Prospect Info: Mikael "FBJ" Granlund VI (Turning saucer passes into wine)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
The biggest concern for Granlund is the Bouchard effect.

Granlund has a bit more size to him than Bouchard but Bouchard was a better skater than Granlund.

Not at first though. If I recall correctly, Bouchard wasn't considered a great skater when he was drafted.

Billy Mays Here*

I should really stop reading this thread.

Give the kid another year or two before you even start to think about calling him a bust. Assuming we re-sign Cullen, we won't be in desperate need of his services next season anyway. I'm all for having him play the entire year getting first line minutes in Des Moines (or do we just call them Iowa?).

WildFinn*

I've been thinking on a little bit of different line of thinking, assuming Cullen is back.

Parise-Granlund-Pominville
Zucker-Koivu-Coyle
Seto-Cullen-Clutterbuck/Mitchell
Rupp-Brodziak-Mitchell/Clutterbuck

Pairing Granlund with two vets that can score and are very solid in all three zones should sufficiently protect his liabilities. Allow Granlund to do what he does best, and concentrate on distributing the puck.

Second line has a little bit of everything with Zucker's speed and knack for goal scoring(aka Parise lite), and Koivu and Coyle's board play this could be a very frustrating line to play against.

Third line is pretty much self explanatory, Seto is lost without Cullen, also allows us to push Brodziak to the 4th line and Kenopka to the press box where he belongs. That lineup should be able to roll 4 lines rather consistently without any huge liabilities.

Granlund doe not lack skill, he lacks speed and power and he needs those both to play center.

Im going on belief that he will show up in even better shape after summer.
Then he can be of much use playing wing but only a miracle would make him ready to center.

He distributes the puck well from the wing and he can also score, he has played well in that place allways.

This fixsation for him to center is a Wild thing. :laugh:

Some say he cant handle the boards, checking and hitting in the wing.
That is true if you have to play like a Yeo grinder clone.
But how would he make it as a center??
I want a center winning those battles if he commits, wings not so critical.

But he can do well already in the wing, he needs some speed and the skill will win most puck battles.

Im noticing he uses more hits to get people of the puck than use his stick, i really wonder who learned him that. :shakehead

He sits in his ass and plays himself out.

Im concerned Yeo does not like players who are not physically dominant, maybe some latent hate for skill.

Coyle is dominant and i also like him for that, he could make a #2C with quality wingers, he has all the tools now in place.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Im noticing he uses more hits to get people of the puck than use his stick, i really wonder who learned him that. :shakehead

That's NHL hockey. Granlund needs to adjust to North American rinks and their lack of space.

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
That's NHL hockey. Granlund needs to adjust to North American rinks and their lack of space.

Yeah, that stealing pucks with your stick kinda thing doesn't really work in the North America. That's why Datsyuk has already left the continent and plays in the KHL...

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Did anyone else notice the same in the WC that when somebody came and started pushing Granlund, he responded immediately? He didn't do that before.

I mean he was a lot more aggressive than he was before.

WildFinn*

Did anyone else notice the same in the WC that when somebody came and started pushing Granlund, he responded immediately? He didn't do that before.

Yes, im talking about that.

Funny doing it with big defenders, im not sure if he has to start fighting next.

He might be a good 4th liner if he improves in it.:sarcasm:

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Yeah, that stealing pucks with your stick kinda thing doesn't really work in the North America. That's why Datsyuk has already left the continent and plays in the KHL...

Where did I imply stick checks don't work in North American hockey? I said North American hockey is more physical; hence, Granlund is using his body more than his stick.

Im not talking about that, many skilled players dont hit much at all.

True, but skilled players coming from Europe are sometimes forced to become more physical due to the nature of North American hockey. I'd say Granlund needs to rely more on his skill than physicality; especially since he's not a large player.

WildFinn*

True, but skilled players coming from Europe are sometimes forced to become more physical due to the nature of North American hockey. I'd say Granlund needs to rely more on his skill than physicality; especially since he's not a large player.

And i ment just that he is over doing it, that has come from somewhere.

I hinted it could be Yeo, im not sure he knows how to develop skilled types.
He does well with more physical Coyle and Zucker but they also had to conform or sit.

Im worried about Phillips also, will Dumba get to play his explosive game, both have been ordered to step up the defensive side.

Yeo could be leaving a trail of tears.

Hope this is just my imagination but i want to see offensive talent nurtured and let loose.

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
http://www.iltalehti.fi/mmjaakiekko2013/2013052117043125_jc.shtml

In this Iltalehti-story Granlund says "I'm just not good enough yet" when asked about the lack of success in the NHL this season.

"I have to improve and play better. Be a tougher player."

"This is going to be a big summer for me personally. I know what I have to do and there are areas I need to improve. A lot of them."

Article says he's already got more power and improved his skating but not enough.

"I have trained hard before, now I need to exercise even harder than before. Big summer coming."
More in-depth story from last week: http://yle.fi/urheilu/granlundilla_vaikea_nhl-kausi_-_tiesin_ettei_tasta_tule_helppoa/6639138

Translated:
"It was a new experience. Lots of new things. It was pretty hard at times when I didn't know where I'm going to play. I learned a lot of new big things, and for sure it is going to be easier next year to go there. Game is so different there. What you do here [in Europe] is simply not enough there."

"Game-wise there are a lot of things. Much less space, and you have to make space for yourself. NHL is the best league in the world, and there are lots of really good players. You have to play a bit differently there. Lots of new things still to learn and next summer I know what things to improve."

(About AHL) "Of course I would have liked to stay in Wild lineup, no question about that. And I want to play there in the future. I knew it wasn't going to be an easy season. Lots of new things, but for sure I can prepare for them next season. I didn't quite expect the game to be so different."

(about NHL-AHL-NHL-AHL...) "For sure it was not the easiest situation. Every player knows that if for example lines change all the time and so on, it's not the easiest situation. I just tried to be prepared for the next game. There's no other possibility than to just take it one day at the time."

"Lots of things to improve. There are a lot of physically strong players and battling with the puck is a big thing. I just need to more prepared for that.

(about how playing center differs from Europe) "It's more about going offensive all the time, here [in Europe] a center can come and get the puck from D zone more often and so on. Lots of different things. Of course defensively it is really different too."

Last edited:

Ladde

Apr 28, 2012
Granlund had a good game againts USA because he was agressive and drove to the net.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I still wouldn't consider Bouchard a great skater. Average, maybe slightly above. Speed is unremarkable and doesn't have great agility.

He's still a better skater than Granlund was. Bouchard was a water bug at one time. Concussions kind of took that out of him.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I've been disappointed in Granlund so far, but it's way too early to give up on him. Lafleur wasn't all that great in his first couple seasons, and he was WAY more hyped than Granlund. He turned out OK.

Really, as I look,back on it, our perception of Granlund suffered because he was compared, consciously or not, to Brodin. No one expected him to be the clear second best D man on the team before the season started, and I would bet many thought he'd spend most of his time down in Houston. Coyle and Zucker had the advantage of playing in North America and having a better idea of what they would be up against. I'm hoping that Haula will benefit in that regard also. If he is strong enough, he should be able to help the Wild a bit next year.

I'm not sure that Granlund will be all that, but at least he's young with a chance to grow a bit, seems to have a good attitude and work ethic, and has a good pair of hands.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
While discussing Granlund, we should also keep in mind that he was improving at a pretty good rate while playing with the Wild. It's not his fault Yeo kept throwing him in situations where there was no way in hell he would succeed; fourth line checking, really?:help:

Granlund is not a dump and chaser. Sometimes, sure, but not consistently. The kid needs to be in the top 6, and he needs to play with puck control, THAT'S WHAT HE ****ING DOES!!!!!

If we're going to maintain this Pejorative Slured, blind dump and chase no matter the situation, we need to trade him. Based on Fletch drafting this kid though, I don't think the intent was to go blind dump and chase.

WildFinn*

While discussing Granlund, we should also keep in mind that he was improving at a pretty good rate while playing with the Wild. It's not his fault Yeo kept throwing him in situations where there was no way in hell he would succeed; fourth line checking, really?:help:

Granlund is not a dump and chaser. Sometimes, sure, but not consistently. The kid needs to be in the top 6, and he needs to play with puck control, THAT'S WHAT HE ****ING DOES!!!!!

If we're going to maintain this Pejorative Slured, blind dump and chase no matter the situation, we need to trade him. Based on Fletch drafting this kid though, I don't think the intent was to go blind dump and chase.

I agree in everything you say.

I realised what Yeo was about from his comments sending Granlund and Zucker down, it was more than normal wake up. He was more harsh in his comments than you would expect with two kids that have good work ethic and no attitude problems. He does not understand offensive players.

Last edited by a moderator:

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.

What I'm hoping is that Fletcher at least lets Yeo know that he has to allow some puck possession type hockey into his game plan, especially in the top 6, because that seems like the kind of player that Fletcher has been going after.

And I am quite secure in my ideas that if he does not improve drastically as a coach, he is gone part way through next season. He has misused so many of the Wild's resources.

loudis

Dec 21, 2012
Finland

At WHC i saw him finishing couple nice hits too

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
What I'm hoping is that Fletcher at least lets Yeo know that he has to allow some puck possession type hockey into his game plan, especially in the top 6, because that seems like the kind of player that Fletcher has been going after.

It's strange that Fletcher has picked these types of players but not the players Yeo needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad