Value of: Mika Zibanejad

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Center is currently our only real need. Robbing Peter to pay Paul.
Yeah I mean there are economic reasons, but got to love that Gorton has the stones to try and trade Zibanejad in another Zibanejad for Brassard type deal. That’s the only scenario.

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
Agree to disagree. Either way it doesn’t matter, Sakic is too smart to move Newhook for Zib. He is a patient GM and sees big picture
A healthy Zib would make the Avs prohibitive favorites to win the cup; so there's that. I want to keep Zib, get through this ridiculous year and look towards next year and beyond when our cap situation improves significantly and he has recovered from whatever is hampering him. Newhook at his best will not be as good as Mika was the last two years.

Reactions: Daves a mess

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
pre arranged w/Avs.
extend Zib 6 yrs 7.5 per
immediately no NMC
ntc only

Zib + for Byram +
cap dump Saad 5m expiring incl

something like dat

NY should not obsess w/win now
get top value return on Zib = successful repurposing

check off all other boxes
ride developing Chytil
Kravstov should work w/Kakko + Panarin
Barron likely okay 3C to start
Howden + current crew handles 4C

Then when a top 1C emerges you are ready...

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
A healthy Zib would make the Avs prohibitive favorites to win the cup; so there's that.

Newhook at his best will not be as good as Mika was the last two years.

I don’t think that would make them favorites at all. Tampa is still a much better team and adding Zib doesn’t give enough separation from Carolina, Vegas, Boston, Toronto etc to justify selling a bluechip C prospect. Waiting for Newhook ensures they are competitive into the next decade. He’s also their only elite F prospect.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
If you’re trying to hash out a long term deal, yes. If his underwhelming play continues, he’s probably looking at a one or two year deal to prove himself before he cashes in. The bridge deal is probably a million or so above his salary now.

I doubt Zibanejad takes a bridge "prove it" type deal, its only going to hurt his next contract. Zibanejad turns 28 next month. A 1 year prove it deal takes him into UFA with an inconsistent resume at best during the summer of his 30 year old season. The center production falloff historically happens at 30/31, so teams are probably going to be gun shy handing out big money long term during a flat cap to a 30 year old center knowing its going to probably age very poorly, sooner than later.

His options are to either to give NYR a favorable long term deal this summer/during next season or roll the dice on a covid flat cap era FA market, which I think probably looks worse than what he expects and what NYR will probably offer him. His last big contract probably only comes in the form of re-signing with the NYR for whatever they offer him IMO

Reactions: bernmeister

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I doubt Zibanejad takes a bridge "prove it" type deal, its only going to hurt his next contract. Zibanejad turns 28 next month. A 1 year prove it deal takes him into UFA with an inconsistent resume at best during the summer of his 30 year old season. The center production falloff historically happens at 30/31, so teams are probably going to be gun shy handing out big money long term during a flat cap to a 30 year old center knowing its going to probably age very poorly, sooner than later.

His options are to either to give NYR a favorable long term deal this summer/during next season or roll the dice on a covid flat cap era FA market, which I think probably looks worse than what he expects and what NYR will probably offer him. His last big contract probably only comes in the form of re-signing with the NYR for whatever they offer him IMO

mostly agree but he still gets increase to 7ish even on long term deal,
He is a bargain now at 5.35

broc

Dec 20, 2010
pre arranged w/Avs.
extend Zib 6 yrs 7.5 per
immediately no NMC
ntc only

Zib + for Byram +

something like dat

ride developing Chytil

How is Saad a cap dump? He’s on pace for 27 goals over a full 82 game season. He’s got a 5 mil cap hit and is UFA after this season.
He’s not a cap dump bruh.

Reactions: go4hockey

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
How is Saad a cap dump? He’s on pace for 27 goals over a full 82 game season. He’s got a 5 mil cap hit and is UFA after this season.
He’s not a cap dump bruh.

fair enough
any mutually acceptable cap dump to offset Zib's 5.35

who would you suggest?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
pre arranged w/Avs.
extend Zib 6 yrs 7.5 per
immediately no NMC
ntc only

Zib + for Byram +

something like dat

ride developing Chytil

Rangers can’t deal Mika without getting at least one center back. No matter what.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
mostly agree but he still gets increase to 7ish even on long term deal,
He is a bargain now at 5.35
if I'm NYR, I think I stop at 4-5 years x $7-7.25 per.

it really doesn't make a lot of sense to go any longer for NYR given their upcoming younger contracts in a few years and some of the larger contracts still being on the books. I also think you don't want any part of zibanejad at 34+ with a $7+ mil cap hit

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
if I'm NYR, I think I stop at 4-5 years x $7-7.25 per.

it really doesn't make a lot of sense to go any longer for NYR given their upcoming younger contracts in a few years and some of the larger contracts still being on the books. I also think you don't want any part of zibanejad at 34+ with a $7+ mil cap hit

coupla things:
-- agree the cut off is best at 33, 34 the most. He is 27 w/ b'day in April.
Unless the current deal is absorbed, we are talking about a new deal as tp where you start to count age at end of the contract.

-- some level of concession to the player may be required. Covid will press down this season and next but he can wait that out, rebound from covid this preseason = bad start, and gamble on ufa after good final contract yr. That is not a given but it is plausible, and if he walks Rangers get zero.

-- we are not retaining Zib regardless of production. We do not have immediate pressure, but long term we cannot afford him. We are happy w/Panarin's 10+. Unfortunately we can't do anything about Trouba for another 3-4 yrs. We need to get quality younger who are cheaper and or futures. Rely on emerging elcs and make use of the good draft selections we acquired.

-- What people are not getting is unless Trouba is involved, which is not gonna happen, Eichel is out of the equation. All this clickbait, Eich to Rangers; it should not happen. BUF is gonna do everything to make Eich happy and up to a point a bit further, he will give them a chance.

-- What BUF does not accept is it needs a dramatic move to get a huge amount of depth and immediate talent add to keep Eich and Hall happy. The only way to do that is trade Dahlin.

-- Dahlin to NYR for Zib +++ works. The fact it is for a LD and not a C is not a dominant consideration. The dominant consideration is you are consolidating talent, but you are acquiring star exiting elc so = rfa = immediate cost controlled.

-- If when Reunanen etc emerge and there is surplus, they could deal the surplus, or conceivably Dahlin can be flipped for a top prospect or 2, one of which could be a high end C prospect.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
Zib will break out of slump issue with him is more his health....That I think keeps you from making a big trade with another team more than anything....

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Traded for him two weeks ago in my Pool, got him and a 10th for Laine (who I got from Waivers after the guy that had him Rage Dropped him) and a 13th...so I got a better pick and Zibby has been on fire since then, while Laine is dying a slow death in Tortsville...gotta love it when a snakebit players breaks out of a funk and you cash in on it...:laugh:

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
coupla things:

-- Dahlin to NYR for Zib +++ works. The fact it is for a LD and not a C is not a dominant consideration. The dominant consideration is you are consolidating talent, but you are acquiring star exiting elc so = rfa = immediate cost controlled.

-- If when Reunanen etc emerge and there is surplus, they could deal the surplus, or conceivably Dahlin can be flipped for a top prospect or 2, one of which could be a high end C prospect.

Bern, if the team trades Zibanejad, it has to be for a top center prospect. A "win now" team looking to make a few runs at the Cup sacrificing a center prospect that is still a year of two away kind of deal. I know you love Byram and Dahlin, but it would be insanity to trade Zib for MORE defense. The right side of the D moving forward has Trouba and Fox with Lundkvist and Schneider on the way. The left side has Miller, Lindgren, and Hajek, and there's STILL a ton of guys with high end upside on the way: Reuanen, Jones, Robertson, etc. Trouba already makes bank. Fox will soon. We can't spend the kind of money to have #1 defenseman on every pairing.

The defense is set--they just need to (continue to) develop. The team needs to focus on budget centers moving forward, whether that's moving a UFA for an ELC (like the Zib for Newhook example) or developing more guys like Chytil.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Bern, if the team trades Zibanejad, it has to be for a top center prospect. A "win now" team looking to make a few runs at the Cup sacrificing a center prospect that is still a year of two away kind of deal. I know you love Byram and Dahlin, but it would be insanity to trade Zib for MORE defense. The right side of the D moving forward has Trouba and Fox with Lundkvist and Schneider on the way. The left side has Miller, Lindgren, and Hajek, and there's STILL a ton of guys with high end upside on the way: Reuanen, Jones, Robertson, etc. Trouba already makes bank. Fox will soon. We can't spend the kind of money to have #1 defenseman on every pairing.

The defense is set--they just need to (continue to) develop. The team needs to focus on budget centers moving forward, whether that's moving a UFA for an ELC (like the Zib for Newhook example) or developing more guys like Chytil.

With one key exception, everything you wrote here is spot on.

I believe when discussing this I noted that you go w/Dahlin/Byram b'c
1) you are paying for and acquiring cost control [elc->rfa/elc] level asset which is huge, and, no less important...
2) that player is a storehouse of value enabling options later.

So in a scenario where Lindy is solid high to Sabes, K'A M is a lock, w/emerging Hajek likely. Reunanen is also good, w/others knocking on the door.
Depending on who matures at what value, you trade one of the others bes. KAM and keep Dahlin/Byram, OR as is more likely, you flip Dahlin/Byram.

This is pertinent to your concerns b'c Dahlin/Byram would fetch HUMONGOUS return incl stud pivot prospect.
Not saying we or they go there, but in theory Dahlin/Byram is kind of asset that returns a Byfield, for example -- likely +s either side.

Or it can fetch a Newhook w/signif +++s

Or, I expect Barkov to stay in FL, but there is a chance he may tell them early he wants out. If that is the case, we can wait and take our chances when Barkov hits ufa, or if first given chance to negotiate a new deal with him to be ready upon trade, we can deal something around Dahlin/Byram for Barkov if FL has its back vs the wall. Would not send Dahlin/Byram for an expiring Barkov w/o a new contract w/us in place executed upon the transfer.

So, my point is be patient to get best deal.

Hopefully Zib will give us 8.25-8.75 x 4 after next season's bargain expires, staying with an emerging winner, and turning down mo $ to build post career chip.

We just continue to draft well, a new found talent = an advantage we must seize.

However, if Zib $$$ give us no choice, and we cannot jettison most of Trouba's 8 per, we have to be prepared.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
Honestly he's worthless unless you trade him to another team in the Metro or just keep him. He only accumulates points against the Flyers.:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $770.00