Prospect Info: Mikael "FBJ" Granlund VI (Turning saucer passes into wine)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJ Thelen

Nov 19, 2010
Pontypandy
It's strange that Fletcher has picked these types of players but not the players Yeo needs.

Well.. I actually think that GMCF is a little suprised by Yeo's lack of tactial knowlege.. Its not like he knew that Yeo was all about dump and ****ing chase, even if your players isnt fit for that kind of style..

And Granlund was drafted when TR was coach..

WildFinn*

Well.. I actually think that GMCF is a little suprised by Yeo's lack of tactial knowlege.. Its not like he knew that Yeo was all about dump and ****ing chase, even if your players isnt fit for that kind of style..

Drafting is a long term thing, the GM decides what type of team he wants in the long run. He also picks the coaches that fit that team, they dont change the players every time a new coach comes in.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah :\ but he should have seen what was going on in Pittsburgh.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
Granlund's interview from this Wednesday. His comments translated:

(intro of how Granlund had difficulties this season and got demoted to AHL)

"What's the problem, Mikael Granlund?
- I was given a brilliant opportunity but couldn't use it. Ten first games were really difficult. I noticed that goddamnit, this is a tough league. NHL is where the world's best players play. The level achieved in Europe is simply not enough.

- My game improved after the start but I didn't get much responsibility anymore. Short season also became a factor.

How tough was it for you when you got demoted to AHL? Were you kicking trashcans?

- Not really, but of course I was upset. Everyone wants to play at the top, but of course it's better to go to AHL than sit in the pressbox. You must remember that AHL is a really tough league too.

What do you need to improve?

- I must be able to make quicker decisions in the rink. In Europe you have time to hold on to the puck, but in NHL you have two guys immediately on your back. I must not lose the strengths of my own game though. I hold on to the puck a lot. I must find myself space in the rink. Also I need more strength for one-on-one battles, and improve my skating to a level where I can go 45 seconds end to end.

How do you achieve that?

- I have changed my training for this summer. I work really hard. It's really important to control your whole body, for example. It's of no use to pump up your bicep at the gym as much as you want, you need your whole body in battle situations.

In North America competition is extremely hard. Did it come as a surprise?

- It didn't come as a surprise. I'm pretty competitive myself. But it's clear it's not the same in Finland. In North America already 5-year-olds compete against each other. And the best work even harder, because you have so many guys knocking on the door behind you. In Finland players have it a bit too easy."

Kid is analytical and has a good attitude. I have faith this year we'll see an improved and hungry MG64 in the Wild sweater.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I like that he recognized he needs to improve skating and changed his fitness routine. Also like that he took the blame and responsibility and didn't put it on anyone else. Really hopeful he puts it together.

Thanks for the translation!

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
Yeah his attitude is great in that interview, love how he knows what he needs to work and and does it. Lets hope he comes into camp and surprises us by playing center.

Zucker-Mig-Coyle would be fun to watch blossom.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
With Culllen and Bouchard gone it is quite clear he will get another great shot next season :yo:

And don't talk about "good" attitude. Anyone who knows anything about him knows that he has a GREAT attitude.

TheSauceBoss

May 14, 2010
My dad's first words after telling him Cullen wasn't going to be re-signed were "Granlund's going to have a big year." And Cullen was one of his favorite Wild players. Can't wait to forward him that interview.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
If you consistently built a team with backup plans the young kids would never get a chance to play. It's sink or swim.

No, but if you put the kids in a position to fail, it's not good for their development. We were lucky to have Cullen still on the roster last year because if we didn't and Granlund continued to struggle, that was bad.

I think Granlund definitely needs another season in the AHL and Coyle should stay at wing. Move Poms to center?

WildFinn*

Being ready for wing is good, ready to center would be amazing.

I would be open to moving him as part of a trade for a proven 2C if there is no clear jump forward soon.

Wait for the camp and see where they are.

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
Granlund should definitely be played in the wing. He can't center at NHL level and probably never will.

Billy Mays Here*

Oh Granlund, we needed you to be our savior last year but you were just a false prophet. Now we need you more than ever. Answer our prayers oh great Finnish baby Jesus!!!

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
1zehabq.jpg

Teddy10Beers

Dec 31, 2011
Minnesota
Granlund's interview from this Wednesday. His comments translated:

(intro of how Granlund had difficulties this season and got demoted to AHL)

"What's the problem, Mikael Granlund?
- I was given a brilliant opportunity but couldn't use it. Ten first games were really difficult. I noticed that goddamnit, this is a tough league. NHL is where the world's best players play. The level achieved in Europe is simply not enough.

- My game improved after the start but I didn't get much responsibility anymore. Short season also became a factor.

How tough was it for you when you got demoted to AHL? Were you kicking trashcans?

- Not really, but of course I was upset. Everyone wants to play at the top, but of course it's better to go to AHL than sit in the pressbox. You must remember that AHL is a really tough league too.

What do you need to improve?

- I must be able to make quicker decisions in the rink. In Europe you have time to hold on to the puck, but in NHL you have two guys immediately on your back. I must not lose the strengths of my own game though. I hold on to the puck a lot. I must find myself space in the rink. Also I need more strength for one-on-one battles, and improve my skating to a level where I can go 45 seconds end to end.

How do you achieve that?

- I have changed my training for this summer. I work really hard. It's really important to control your whole body, for example. It's of no use to pump up your bicep at the gym as much as you want, you need your whole body in battle situations.

In North America competition is extremely hard. Did it come as a surprise?

- It didn't come as a surprise. I'm pretty competitive myself. But it's clear it's not the same in Finland. In North America already 5-year-olds compete against each other. And the best work even harder, because you have so many guys knocking on the door behind you. In Finland players have it a bit too easy."

Kid is analytical and has a good attitude. I have faith this year we'll see an improved and hungry MG64 in the Wild sweater.

A very enlightening interview. Encouraging to see that Granlund has the right attitude and approach (assuming his answers are sincere and not just spin for media consumption). Very humble and willing to accept that he needs to improve his game. No sour grapes at all. Really, it's impressive considering how much media attention he received in Finland and the natural effects that has on one's ego.

Juxtapose the way Grandlund has dealt with the adversity/frustration of not meeting high expectations (warranted or not) of his first exposure to the NHL with that of El Nino. Nino's reaction was the polar opposite: It's not me it's all on the Islanders. I'm a #5 overall draft pick; how dare you send back to the minors. I demand a trade.

I just never like the idea of a 20 year old player who has yet to prove he belongs in the NHL by demanding to be traded and doing it through the media no less. It wrecks of a sense of entitlement (in this case based on where he was drafted) and a me-first attitude.

When Nick Palmieri pulled a similar (not the same, but very similar) stunt with the Wild he was roundly castigated as a head case and prima dona by Wild fans (me included). He deserved that reaction. Same thing with Zidlicky. When Nino does it the reaction by Wild fans was ... it was all on the Islanders organization and Nino was as pure as the driven snow. Geeeee ... I wonder if there's any homerism at play?

Translation: when a player on a team you root for demands a trade he is automatically considered a bum. When a player on another team demands a trade and your team trades for him ... well ... all sorts of extenuating circumstances are invoked to justify a double standard.

PariseSuterKoivu

Jul 9, 2012
Most, maybe not all guys would have had major problems if they were handled like Nino was with the NYI's. And Nino and his agent could've handled it better. But I don't think Nino is a prima donna. Isles were really stupid and cheap and paid the price. Elite talents like him don't grow on trees. You have to take the bad with the good on these guys sometimes.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
Juxtapose the way Grandlund has dealt with the adversity/frustration of not meeting high expectations (warranted or not) of his first exposure to the NHL with that of El Nino. Nino's reaction was the polar opposite: It's not me it's all on the Islanders. I'm a #5 overall draft pick; how dare you send back to the minors. I demand a trade.

Not even close. First of all, can't spell Granlund. Second, Nino put up a PPG during the AHL lockout against tough competition then wasn't even INVITED TO CAMP. Not being sent back to the minors. I think you need a little more information on the situation before you try to provide your own uneducated insight.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Oh Granlund, we needed you to be our savior last year but you were just a false prophet. Now we need you more than ever. Answer our prayers oh great Finnish baby Jesus!!!

Us Finns also need him to save us from having to see yet another 40-year-old player in Sochi. God knows that team's going to have enough of them even if Granlund makes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad