Value of: Mika Zibanejad

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ
Zibanejad is untouchable for the Rangers. /thread
This isn't true. I love Zib and glad to see his play (and luck) is finally turning. His production earlier this season wasn't really matching up with his level of play, and I think it had an impact on his confidence and lead him to fall down the slump a little further.

Anyway, to address your post...Zibanejad isn't untouchable by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, I think he's a prime asset to be traded this summer because the Rangers will likely be able to set their price if they retain 50%. Most, if not all contenders will be knocking down the door to add a player like him for a full season at sub-$3M cap hit.

And from the Rangers perspective, Mika just doesn't fit their window and future cap considerations. He's going to be a UFA at 29 and will likely ask for $8+ mil on a long-term contract. That's just not something the Rangers can afford to do with guys like Panarin, Kreider, and Trouba locked up and a bunch of younger talent coming off ELCs in the next few years.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
This isn't true. I love Zib and glad to see his play (and luck) is finally turning. His production earlier this season wasn't really matching up with his level of play, and I think it had an impact on his confidence and lead him to fall down the slump a little further.

Anyway, to address your post...Zibanejad isn't untouchable by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, I think he's a prime asset to be traded this summer because the Rangers will likely be able to set their price if they retain 50%. Most, if not all contenders will be knocking down the door to add a player like him for a full season at sub-$3M cap hit.

And from the Rangers perspective, Mika just doesn't fit their window and future cap considerations. He's going to be a UFA at 29 and will likely ask for $8+ mil on a long-term contract. That's just not something the Rangers can afford to do with guys like Panarin, Kreider, and Trouba locked up and a bunch of younger talent coming off ELCs in the next few years.
The Rangers would trade Kreider before Zibanejad, get real. Kreider isn't getting any younger, he's a winger and he'll probably age badly, just like every other physical FWD does.

Zibanejad is a perfect fit for us. We need to add a young, long-term C and keep Zibanejad.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
With one key exception, everything you wrote here is spot on.

I believe when discussing this I noted that you go w/Dahlin/Byram b'c
1) you are paying for and acquiring cost control [elc->rfa/elc] level asset which is huge, and, no less important...
2) that player is a storehouse of value enabling options later.

So in a scenario where Lindy is solid high to Sabes, K'A M is a lock, w/emerging Hajek likely. Reunanen is also good, w/others knocking on the door.
Depending on who matures at what value, you trade one of the others bes. KAM and keep Dahlin/Byram, OR as is more likely, you flip Dahlin/Byram.

This is pertinent to your concerns b'c Dahlin/Byram would fetch HUMONGOUS return incl stud pivot prospect.
Not saying we or they go there, but in theory Dahlin/Byram is kind of asset that returns a Byfield, for example -- likely +s either side.

Or it can fetch a Newhook w/signif +++s

Or, I expect Barkov to stay in FL, but there is a chance he may tell them early he wants out. If that is the case, we can wait and take our chances when Barkov hits ufa, or if first given chance to negotiate a new deal with him to be ready upon trade, we can deal something around Dahlin/Byram for Barkov if FL has its back vs the wall. Would not send Dahlin/Byram for an expiring Barkov w/o a new contract w/us in place executed upon the transfer.

So, my point is be patient to get best deal.

Hopefully Zib will give us 8.25-8.75 x 4 after next season's bargain expires, staying with an emerging winner, and turning down mo $ to build post career chip.

We just continue to draft well, a new found talent = an advantage we must seize.

However, if Zib $$$ give us no choice, and we cannot jettison most of Trouba's 8 per, we have to be prepared.

Overly complicated. Build what we have--we have some high-end/projected high end guys already. They will cost sooner rather than later. Not only should the team NOT trade Lindgren, they should be trying to develop more like him. He's a classic "worth more to us than he is in trade" kind of guy, and because he has no offense to speak of, he's unlikely to break the bank on his contract. We need a few guys like that to balance out the higher salary guys.

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ
The Rangers would trade Kreider before Zibanejad, get real. Kreider isn't getting any younger, he's a winger and he'll probably age badly, just like every other physical FWD does.

Zibanejad is a perfect fit for us. We need to add a young, long-term C and keep Zibanejad.
"Get real"...alright...

Kreider is arguably more valuable to this team than Zibanejad is, given his leadership, contract, and the extremely rare combination of size, speed, and goal scoring he brings to the table. He's already locked up and will have 5 years left on his contract to Mika's 8 years when Mika's extension would kick in, and will likely be $2-4M per year cheaper than Mika. Kreider's deal ends at his age 35. An 8-year deal takes Zib to age 37.

He'll probably age badly is the most subjective and silly argument you can make. Kreider is already 29 and his game is better now than it was when he was 25. If anything, that argument applies more to Zib's longevity concerns than Kreider's.

Again, I love Mika and I think he's a fantastic player. But his age and contract just do not fit in this team's timeline...trying to jam a square peg into a round hole isn't going to help them become a contender in the next 2-4 years.

Oh...and Kreider has a full NMC until 2024-25.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
"Get real"...alright...

Kreider is arguably more valuable to this team than Zibanejad is, given his leadership, contract, and the extremely rare combination of size, speed, and goal scoring he brings to the table. He's already locked up and will have 5 years left on his contract to Mika's 8 years when Mika's extension would kick in, and will likely be $2-4M per year cheaper than Mika. Kreider's deal ends at his age 35. An 8-year deal takes Zib to age 37.

He'll probably age badly is the most subjective and silly argument you can make. Kreider is already 29 and his game is better now than it was when he was 25. If anything, that argument applies more to Zib's longevity concerns than Kreider's.

Again, I love Mika and I think he's a fantastic player. But his age and contract just do not fit in this team's timeline...trying to jam a square peg into a round hole isn't going to help them become a contender in the next 2-4 years.

Oh...and Kreider has a full NMC until 2024-25.
Zibanejad is a better goalscorer, a better player, less streaky, younger and plays the more important position. Zibanejad is a very good skater as well, not as good as Kreider. Zibanejad is more consistent, more of a game changer.

So yeah, get real.

The Rangers could sign a shorter deal or they'll just capdump him or something creative when it comes to it.

Zibanejad is harder to replace. A #1C who's a good 2-way FWD is way more valuable than Kreider.

NMC don't matter. If they want Kreider gone, they'll be good teams lining up. He'd wave.

Reactions: UnSandvich

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Zibanejad is a better goalscorer, a better player, less streaky, younger and plays the more important position. Zibanejad is a very good skater as well, not as good as Kreider. Zibanejad is more consistent, more of a game changer.

So yeah, get real.

The Rangers could sign a shorter deal or they'll just capdump him or something creative when it comes to it.

Zibanejad is harder to replace. A #1C who's a good 2-way FWD is way more valuable than Kreider.

NMC don't matter. If they want Kreider gone, they'll be good teams lining up. He'd wave.

Your ideas are intriguing and I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Reactions: MarkMessyay11

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Your ideas are intriguing and I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.
He is less streaky. Kreider is extremely streaky, Zibanejad used to be streaky. He's been amazing the last 2 seasons. This year he had COVID which affected him greatly.

Yeah Kreider would wave. Why would he force himself on a team that wouldn't want him on the team? 99% of the players accepts trades with NMC, if it's to good teams and so on. I doubt he'd decline moving home to Boston for instance.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Do a poll. Who's better, less streaky and more important. Ask who would you like to have on your team.

Kreider or Zibanejad.

We lack centres, we need more of them. We're overloaded on the wings in the NHL and our prospects.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Do a poll. Who's better, less streaky and more important. Ask who would you like to have on your team.

Kreider or Zibanejad.

We lack centres, we need more of them. We're overloaded on the wings in the NHL and our prospects.

I love Kreids. Not only is all of the above true, but Kreider will soon be the highest paid 3rd line LW in the league. He plays the team's deepest position.

Reactions: The Sweetness

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
I love him too! He's one of my favorite players. I just think Zibanejad is a better, more valuable player.

Definitely. In literally every way. It will be interesting as the kids start getting their next contracts though. I don't see how the team can keep Kreider, Trouba, and a re-signed Zib (at the rate he will probably get). Will be interesting to see how the team juggles all that.

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Definitely. In literally every way. It will be interesting as the kids start getting their next contracts though. I don't see how the team can keep Kreider, Trouba, and a re-signed Zib (at the rate he will probably get). Will be interesting to see how the team juggles all that.
This team must enforce the everyone signs their bridge deal mantra. We have 12 players on ELCs right now. You get one guy who bucks the trend and wants an 8 year deal the whole house of cards comes down.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
This team must enforce the everyone signs their bridge deal mantra. We have 12 players on ELCs right now. You get one guy who bucks the trend and wants an 8 year deal the whole house of cards comes down.

I figure you get one exception, and that's Fox. He's significantly further along in his development than any other prospect. The sooner they lock him down long-term, the better. And even with bridges, I wonder if that will be enough with the flat cap.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I figure you get one exception, and that's Fox. He's significantly further along in his development than any other prospect. The sooner they lock him down long-term, the better. And even with bridges, I wonder if that will be enough with the flat cap.
Even more reason to get him to sign the bridge. You can tell him he will be the GM when he's 45 if you have to. But realistically, if Fox signs the bridge, who comes in saying they aren't signing the bridge?

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011

You couldn't be more wrong. You claim Mika doesn't "fit their window" but they just went out and signed Panarin who's older, and a winger to a long-term contract. Your logic is completely flawed.

The Rangers are going to back the brinks truck up for Zibanejad. Think Auston Matthews contract minus maybe a million or two per. He's an elite #1C; NYR haven't had one of those since Messier. He's going absolutely nowhere. If anything, they need to add to him down the middle. The Rangers will build around Mika Zibanejad. To trade Mika would be to start the rebuild all over again; they have no one in the organization who even has the ceiling to potentially replace him at center.

The Rangers window to compete is next year and the following probably 5-7 years after that. They are reminiscent of Toronto in that respect. They have an embarrassment of riches at every position, except C. Which is exactly why they aren't moving Zibanejad.

Your cap claims also don't add up. They have a ton of money coming off the books the next couple years and DeAngelo will be off the books one way or another. Their cap situation is fine. If they're moving a C, it's going to be Strome but I would not be surprised if they moved one of Lafreniere or Kakko to address depth outside the wings

Reactions: AirGut

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
You couldn't be more wrong. You claim Mika doesn't "fit their window" but they just went out and signed Panarin who's older, and a winger to a long-term contract. Your logic is completely flawed.

The Rangers are going to back the brinks truck up for Zibanejad. Think Auston Matthews contract minus maybe a million or two per. He's an elite #1C; NYR haven't had one of those since Messier. He's going absolutely nowhere. If anything, they need to add to him down the middle. The Rangers will build around Mika Zibanejad. To trade Mika would be to start the rebuild all over again; they have no one in the organization who even has the ceiling to potentially replace him at center.

The Rangers window to compete is next year and the following probably 5-7 years after that. They are reminiscent of Toronto in that respect. They have an embarrassment of riches at every position, except C. Which is exactly why they aren't moving Zibanejad.

Your cap claims also don't add up. They have a ton of money coming off the books the next couple years and DeAngelo will be off the books one way or another. Their cap situation is fine. If they're moving a C, it's going to be Strome but I would not be surprised if they moved one of Lafreniere or Kakko to address depth outside the wings

Panarin's contract will end 3 years sooner than Zibanejad's would be extension he will be 29 at the start of the contract instead of 27 (essentially 28 though). Zibanejad's injury history compared to Panarin is more cause for concern on a 7 year extension, and hell he might even ask for 8.

His logic isn't "completely flawed", if we can get a top 6 c prospect and more assets in return its something we should consider. Remember how shrewd the Brassard for Zibanejad deal was.

Kreider only has 3 more years on his NMC clause though

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Panarin's contract will end 3 years sooner than Zibanejad's would be extension he will be 29 at the start of the contract instead of 27 (essentially 28 though). Zibanejad's injury history compared to Panarin is more cause for concern on a 7 year extension, and hell he might even ask for 8.

His logic isn't "completely flawed", if we can get a top 6 c prospect and more assets in return its something we should consider. Remember how shrewd the Brassard for Zibanejad deal was.

Kreider only has 3 more years on his NMC clause though

Juggling more $ is obv more difficult than lower salary. But the key here is term. We want Zib thru 33 at a signif #, but one we can swing, 8ish per.
A 7 or 8 yr term after this pact expires must be a non-starter, so we should get him extended at something we can live with or get a haul for him as a rental.

sdf

Jan 23, 2015
Rostov on Don
Lol this zib is better than pEnErin, he does takeaways, wining puck batles, score a nice goals, and penerin make only some easy passes when for some reason nobody not stop him

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Let me guess, because Zib is a 2C, right? We don't need Eichel, or anyone else to play "above him". We need a good, 2-way center that can slot into the top 6 and eventually replace Strome.
Not at all Zib is a great player...But with that great winger set ,why not have two number 1 lines

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Not at all Zib is a great player...But with that great winger set ,why not have two number 1 lines

Because there is a salary cap, and because Eichel will cost too much to acquire. If trading for Eichel means we can't afford to re-sign Zib, what's the point? I'd rather have Zib than Eichel, especially when you consider the cost to get Eichel.

We've already got 2 number 1 lines without Eichel. We need center depth, but we don't need to trade for the most expensive center available. Given the cap hits for Panarin, Kreider and Trouba, and the potential raises for Buchnevich and Fox, we need to be more frugal in filling the 2C spot.

Reactions: topshelf15

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Because there is a salary cap, and because Eichel will cost too much to acquire. If trading for Eichel means we can't afford to re-sign Zib, what's the point? I'd rather have Zib than Eichel, especially when you consider the cost to get Eichel.

We've already got 2 number 1 lines without Eichel. We need center depth, but we don't need to trade for the most expensive center available. Given the cap hits for Panarin, Kreider and Trouba, and the potential raises for Buchnevich and Fox, we need to be more frugal in filling the 2C spot.
I have a feeling the cost for the Rangers to get him will be lower than other teams....As I think he wants to go there,thats all...But for sure NY has already a good young team on the rise

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ

I don't want to get into a pissing match about your opinion vs. mine, but yours is...well, bad. Comparing Zibanejad to Panarin? Using Matthews' contract as a comp for a completely different player that will be 29 at the time of signing his extension? Advocating for trading Kakko or Laf and scraping the barrel for every excuse not to trade Zib?

I'm not saying Zibanejad is a bad player nor am I saying I wouldn't love to keep him. What I am saying is, given his age, track record, contract ask, and potential trade value, I think they're going shop him this summer at 50% and ask for a younger center in return. Coupled with that may be a push for someone like Eichel. If the price is too high, they look for a 2nd-tier 1C that can match up against other teams top lines and support their wingers. They have more than enough ammo to make almost any trade they want.

And how can you claim Zib fits their window, and then go on to say their window is the next 5-7 years? Signing Zibanejad to a long-term deal at 29 means you're lucky to get 2 more years of 1C play out of him. What do you do in years 3-7 when Zib is in his mid-30's, we're paying him top tier money, and the younger core players have to be extended? This revolving circle of overpaying players who are exiting their prime is likely the reason why the Rangers fell just short of their Cup aspirations last time. You either live and learn, or you don't...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad