Waived: Mikael Samuelsson

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
and Glendening has essentially reached his ceiling he's a nice depth player but he's not going to develop into anything more than a depth player. However since he went to Michigan and is from Grand Rapids it makes for a great story. If he had not played at Michigan and was not a local kid he would not even have been signed by Grand Rapids, he'd be with another AHL team or playing a 1st line role on some ECHL team.

I respect your enthusiasm for Callahan, and you make valid points in regards to him. I like Callahan too. But please stop with this utter nonsense about Glendening. You're either letting your bias for Callahan get overly extreme or you simply don't know what you're talking about. Glendening has proven himself at every level, he has earned every promotion he has been given, he is not a marketing tool and to suggest so is just silly.

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
I respect your enthusiasm for Callahan, and you make valid points in regards to him. I like Callahan too. But please stop with this utter nonsense about Glendening. You're either letting your bias for Callahan get overly extreme or you simply don't know what you're talking about. Glendening has proven himself at every level, he has earned every promotion he has been given, he is not a marketing tool and to suggest so is just silly.

With all due respect, I can say the same thing in regards to Glendening. There has been nothing he has shown that says he is anything more than a depth player.

NyquistIsMyGod*

With all due respect, I can say the same thing in regards to Glendening. There has been nothing he has shown that says he is anything more than a depth player.

Has anyone here claimed that Glendening is more than a fourth line player?

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007

You seem to have missed my point. But if it makes you feel better to believe that Glendening is where he is simply because of the fact that he played at UM, then far be it from me to try to convince you otherwise. Agree to disagree.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Detroit Red Wings ‏@DetroitRedWings 16 min
UPDATE: Prior to the Olympic Break, the #RedWings assigned Sheahan and Jurco to @griffinshockey; Samuelsson has been recalled.

Interesting. Since Samuelsson is reported to be injured in GR, is LTIR to follow?

crashman

If Samuelsson can be LTIR for the year that could endup saving a ton.

He claimed that he was injured for his convenience over the summer, might as well do it again! It's not like he's going to play anyways, might as well collect his checks at while sitting in the comfort of his home! What a punk this guy has become...

Detroit Sports*

He claimed that he was injured for his convenience over the summer, might as well do it again! It's not like he's going to play anyways, might as well collect his checks at while sitting in the comfort of his home! What a punk this guy has become...

How is he a punk? What did he do wrong? Our moron GM gave him the contract...

crashman

How is he a punk? What did he do wrong? Our moron GM gave him the contract...

He fell off a cliff the moment he signed here. I thought it was a fine signing until he became an injury prone under achiever. Claiming he'd dispute the buyout was some BS too. I know it was untimately Holland's fault for bringing him back, but Sammy became a healthy scratch in GR, what does that tell you?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
He fell off a cliff the moment he signed here. I thought it was a fine signing until he became an injury prone under achiever. Claiming he'd dispute the buyout was some BS too. I know it was untimately Holland's fault for bringing him back, but Sammy became a healthy scratch in GR, what does that tell you?

False. He played 48/82 games the year before we signed him. And was 35 years old.

Didn't take a rocket scientist to know that was a terrible idea from the day he was signed. Didn't even need hindsight for that one really.

crashman

False. He played 48/82 games the year before we signed him. And was 35 years old.

Didn't take a rocket scientist to know that was a terrible idea from the day he was signed. Didn't even need hindsight for that one really.

Yet he still produced. It wasn't until this season that his production stopped. He was injury-prone in Vancouver and Florida, but he played well when he was in the lineup.

Detroit Sports*

This. Look back in the archives ( myself included) HATED the signing on the day! It's all on Kenny for these retreads clogging up the cap and roster. 100% GM, can't blame a washed up has been for taking a check...

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

48 games as a florida panther. and 6 games as a vancouver canuck. for total of 54. not that it changes much but still.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Yet he still produced. It wasn't until this season that his production stopped. He was injury-prone in Vancouver and Florida, but he played well when he was in the lineup.

very productive when he came back from injury. I hate this stuff about him being 35. Is he injury prone if he plays 54/82 as a 33 yr old? What about 31? Then there is a guy like Andrei Markov who hasn't missed a game this or last season but still has people handicapping him because of his previous knee troubles. I think too much is read into a lot of this stuff, and a fair chunk is more a guess than anything.

Speaking of guesses, :naughty: I think Sammy's problem last year was the same as Bert's : came to camp out of shape, hurt himself, then never got on track. The reported willingness to fight a buyout with the pectoral muscle crap burned his bridges here, and stapled him to the pressbox. It wasn't that he was old, it was that he didn't put in the work to be ready for the season to start. Doesn't exactly paint him in a better light, but tearing a groin last season screams out of shape. It's not a surprise that the guys who played somewhere during the lockout came back and were largely fine, and that the guys who did nothing ended up on the shelf.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I'll just say this: when the idea of Holland signing Samuelsson first presented itself on this board I only assumed it as a dirty joke. I laughed and thought "yeah right."

But then it actually happened. And I felt similar to how I felt when Cleary received his contract this year.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
very productive when he came back from injury. I hate this stuff about him being 35. Is he injury prone if he plays 54/82 as a 33 yr old? What about 31? Then there is a guy like Andrei Markov who hasn't missed a game this or last season but still has people handicapping him because of his previous knee troubles. I think too much is read into a lot of this stuff, and a fair chunk is more a guess than anything.

Speaking of guesses, :naughty: I think Sammy's problem last year was the same as Bert's : came to camp out of shape, hurt himself, then never got on track. The reported willingness to fight a buyout with the pectoral muscle crap burned his bridges here, and stapled him to the pressbox. It wasn't that he was old, it was that he didn't put in the work to be ready for the season to start. Doesn't exactly paint him in a better light, but tearing a groin last season screams out of shape. It's not a surprise that the guys who played somewhere during the lockout came back and were largely fine, and that the guys who did nothing ended up on the shelf.

Your ability to recover and rehab from injuries diminishes as you get older. So age absolutely plays a factor. There is a big difference between an inury prone 30 year old and an inury prone 35 year old.

That's why the wings thought they were safe on offering a 5 year deal to a guy like Weiss coming off an injury-plagued season.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Your ability to recover and rehab from injuries diminishes as you get older. So age absolutely plays a factor. There is a big difference between an inury prone 30 year old and an inury prone 35 year old.

That's why the wings thought they were safe on offering a 5 year deal to a guy like Weiss coming off an injury-plagued season.

If Samuelsson is so injury-prone, why can't he get injured at this season? He has been 100% full healthy after those buyout period "I have an injury" threats. No any help for LTIR when it would be mostly needed.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If Samuelsson is so injury-prone, why can't he get injured at this season? He has been 100% full healthy after those buyout period "I have an injury" threats. No any help for LTIR when it would be mostly needed.

He's so bad that we'd be better off if he was hurt.

Which highlights even more why that signing was so fantastic.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

It plays a part but I still think it's overstated in most cases. Did Sammy hurt his groin last year because he was old or because he didn't stay in shape (or maybe just because he relies on Wings trainers, hehe...)? Did he then break his finger because he was old? And at what point do we start attributing injuries to age? If Kronwall blows his knee out tomorrow, is it because he's 33?

Right now, the only injury history that would really concern me is a history of concussions. We're seeing more and more players get knees fixed, get arms fixed, etc. and go on to have long careers. Concussions seem to have a nastier habit of building on each other.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
hopefully this is just to allow sheahan to play during the break in GR and not a move to go beyond the break or else we can kiss the playoffs goodbye

FadedWingsFan

Jan 28, 2013
Vancouver BC
Detroit recalls Samuelsson, assigns Jurco and Sheahan

So are we basically setting our selves up for disaster after the olympic break? I just dont understand why this is happening? or is it to get those kids playing time. (I've never made a thread on this forum so if I wasn't supposed to make a thread like this sorry)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad