Waived: Mikael Samuelsson

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
He's also a pest, of the like we've not had since Maltby.

Very true.

I see everyone posting their lineups for next season in the other thread, and I don't think I saw one mention of Glendening. Even though Ferraro and Callahan will both lose their waiver exemption (and Glendening will not), I don't think both will necessarily jump Glendening. They're going to have to show they are as at least as valuable. And that will be an uphill battle.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Very true.

I see everyone posting their lineups for next season in the other thread, and I don't think I saw one mention of Glendening. Even though Ferraro and Callahan will both lose their waiver exemption (and Glendening will not), I don't think both will necessarily jump Glendening. They're going to have to show they are as at least as valuable. And that will be an uphill battle.

Well, since Glen won't lose his waiver status, why not send him down for a game or two and bring up Ferraro, then Callahan. Let them show what they got?

I know the Wings are in the playoff hunt so to speak, but I don't think a couple of 4th liners being up for a game or two will kill that chance. The injuries will kill that chance.

It'd be nice to see the Wings implement a "sink or swim" policy every now and then. I'm not saying a couple games for those guys will be it, but cut the dead weight, gives these guys a roster spot and see what happens. It's not like 4th line players are hard to aquire, especially after training camp when a lot get cut. Plus, Detroit has depth in the bottom 6 anyway.

I guess it's a gripe of mine...they develop these guys for 3 years, and then sign vets over them and don't give them an actual shot at the team. I mean how long ago was it Babcock saying that Sheahan needed to step it up in his cup of coffee? He stepped up. I really think Callahan and Ferraro can too.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Well, since Glen won't lose his waiver status, why not send him down for a game or two and bring up Ferraro, then Callahan. Let them show what they got?

When you said it and when thinking of it, this could be the point to call either of those guys up. Andersson is already on his wrong position as a winger, so send Glendening down, put Andy to center the 4th line and slot one winger (Callahan or Ferraro) to that 3rd line. Or promote Miller on the 3rd and put the kid on the 4th line.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Very true.

I think we're going to have to wait for training camp before this starts to get clear up. That's where Callahan and Ferraro will have to prove themselves to Wings management and earn a spot.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I don't know, they've managed to find a spot for Glendening, who is plenty gritty and fantastic defensively. And I haven't seen anyone of that type/caliber just walk out of Detroit recently, at least not that I'm remembering.

The main reason Glendening got the call up was because we needed a center with Helm being injured. Emmerton had that 4th line spot before but did nothing to establish himself in Detroit.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Glendening. He's clearly carved out a niche however if we are fully healthy at center do they keep him up or do they send him back down?

My guess is he's a tweener who the Wings would like to keep in Grand Rapids and call him up as an injury replacement. One thing you cannot take away from him is he's made himself relevant to the organization and with that being the case there's a chance he can stick on the roster.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
The main reason Glendening got the call up was because we needed a center with Helm being injured. Emmerton had that 4th line spot before but did nothing to establish himself in Detroit.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Glendening. He's clearly carved out a niche however if we are fully healthy at center do they keep him up or do they send him back down?

My guess is he's a tweener who the Wings would like to keep in Grand Rapids and call him up as an injury replacement. One thing you cannot take away from him is he's made himself relevant to the organization and with that being the case there's a chance he can stick on the roster.

I think they send him back down, and leave him there, just to keep his waiver option for next year. The guy has fit in well, but he's a depth guy, and I expect him to start in GR next year just because he can.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007

Right, that's why he was called up. But we have 5 healthy centers in Detroit right now, and Glendening is still here. That's what I meant in saying the Wings have found a spot for him.

Yeah, pretty much. I'd guess he gets sent back down at some point, if we get healthy enough, but he could easily be a factor later on, maybe in the playoffs. And he will certainly be next season.

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
Who are these physical phantom guys who we have let walk from our system? We haven't even drafted those kind of guys before Callahan. :laugh: :help:

Last that kind of guy who did pan out for an NHL career has been Holmström and Darren McCarty, and those were drafted two decades ago. And we were pretty loyal against both guys.

This is 100% ********.

You made my point for me, thank you. The Wings don't have these types of players in their system until 2009, so why are they going to let Callahan walk out the door? That's the point. Jaster was suggesting it was no big loss and they could just pick one up in free agency, why would you go overpay on the open market when you can groom your own?

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
I don't know, they've managed to find a spot for Glendening, who is plenty gritty and fantastic defensively. And I haven't seen anyone of that type/caliber just walk out of Detroit recently, at least not that I'm remembering.

Glendening is severely over rate on these boards. Callahan is a better player and can actually drop the gloves. And again the Wings have not drafted those types of players until recently. You finally get a player who can play effective defensively, drop the gloves, and is a good skater and you're willing to let him walk for Glendening? Callahan is the Andrew Shaw type this team has been missing, Glendening is not the type of player. He's a hard worker, lunch pail type of player, but he is not an Andrew Shaw type of player. The reason Glendening is so popular is because we have several U of M fans, including the coach.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Glendening is severely over rate on these boards. Callahan is a better player and can actually drop the gloves. And again the Wings have not drafted those types of players until recently. You finally get a player who can play effective defensively, drop the gloves, and is a good skater and you're willing to let him walk for Glendening? Callahan is the Andrew Shaw type this team has been missing, Glendening is not the type of player. He's a hard worker, lunch pail type of player, but he is not an Andrew Shaw type of player. The reason Glendening is so popular is because we have several U of M fans, including the coach.

I really doubt they waive Callahan or Ferraro for Glendening to start next season. Nyquist is on pace for over 50 points this year after a great playoff and he didnt even start this season on the wings roster because he could be sent down.

I would expect if either Callahan or Ferraro have a solid preseason, Glendening will be sent down so these guys can show what theyve got.

I would more expect Andersson to be traded and roll lines with Datsyuk/Z, Sheahan, Weiss and Helm next year to start. Glendening down and give Callahan a fourth line shot. I actually think Callahan will come into camp and impress, score a couple goals and maybe fight to keep a spot. Blashill likes him and hes playing on GR's top line now.

Ferraro is a different situation. Hes been underwhelming after last season being great.

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
I really doubt they waive Callahan or Ferraro for Glendening to start next season. Nyquist is on pace for over 50 points this year after a great playoff and he didnt even start this season on the wings roster because he could be sent down.

I would expect if either Callahan or Ferraro have a solid preseason, Glendening will be sent down so these guys can show what theyve got.

I would more expect Andersson to be traded and roll lines with Datsyuk/Z, Sheahan, Weiss and Helm next year to start. Glendening down and give Callahan a fourth line shot. I actually think Callahan will come into camp and impress, score a couple goals and maybe fight to keep a spot. Blashill likes him and hes playing on GR's top line now.

Ferraro is a different situation. Hes been underwhelming after last season being great.

I hope you're right. I think Callahan can be our Brendan Gallagher/Andrew Shaw type who gets under the other team's skin and chip in on the fourth line.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
I hope you're right. I think Callahan can be our Brendan Gallagher/Andrew Shaw type who gets under the other team's skin and chip in on the fourth line.

I hope the Wings aren't planning on giving Callahan $6m+ a year long-term to play on the 4th line. That's what he's going to get on his next deal. I like him and would play him in the top 6, but if they see him as a 4th liner, they should just say no.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
I hope the Wings aren't planning on giving Callahan $6m+ a year long-term to play on the 4th line. That's what he's going to get on his next deal. I like him and would play him in the top 6, but if they see him as a 4th liner, they should just say no.

I think they're referring to Mitch Callahan

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada

Mitch Callahan, not Ryan.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007

Severely? Granted, I don't post a ton, and read only a portion of the forum, but I see no Glendening hype around here, never mind anything on the 'severe' level. All I've seen is people overlooking him. In that regard, I think he's underrated. If anyone is overrated in these discussions, it's Callahan and especially Ferraro, two guys who have been acceptable-to-good AHLers, but who have done nothing at any level to clearly suggest they are more valuable at the NHL level than Glendening. He's simply shown more than the other two, period. Sure, Callahan may be more prone to drop the gloves, but Glendening is better defensively and a better skater. So yeah, competition is great and the Wings should have it in camp, but if Callahan doesn't show he's ready to take a big step, I let him get waived in favor of Glendening without blinking.

And the UM thing is a big, fat red herring. I'm a UM alum and I like Glendening, but I had these same arguments in defense of Drew Miller, a Spartan, against guys like Kris Newbury and Mattias Ritola 4 years ago. And as some oldies around here can probably attest, I was a big fan of Ritola.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Yeah, it's a pretty much lock that even if we would have waiver-exempt Callahan and non-exempt Glendening, waivers will determine, that the exempt guy will go down. Because that's the only choise in good asset management. That way you keep both guys and other guy can be injury replacement. Win-win situation.

But in our situation, the player with even better toolbox (Callahan) is the non-exempt player, so i'ts 100% sure that if there will be decicion between Callahan and Glendening, the waiver-exempt Glendening is the guy who will go down. It's waste of time to even speculate with a different decision.

I can take bets against this thing. Just name the stake how high. jaster? anyone?

Last edited:

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
Severely? Granted, I don't post a ton, and read only a portion of the forum, but I see no Glendening hype around here, never mind anything on the 'severe' level. All I've seen is people overlooking him. In that regard, I think he's underrated. If anyone is overrated in these discussions, it's Callahan and especially Ferraro, two guys who have been acceptable-to-good AHLers, but who have done nothing at any level to clearly suggest they are more valuable at the NHL level than Glendening. He's simply shown more than the other two, period. Sure, Callahan may be more prone to drop the gloves, but Glendening is better defensively and a better skater. So yeah, competition is great and the Wings should have it in camp, but if Callahan doesn't show he's ready to take a big step, I let him get waived in favor of Glendening without blinking.

And the UM thing is a big, fat red herring. I'm a UM alum and I like Glendening, but I had these same arguments in defense of Drew Miller, a Spartan, against guys like Kris Newbury and Mattias Ritola 4 years ago. And as some oldies around here can probably attest, I was a big fan of Ritola.

1) Callahan can't take the next step if he is not able to showcase himself in the NHL. So it's wrong to say Glendening has shown more than Callahan, he hasn't. Callahan is leading the team in goals (or was until this weekend) while playing on the 3rd or fourth line. He is a better skater and plays on the penalty kill. Callahan is also much grittier than Glendening which is an element this team is missing.

2) Glendening and Callahan play two different games, and Glendening is not exactly played great, he's -7 and has 3 assists? He's a blue collar, lunch pail type of player but he is not gritty like Callahan.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
1) Callahan can't take the next step if he is not able to showcase himself in the NHL. So it's wrong to say Glendening has shown more than Callahan, he hasn't. Callahan is leading the team in goals (or was until this weekend) while playing on the 3rd or fourth line. He is a better skater and plays on the penalty kill. Callahan is also much grittier than Glendening which is an element this team is missing.

2) Glendening and Callahan play two different games, and Glendening is not exactly played great, he's -7 and has 3 assists? He's a blue collar, lunch pail type of player but he is not gritty like Callahan.

I'm not defending either player, but if Callahan is a + player playing limited minutes on the 4th line next season I'll be shocked.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

That Callahan goalscoring has really been a huge surprise.

We won't see AHL ice-times anywhere, but I have seen those games enough to know how small his role has been, and make estimates how much ice-time 3rd/4th liner with PK role usually gets.

It's something like 12-13 minutes at maximum, with only ES+PK time.

Like Pulkkinen, it's almost sure that Teemu has had at least 18minutes of ice-time this season, and only ES+PP time. That's huge advantage to have a great production.

Both have scored 18 goals and have shot ~130 shots in 46 games. 2.83 shots per game. But if we estimate that Pulkkinen plays 18 minutes, it's 0.162 shots/minute, when Callahan shoots 0.283 shots/minute. Than Pulkkinen rate is quite normal with ES+PP, but that Callahan rate is somehow exceptional I have maybe never counted from any Bottom6 player. I have many per ice-time stats from many leagues and this is something special.

It makes that Callahan production really in a great perspective. He shoots like mad and those pucks are now going in. Maybe one of our biggest secrets right now.

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
If Luke Glendening is not a local product, had not gone to UofM as a walk-on he would not even have been signed by the Wings organization, much less in the NHL. He has done nothing to surpass Callahan at the AHL level, and Callahan offers more at the NHL level. unfortunately for Callahan he did not have the good fortune of playing locally or at a local university, all he has done is improve aspects of hid game to make himself an NHL ready player while offering an element to this team that it's sorely lacking. Glendening has yet to prove he can even score at the AHL level much less at the NHL level and stop the talk of Glendening being "gritty" or "tough" because he offers the same amount of "toughness" as Patrick Eaves or Drew Miller. Do you think other NHL rosters give two thoughts about Glendening? I can tell you at the AHL level teams know and hate playing against Callahan.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I guess the question I have is what do you want your 4th line and 4th liners to do?

Glendening is a 4th liner type player, playing on the 4th line.

There might be better options next year, but I don't really see a problem with him playing there. We started the year with a 4th line of spare parts, and then we moved in the direction (right direction) of actually playing grinders and guys with a 4th line skill set there. Instead of guys like Samuelsson who are soft and trash, or Cleary who is just a shell of himself and can't skate.

Glendening is right-handed. Skates well. Forechecks like crazy. Agitates. Competes and battles for loose puck. I mean those were all things we wanted on our 4th line at the beginning of the year.

I don't think he's only playing because he's from Michigan. I think he's playing because he has a good skill set for the 4th line, and we wanted to move in the direction of having a real 4th line.

Now I'm not saying necessarily I think he's in the long term plans, I think eventually out prospects coming up will make him expendable to be honest, but I don't mind him playing where he is this year really.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad