Player Discussion Mikael Granlund VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
But man... I just dont see the magic nor any ALL STAR abilities that was promised.

That was Russo's other comment... that the Wild management overhyped him to the fans before he came to North America and he wasn't able to fill those shoes that were probably too large for most players.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
That was Russo's other comment... that the Wild management overhyped him to the fans before he came to North America and he wasn't able to fill those shoes that were probably too large for most players.

Didn't this board Hype him before the Wild did? He just hasn't panned out, happens to a lot of draft picks who have flash in their game but never elevate it to NHL.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Yeah. We did it too. He was really great here as a kid though. But could've stayed calmer for sure.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
he was also hyped by people outside the wild org as being the best nhl prospect not in the nhl. most of us were amped up over what he may be able to do in a wild uniform. the least i was expecting was 20G - 30A similar to pmb's prime.

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
I just think it's too early to be really disappointed in him. I mean he was fine for two seasons, on pace for about 50 points.

He's only 23 after all. I'd like to see what he can do with a different coach.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i know hes 23 however its his 4th nhl season. if it was his 1st or 2nd i'd give him a break. ps hes not injured & im not seeing increased production year over year.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
I just think it's too early to be really disappointed in him. I mean he was fine for two seasons, on pace for about 50 points.

He's only 23 after all. I'd like to see what he can do with a different coach.

I've been thinking about this a lot too. Maybe it's Yeos system and he flourishes under a different coach. Maybe it's maybelline.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He's still 6th in points on this team.. Ahead of Nino, Zucker, Pominville and one point behind Coyle.

Yes, I know he has only four goals, but he's still a good playmaker.

But he's spent a lot of time on the PP, and almost all ES TOI top 6 players, and usually with our best forward. He is a good playmaker, and good on PP zone entries. His goal scoring/shot is embarrassing, however. Mediocre AHL quality.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
he was also hyped by people outside the wild org as being the best nhl prospect not in the nhl. most of us were amped up over what he may be able to do in a wild uniform. the least i was expecting was 20G - 30A similar to pmb's prime.
Yeah, Russo's "putting it back on the Wild" regarding "over-hyping" of the kids, namely Granlund is pretty ridiculous.

Wild did what any franchise would do in the history of the World. Real Madrid, Man United, PSG, Arsenal, etc. all pump 14, 15, 16 year-olds that they sign to their soccer academies.

I will say that Granlund's skating bothers me. He's just not quick or shifty enough to do much damage. But everybody has been aware of that issue since he was drafted.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
He was a top 10 pick that was setting scoring records in a good adult professional league.

Of course he was hyped. Management had very little to do with it.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
i know hes 23 however its his 4th nhl season. if it was his 1st or 2nd i'd give him a break. ps hes not injured & im not seeing increased production year over year.

Same exact thing can be said for RNH, yet Oilers insist he'll be an elite 1C and Wild fans are chomping at the bit to trade for him.

I understand RNH has put up better numbers, but he still hasn't improved, ever.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
If there was ever a player we "gave up" on too early that we are considering trading now, Granlund will be it. Hes just going to take longer, but i know he will be good and will make us regret it.

not that i haven't considered trading him myself, but the situation seems all too realistic.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If there was ever a player we "gave up" on too early that we are considering trading now, Granlund will be it. Hes just going to take longer, but i know he will be good and will make us regret it.

not that i haven't considered trading him myself, but the situation seems all too realistic.

I know we've talked about moving Granlund on here, but I don't think Fletcher really sees that as an option unless we get an upgrade back in that deal.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Well, it was a no-brainer indeed that Granny had serious issues in his mobility when drafted. And it was a no-brainer that Kuznetsov looked like the real deal already then. But it is what it is. #Justsaying

Granny is good though in a big rink. Maybe he will still improve though. Ceteris paribus. And 0.5 ppg is not that bad in the best league in the world. Do it by yourself first. :D

Lennu32

Oct 4, 2011
But he's spent a lot of time on the PP, and almost all ES TOI top 6 players, and usually with our best forward. He is a good playmaker, and good on PP zone entries. His goal scoring/shot is embarrassing, however. Mediocre AHL quality.

He's also spent a lot of time on the wrong side of PP. And barely anyone moves - to whom he's supposed to deliver passes?

That being said, it sure has been horrible season from him so far.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
I'm sure a lot of you noticed a different, faster, more feisty Granlund in the 3rd vs. Dallas. Where has that guy been all year?

He needs to drink coffee between periods like Walz.

He also needs to work on releasing his shot quicker. He got into some prime spots, but took too long and had his shots blocked.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm sure a lot of you noticed a different, faster, more feisty Granlund in the 3rd vs. Dallas. Where has that guy been all year?

He needs to drink coffee between periods like Walz.

He also needs to work on releasing his shot quicker. He got into some prime spots, but took too long and had his shots blocked.

But he said he worked on his shot in Finland last summer with some shooting guru! The guy has an embarrassing shot... It is not NHL top6 level...not even close. Granlund is supposed to be an offensive C, not a grinder bottom sixer. He doesn't have the frame for it.

murdoq

Nov 7, 2009
probably just coinicdence but 1st shift with vanek on his unit since parise's injury -> goal.
but let's play him with lesser players. that will help him and the team how exactly?

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011

I don't think Wild management hyped him... EVERYBODY had him ranked as the NHL's #1 prospect at some point. McKenzie, and McGuire raved about him.

During the draft, McKenzie points out that scouts had Granlund pegged as the smartest player in the draft, and best playmaker - ahead of Tyler Seguin.

Alexandrov

Dec 5, 2011
Remember back in the days when opposing fans would say they were very impressed how Granlund was willing to drive to the net? When was the last time you've seen that happen?

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Remember back in the days when opposing fans would say they were very impressed how Granlund was willing to drive to the net? When was the last time you've seen that happen?

When is the last time you have seen that in the NHL? It is not the juniors.

Zucker has maybe one in 4 games. Coyle is the only player in the team that can do it consistently.

Koivu, Vanek, Parise, Pommer, Nino... Nope.

Every D in our team (except Dumba) has a ridiculous poke check. Selanne used to hold the D stick with his off hand. Coyle protects with outstretched knee and massive size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad