Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
While i admit all the criticism is valid towards Granlund,
but there have been moments in his NHL career where he has
shown his A game and his A game has been great,awesome even and
clearly shows that he belongs to the NHL and i don't think
no one can question that.

How can anyone forget his 3 straight blocked shots in the dying seconds
of 4 on 6 PK in the play-offs,or that magnificent OT goal,also in a play-off game,
how about that uber nice backhand goal vs Hawks(Crawford),again in the play-offs,
all those tremendous highlight reel passes from anywhere he could think of,
he has shown a physical side too,ask Kesler, anyone?

So, the needed skill,talent,grit,spit (what ever) to be a star NHL:er, it all is there
in that relatively small frame,not really sure what is his issues are,
maybe Yeo type of of hockey just didn't suite his game,so i hope this new change will put him back on the right tracks again.

Last edited:

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Ive always wondered why Mikael Granlund
has never used his "special move" in the NHL.

He said he has practiced his "air hook" thing
since kid and mastered it,so why not use it?
its one hell of a move and practically impossible
for the goalie to save,too scared it won't work and gets ridiculed?

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Granlund's wrister is actually not bad. He doesn't really use it that often for some reason.

Lennu32

Oct 4, 2011
Ive always wondered why Mikael Granlund
has never used his "special move" in the NHL.

He said he has practiced his "air hook" thing
since kid and mastered it,so why not use it?
its one hell of a move and practically impossible
for the goalie to save,too scared it won't work and gets ridiculed?

The hulabaloo what that move created in Finland surely took it's toll on Granlund. I doubt he'll do it again :laugh:

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
The hulabaloo what that move created in Finland surely took it's toll on Granlund. I doubt he'll do it again :laugh:

I think he even said once that he won't try that again. Not 100% sure, but I think he said something like that.

Finnished

Jan 31, 2013
He honestly has less goals in his NHL career than I thought he'd score in a season by now. Unbelievable.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Similar point totals than Donskoi and Filppula. These guys are certainly not top end NHL talent, more like 2nd liners. Maybe Granlund needs a trade to more open team.

Wild certainly needs a better 1C.

Russo is probably right with Granlund's next deal not being an issue for Wild.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
IMO Oilers would laugh and hang up the phone.

Not even close.

Granlund: 55 games, 5 goals, 23 assists = 28 points. On pace for ~42 points (7 goals, 35 assists).

Yakupov: 35 games, 4 goals, 10 assists = 14 points. On pace for ~32 points (9 goals, 23 assists).

Granlund is also a better possession player than Yakupov,

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
One thing to admit Granlund hasn't been near as good we expected, other thing is ..he has ceiling left a lot, there is possibility he can bring his former style of play to NHL level, changes are not huge but time to time we have seen a glimpses from it. Now that table has been cleared, this could be a changing moment. :popcorn:

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
IMO Oilers would laugh and hang up the phone.

Yak is not even a roster player in the wild. Not any better than Fontaine, who has strong 2way game.

Granlund at least can play 2C with some type of success.

If Granlund reurns only Yak without adds, i ll jump from the balcony...

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Just watching any of those clips, its very clear Granlunds biggest weaknesses are not continuing to keep his feet moving at all times, and strength in battling area's. If he could figure these two problems out he has the tools to be a #1c...

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Granlund's wrister is actually not bad. He doesn't really use it that often for some reason.

His wrister is pretty bad. First off, it takes him forever to decide to shoot( it's like it hurts him), then when he decides to shoot his release is slow, and then when he shoots it tends to be right at the goalie's belly button, and at a speed that Suter would scoff at.

Other than that, it's great.

Yak is not something we need to get. Granlund is much more useful. Yak is a project. The problem with him is that he doesn't know how to play any D, and can't really pass, so if he's not scoring...

Personally, I don't think Granlund is going to get much better. He has a lower ceiling than expected when we drafted him.

Last edited:

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
His wrister is pretty bad. First off, it takes him forever to decide to shoot( it's like it hurts him), then when he decides to shoot his release is slow, and then when he shoots it tends to be right at the goalie's belly button, and at a speed that Suter would scoff at.

Other than that, it's great.

Yak is not something we need to get. Granlund is much more useful. Yak is a project. The problem with him is that he doesn't know how to play any D, and can't really pass, so if he's not scoring...

Personally, I don't think Granlund is going to get much better. He has a lower ceiling than expected when we drafted him.

It does get a while to set up, but once he releases it it's pretty fast. It's not the best on the team, but it's not as bad as his slap shot.

I'm curious, why do you think Granlund isn't going to get much better? This is his worst season so far when the whole team, including two of his linemates, are in the middle of terrible slumps themselves?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
It does get a while to set up, but once he releases it it's pretty fast. It's not the best on the team, but it's not as bad as his slap shot.

I'm curious, why do you think Granlund isn't going to get much better? This is his worst season so far when the whole team, including two of his linemates, are in the middle of terrible slumps themselves?

I don't think this is his worst season, but a season much like his others. He has been given plenty of first line and first linePP opportunities, which actually pump up his stats.

I think he is limited athletically. He is not strong or fast enough to be a good player in the NHL. He has plenty of skill, but we often forget that the separator between the major and minor leagues in any sport is that of strength, speed, and size. If you are lacking in all three, as is Granlund, you better have insane vision,skills, IQ, and shot to make up for it. Bruce has very good vision, very good puckhandling skills, very good IQ, and a poor shot.

Look at Schroeder. Superb speed, decent skills, decent shot, but just not strong enough to effect the game at the NHL level. He is a really good AHL'er.

Bulmer had size and strength, but no speed, poor skills and IQ.

Haula has superb speed, decent skills, so-so shot( but better than Granny's), so-so strength( better than Granny's), decent IQ/ vision, better FO skills than Granlund. He is a 3/4 liner, with a slight possibility of being a fringe second liner.

All of Granlund's considerable skill doesn't help him much if the opponent just takes his body or angles him into the boards( easier on the smaller ice surface), or if he is caught from behind on a rush, or if he simply bounces off someone when he attempts to take them out physically.

Not saying he is a bad player. Just not equipped to be a first liner, and a mediocre second liner at best. I don't see him getting faster, or much stronger. I could be wrong on the strength issue... Spurgeon has gotten stronger, but I also think Spurgeon figured out how to use his small body effectively in the NHL. Granlund certainly isn't going to grow any. We were told he was working on his shot this summer. If I was him, I'd ask for my money back from his shooting coach.

I've seen little to no improvement in Granlund's play since he came into the NHL. Maybe he's a touch faster, maybe a touch stronger, but it's barely noticeable, to me.

Last edited:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
No, this is clearly Granlund's worst season this far. We have seen him play dominant hockey for stretches in the past...not so this year.

He's always been a 50+ point pace player...not so this year.

He will improve as a player.

I still think it would be a mistake to give up on the kid considering Koivu's age. Easier to replace 1 center than 2... Koivu's not getting younger, he won't play forever.

WildRube09

Mar 5, 2013
Granlund has shown moments where you think he's going to be the player the fans expected him to be. I'd love to see the reign's loosened on the team and see what the guys have.

Was his lack of scoring (mainly Goals) a product of Yeo's system? Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad