Player Discussion Mikael Granlund VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
What do we mean by reins loosened? Say that forwards don't have to worry about coming back on D. Start having them float up around the other team's blue line?

What I want to see is players in front of the other teams net. I want to see deflections. Our D get plenty of shots. I'm tired of seeing all three of our forwards outside of the slot when we have the puck in the other team's zone. Cycling works once in a while, but not every bloody shift. All this work down below the red line that we do... I mean, it's possible to score from behind the net( hey we have Mr. Lacrosse Goal), but highly unlikely. I want Nino, Chahlie, MK, Parise, Vanek, Carter, Porter all crashing the net.

I want Vanek fined( it can be a fun thing) every time he passes when he has an open shot, and Zucker every time he misses the net. I want Nino to draw one penalty every game because he is so bloody annoying, and Coyle to destroy one person every game. Haula or Zucker must get at least one breakaway every game between the two of them.

Suter needs a cap of 25 minutes per game. Brodin, when he comes back, must have at least one rush per game. Our goalies need to be fined every time they give away the puck to the other team when they are shooting it.

I don't care if Vanek isn't the best defensive player, or the hardest practicer. I DO care if he doesn't shoot the damn puck. We didn't get him here so he could make creative passes and MiG imitations. This isn't figure skating - there are no extra marks for creativity. We got him here to be a goal scorer. He can't score if he doesn't shoot.

I sincerely hope Prosser doesn't see the ice again. Folin has looked bad at times, but I think he has some upside with that shot of his and his physicality. Reilly's upside is obvious. I'm guessing Ololsson won't be a factor till next year. Prosser tries. He just isn't any good.

Sitting Pominville would send a strong message to this team. I don't know if he is capable of playing better at this point, so I don't know if he would be motivated by said benching.

I don't know what to do about Granlund. He tries hard, I think....sometimes I think he tries to do too much.

WildRube09

Mar 5, 2013
What do we mean by reins loosened? Say that forwards don't have to worry about coming back on D. Start having them float up around the other team's blue line?

What I want to see is players in front of the other teams net. I want to see deflections. Our D get plenty of shots. I'm tired of seeing all three of our forwards outside of the slot when we have the puck in the other team's zone. Cycling works once in a while, but not every bloody shift. All this work down below the red line that we do... I mean, it's possible to score from behind the net( hey we have Mr. Lacrosse Goal), but highly unlikely. I want Nino, Chahlie, MK, Parise, Vanek, Carter, Porter all crashing the net.

I want Vanek fined( it can be a fun thing) every time he passes when he has an open shot, and Zucker every time he misses the net. I want Nino to draw one penalty every game because he is so bloody annoying, and Coyle to destroy one person every game. Haula or Zucker must get at least one breakaway every game between the two of them.

Suter needs a cap of 25 minutes per game. Brodin, when he comes back, must have at least one rush per game. Our goalies need to be fined every time they give away the puck to the other team when they are shooting it.

I don't care if Vanek isn't the best defensive player, or the hardest practicer. I DO care if he doesn't shoot the damn puck. We didn't get him here so he could make creative passes and MiG imitations. This isn't figure skating - there are no extra marks for creativity. We got him here to be a goal scorer. He can't score if he doesn't shoot.

I sincerely hope Prosser doesn't see the ice again. Folin has looked bad at times, but I think he has some upside with that shot of his and his physicality. Reilly's upside is obvious. I'm guessing Ololsson won't be a factor till next year. Prosser tries. He just isn't any good.

Sitting Pominville would send a strong message to this team. I don't know if he is capable of playing better at this point, so I don't know if he would be motivated by said benching.

I don't know what to do about Granlund. He tries hard, I think....sometimes I think he tries to do too much.

When I say "loosen the reigns" I am referring to letting the players have a little more offensive freedom (At the same time they need to be responsible on the D end. ) - let them be creative in the neutral / offensive zone instead up having lines 1-4 all play the same dump, chase, grind style hockey. Last night I didnt think there was as much grinding as fans have seen in past 4 or so weeks. Look at the score sheet, see who was on there, and also see who had solid games... A lot of the guys who the team / fans thought needed to step up this year for the Wild to make a run.. ( Fonzie, Haula, Nino, Granny, etc). I know its only one game under the FNG, but it was nice to see a little more of a free flowing offensive game, yet sound on the D end as well.

And i pretty much agree with your entire take - other than I dont know who you can put in place of 29 if you sit him. I also think Granlund might start to heat up in the next few games

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Fontaine in place of 29. Porter back on the fourth. He's fine there. Maybe Graovac can get a look, or Downing. Torchetti will have a better read on the AHL players than anyone.

WildRube09

Mar 5, 2013
Fontaine in place of 29. Porter back on the fourth. He's fine there. Maybe Graovac can get a look, or Downing. Torchetti will have a better read on the AHL players than anyone.

Not bad idea.. what's up with Keranen?? he looked decent in the pre-season with the big club -- is he in the dog house or just isn't that good?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
No idea. All I can do is spout point totals. Mitchell is leading the scoring, Downing and Scroeder close seconds, but in far fewer games. Downing is 14g, 16a in 34 games. That's good, but like I said, Torchetti will have a better idea than anyone about their games.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I thought Granlund looked really good last night. Might be just placebo effect but it seemed like he was shooting and making moves towards the net more. Hopefully he can keep last night's level of play up.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
I thought Granlund looked really good last night. Might be just placebo effect but it seemed like he was shooting and making moves towards the net more. Hopefully he can keep last night's level of play up.

Yeah, I'm fairly interested in how he responds to Torch behind the bench for the rest of the season.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
Did Yeo ever play Granlund on the wing this and last season? If he did, did it boost his offensive generation atleast seemingly? (Though he must have played with Coyle then rather than Pominville)

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Did Yeo ever play Granlund on the wing this and last season? If he did, did it boost his offensive generation atleast seemingly? (Though he must have played with Coyle then rather than Pominville)

I don't recall him ever playing the wing in the past couple of years.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Very interesting next 5-10 games for granlund.

1) No Parise.

2) New coach.

We can see whether he is a player or not.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Seems like Torch is sending a message to Granny, Vanek and Zucker. You wanted more O minded mates, you want to score and play pretty. Show me, or i ll show you where to sit.

Looked good in first game. Timing off. Hope they look better tonight. The goals will come. Lets hope in bunches.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Seems like Torch is sending a message to Granny, Vanek and Zucker. You wanted more O minded mates, you want to score and play pretty. Show me, or i ll show you where to sit.

Looked good in first game. Timing off. Hope they look better tonight. The goals will come. Lets hope in bunches.

Link?

Jarick

Doing Nothing

It's been in pretty much every story, but:

http://www.startribune.com/john-torchetti-era-begins-tonight-for-the-wild/368872701/

“I think we’re all excited,†Torchetti said. “It’s a new beginning. Everyone’s got a clean slate. We’re going to push each other moving forward.â€

On the lines, he said it’s day by day, but “You’ve got to earn your ice, you’ve got to earn your spots.â€

I thought Granlund, like Parise and Zucker, was noticeably better last game compared with the last couple months. If he can bring that effort on a nightly basis, he'll have a good chance to remain a top six center in the league.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
He certainly could have had a couple tap-ins/deflections near the net. I think Coyle set him up really well for a quick tap in but he just missed it.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
He certainly could have had a couple tap-ins/deflections near the net. I think Coyle set him up really well for a quick tap in but he just missed it.

He is strangling the stick right now. Loosen that grip and take a breathe. Player look robotic when they struggle. Predicable and tight.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
I think it is more about generating the favorable matchups than "sending messages".

Zucker-Granlund-Vanek versus any 3rd D pair in the league? Think about it.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Cant understand why cause his offense could be utilized more in that case maybe w defensive center Koivu and top winger Parise... That'd be a line!

They have done that a number of times on some games in the 3rd period if Wild is losing. Granlund and Koivu are the only top6 centers at the moment so can't put him on wing.

Jarey Curry

Avalanche of Makar
May 2, 2015
Finland
They have done that a number of times on some games in the 3rd period if Wild is losing. Granlund and Koivu are the only top6 centers at the moment so can't put him on wing.

What about Coyle? If he could prove to be top6 material Granlund could be playing even more c/rw style, it's such a shame to see how good he has been in Leijonat when he plays wing but doesn't have a big breakthrough in the nhl

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
What about Coyle? If he could prove to be top6 material Granlund could be playing even more c/rw style, it's such a shame to see how good he has been in Leijonat when he plays wing but doesn't have a big breakthrough in the nhl

Coyle has never been top6 center. He's better on the wing.

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
Not very good game tonight.

It was a mess. A messy win, we'll take it. Have had our shares of pretty losses.

E: oh, this was the Granny thread. I mean the whole team play was a mess.

Finnished

Jan 31, 2013
I could bet 50 euros for Haula ending up better in the NHL than Granlund. Granlund has been avoiding the goal scoring zones after the numerous concussions and he is still a lot slower than Haula. Just prediction :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->