Player Discussion Mikael Granlund VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
He is afraid of getting injured. Worst thing that can happen to a player.

the guy is playing the most physical game on the roster. It obviously doesn't do much because of his size, but all the less. He engages and battles more than anyone else. He even hits. Too much for his own good.

I guess its the Wild's system and coaches is what has changed him. He's probably a better overall player due to it, but he's just way too responsible defensively for him to be able to utilise his offensive instincts and tools properly. He's no two-way monster C and never will be.

If you made a graph of him as a hockey player, let's say an octagon, he was a star with a couple of long and sharp points and quite a narrow centre. Some of the points might have even reached out of the chart. Now they've made him just a medium sized octagon. A bit larger in diameter than the star's centre was but any points reminiscent of that star shape have been filed down.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
He did fly into the attacking zone once hard enough for the Bruins announcers to be impressed... and they are some of the most ridiculous homers in the league.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Granlund plays the most physical game on the roster?

or did I misunderstand?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He did fly into the attacking zone once hard enough for the Bruins announcers to be impressed... and they are some of the most ridiculous homers in the league.

No, Jack goes crazy when he sees a great play in his mind, doesn't matter who does it.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
How much Granlund has time left to prove that he can be solid player in NHL.
He's not prospect anymore and this summer is 6 years that when Wild drafted him 1st round.

So next season will be big season for Granny if he makes an impact he has some-kind NHL future.
But if he won't show any progress and development then it's questionable can Granlund ever be more than just solid NHLer.

I know that Wild has had a lot issues with lousy coaching and found right line-mates for Granlund.
But rude fact is that any NHL team can't wait forever when some player finally reach his potential and comes to impact player for his NHL team.

Wild has other winger / center prospects which ones want take for Granlund's spot.
And if / when Granlund can't reach his full potential in NHL there'll be someone else who's ready to replace him and took his spot in Wild's NHL roster.

Last edited:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
How much Granlund has time left to prove that he can be solid player in NHL.
He's not prospect anymore and this summer is 5 years that when Wild drafted him 1st round.

So next season will be big season for Granny if he makes an impact he has some-kind NHL future.
But if he won't show any progress and development then it's questionable can Granlund ever be solid NHLer.

I know that Wild has had a lot issues with lousy coaching and found right line-mates for Granlund.
But rude fact is that any NHL team can't wait forever when some player finally reach his potential and comes to impact player for his NHL team.

Wild has other winger / center prospects which ones want take for Granlund's spot.
And if / when Granlund can't reach his full potential in NHL there'll be someone else who's ready to replace him and took his spot in Wild's NHL roster.

He's already a "solid NHL player", the question is, can he be more than just solid.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
He's already a "solid NHL player", the question is, can he be more than just solid.

I visited Wild's Facebook page and there some Wild fans were ready to kick Granlund out of the team.
That critic was a bit rude and it make me wonder that can he be more than solid NHLer.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I visited Wild's Facebook page and there some Wild fans were ready to kick Granlund out of the team.
That critic was a bit rude and it make me wonder that can he be more than solid NHLer.

He hasn't scored as many goals as one would like from someone who gets prime even strength minutes/linemates (or linemate... since Pomvinville doesn't qualify anymore).

Fans are getting impatient with his lack of development this year.

That doesn't mean he isn't a "solid" NHL player right now... he absolutely is. It just means that he hasn't reached a level the fans had hoped considering the hype. He was supposed to turn into a Star for this team, and that hasn't happened.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010

NHL teams' Facebook pages are always full of.. interesting opinions.

He's a solid NHLer, just not a star.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
If you made a graph of him as a hockey player, let's say an octagon, he was a star with a couple of long and sharp points and quite a narrow centre. Some of the points might have even reached out of the chart. Now they've made him just a medium sized octagon. A bit larger in diameter than the star's centre was but any points reminiscent of that star shape have been filed down.

This is how I feel too. But I do think those spikes are still there; but Yeo would rather see Grana #2.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm tired of all the excuses being made for players. It's a fallacy that they can't perform because they don't have the right linemates, or the right amount of ice time, or they're playing in the wrong position or situation.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I'm tired of all the excuses being made for players. It's a fallacy that they can't perform because they don't have the right linemates, or the right amount of ice time, or they're playing in the wrong position or situation.

Who's making excuses?

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Put him at wing? Less responsibility. One drawback is I think Coyle is also better at wing.

Granlund-Koivu-Nino
Parise-Coyle-Zucker
Vanek-Graovac-Haula
Porter-Carter-Fontaine
Pressbox: Pominville

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
Granlund plays the most physical game on the roster?

or did I misunderstand?

Sure I might be exaggerating just a little just to make a point against bullcrap like 'he's afraid of getting hurt so he can't play'.
Still I could certainly build a case for him. It's about willing to go in face first and engage. It's about hitting and finishing your checks. He very much does all that, he's just not very effective and he ends up on his knees a lot. And that's the problem for him and the team. He should be making plays instead of being down on four by the boards.

There certainly are not many players on the roster you can argue for before him. It's quite surprising and sad if you think about it.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
I just hope that he will start playing the game with his strengths, that is, unless he has already forgotten what his strengths are. I seriously hope that he won't top out as a 40-50 point guy, since I feel that he still has a huge amount of unused potential.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I always thought that he'd have a Giroux-like career in the NHL, as I'd still say that they are equally skilled players. Still, somehow the other guy makes stuff happen and the other mysteriously does not. Somewhere along the way Granlund seems to have forgotten how to play hockey. On international ice he has always been great, but I don't buy it for a minute that it has much to do with the size of the rink. His non-production simply baffles me.

Risingwind

Feb 26, 2015
I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt one more (last) time. Since he's performed pretty well outside of Wild, there's a microscopic chance that Yeo somehow sabotaged his efficiency. I don't really buy that myself, but lets see if they shuffle the lines a bit and get him to work that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad