Confirmed with Link: #MikaFreed

The EnigmatiC Soul*

Ah, the dog, makes sense! Thanks guys!

As a guy who owns a Pageau jersey, I got to say I think it be more than acceptable to have him go down for a while and play bigger minutes and keep zibby up. It is not like Pageau won't be back with the big club sooner than later.

The kid just has to work on his faceoffs though. His percentage on the dot is truly awful this year. Get him some top line minutes down in Bingo and get his confidence back.

Now for Mika....let's push the pace and make some magic!!

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Ah, the dog, makes sense! Thanks guys!

As a guy who owns a Pageau jersey, I got to say I think it be more than acceptable to have him go down for a while and play bigger minutes and keep zibby up. It is not like Pageau won't be back with the big club sooner than later.

The kid just has to work on his faceoffs though. His percentage on the dot is truly awful this year. Get him some top line minutes down in Bingo and get his confidence back.

Now for Mika....let's push the pace and make some magic!!

He's not going down (yet), he's currently hurt.

The EnigmatiC Soul*

He's not going down (yet), he's currently hurt.

Yeah, I do understand that, but really the chances of him not going down(when injury heals) seem pretty low. Seems like he could use a little seasoning. Nothing wrong with that fact either

GimmeMyJetpack

Classless.
Jun 25, 2012
Ottawa
My personal opinion is that sending down Pageau is a mistake. He did an interview with Renaud Lavoie maybe(cant remember who exactly) where he stated he found it harder right now then last year because he still has to learn how other teams play. Said it was easy in the playoffs when you met the same team every game but it would take him some time to adapt. The best thing for him would be to give 10-12 mins a game instead of 3 or 4. The only issue are his faceoffs and even those are getting better.

Let me remind you of this last year in the playoffs.
3 Jean-Gabriel Pageau OTT C 48.8
4 Mika Zibanejad OTT C 36.8

With that said it certainly seems like Maclean has a massive hard-on for Greening-Smith-Neil despite how awful they have been.
Bottom 6 would be this in my books.

Greening - Pageau - Condra
Smith - Zibby - Neil

Greening and Smith are interchangeable if Zibby or Pageau struggle in the dot.

You guys do realize that Colin Greening is playing C after the draws are taken by Smith right? That's how bad Smith has been defensively. Moving him to the wing where he can still come in to take draws makes sense.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Sending down young players is usually not a mistake. Zibby is definitely better than some roster players, but putting him on the roster for that reason can be shortsighted.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
My personal opinion is that sending down Pageau is a mistake. He did an interview with Renaud Lavoie maybe(cant remember who exactly) where he stated he found it harder right now then last year because he still has to learn how other teams play. Said it was easy in the playoffs when you met the same team every game but it would take him some time to adapt. The best thing for him would be to give 10-12 mins a game instead of 3 or 4. The only issue are his faceoffs and even those are getting better.

Let me remind you of this last year in the playoffs.
3 Jean-Gabriel Pageau OTT C 48.8
4 Mika Zibanejad OTT C 36.8

With that said it certainly seems like Maclean has a massive hard-on for Greening-Smith-Neil despite how awful they have been.
Bottom 6 would be this in my books.

Greening - Pageau - Condra
Smith - Zibby - Neil

Greening and Smith are interchangeable if Zibby or Pageau struggle in the dot.

You guys do realize that Colin Greening is playing C after the draws are taken by Smith right? That's how bad Smith has been defensively. Moving him to the wing where he can still come in to take draws makes sense.

This just isn't true at all, Greening has never once skated in as a Center.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Playing on the 4th line with limited minutes in Ottawa will be so much better for Zibby than having him be the go to guy in Bingo. I don't know why I was against this.

Carrie Underwood

Jul 28, 2010
I have a feeling we are going to be seeing a new kind of zibby when he plays. He has all the tools, now he has something to prove as well. Boy oh boy am I excited!

GimmeMyJetpack

Classless.
Jun 25, 2012
Ottawa
This just isn't true at all, Greening has never once skated in as a Center.

Really? Have you watched the games recently? I said he plays center AFTER Smith takes the draw.

It's really quite easy to spot. Watch Colin Greening play down low in the slot in the defensive zone while Smith covers a point man...it's not always but it's happened more and more recently. Now it could be just that they are running around with their heads cut off and and are playing more of a free form D, but it's happened quite often lately so I would hope it's the coach telling them to switch.

WhiteLight*

Sending down young players is usually not a mistake. Zibby is definitely better than some roster players, but putting him on the roster for that reason can be shortsighted.

If he's the 11th or 12th best forward, sure it's better to send him down.

When he's a top 4/5/6 forward on the team, it's without a doubt a mistake. A top 4 forward on the team is down in the minors and they wonder why they're losing games.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Greening-Zibanejad-Neil
Smith-Grant-Condra

Do it. Condra and Neil are interchangeable.

BigBush*

If he's the 11th or 12th best forward, sure it's better to send him down.

When he's a top 4/5/6 forward on the team, it's without a doubt a mistake. A top 4 forward on the team is down in the minors and they wonder why they're losing games.

Agree with this. Zib was definitely one of the better players on the team last year and can help the team win. I think the move to send Zib to the minors had less to do with development and more to do with motivating him to up his compete level. At his age he probably doesn't have that much money, and he takes a huge pay cut when he's not with the Sens.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Zibby is a good player, but at this stage he certainly is not top 4 on the team. If he was top 6 he would not have been sent down for seasoning.
Spezza
Ryan
Turris
Michalek
MacArthur
Conacher

Maybe Zibby here, depending on how you interpret his play last season.

Overrating prospects and thinking every new player farts pixie dust is basically what Leafs fans do, so lets shoot a bit higher than that. Zibby absolutely has the potential to be a top 6 forward on the team, but I want what people are smoking if they think he is already one of our top 4 forwards. He has done absolutely nothing at the NHL level to prove top 6 credentials, and the argument for top 9 would be possible but on the weak side as well.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Zibby is a good player, but at this stage he certainly is not top 4 on the team. If he was top 6 he would not have been sent down for seasoning.
Spezza
Ryan
Turris
Michalek
MacArthur
Conacher

Overrating prospects and thinking every new player farts pixie dust is basically what Leafs fans do, so lets shoot a bit higher than that. Zibby absolutely has the potential to be a top 6 forward on the team, but I want what people are smoking if they think he is already one of our top 4 forwards. He has done absolutely nothing at the NHL level to prove top 6 credentials, and the argument for top 9 would be possible but on the weak side as well.

I agree with all of this. And I find it confusing that they send him down for not putting in a complete effort yet reward him 6 games into the AHL season. Kind of counterproductive if you ask me. He won't improve playing with scrubs on the Sens' 4th line.

KarlssonnSchultz

Feb 5, 2013
Ottawa
Spezza
Ryan
Turris
Michalek
MacArthur
Conacher

Zibby>Conacher for sure in my opinion. Last year, and likely right now as well.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
The message was sent just by sending him down. It's a terrible feeling to get cut if you've ever played hockey, especially if you were already on the team the year before. Not only that, but he had to play three days in a row already, take long bus rides, eat worse food than he's used to, etc.

Be it 6 games or 60, it's the whole principle of sending him down that was the point of all this, not the number of games he would be down.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Zibby>Conacher for sure in my opinion. Last year, and likely right now as well.

NHL Totals:
Conacher: 55 GP--- 13 goals, 18 assists, 31 points.

Z-Bad: 51 GP----- 7 goals, 14 assists, 21 points.

You have the right to your own opinion, but the numbers do not support your argument at all. Zibby probably has a higher ceiling in terms of potential, but when discussing where a player is at right now potential does not matter much.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I agree with your general point, but sweet jesus would I like to see what Zibby can do alongside Stamkos and St Louis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad