team during any of his 2 shifts/period.

I don't think anyone is blaming Kassian.

They are blaming the coaching for requiring a guy to double shift to cover for a player who has no purpose out there.

He should certainly dress against teams that have a similar player - who will also require his team to cover for him.

It may seem like a small thing, but I think it can have a big impact - particularly when icetimes starting getting big for your top guys due to special teams (which this team spends a lot of time on this year).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad