Player Discussion Mika Zibanejad: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I think Zibanejad might actually be my favorite player on this roster.

My only complaint is that I want that season where he plays all 82 games and puts up that 90+ points, just so I can "see" it in his official bio.

He might be the best and most complete player on the roster and with a team with Panarin on it that's saying something.

I'm not really sold on his D being 'great' but honestly as a center he just does so much stuff so well and has so much skills it's incredible

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
He might be the best and most complete player on the roster and with a team with Panarin on it that's saying something.

I'm not really sold on his D being 'great' but honestly as a center he just does so much stuff so well and has so much skills it's incredible

Seriously, he's arguably the most dangerous center I've seen on this roster in 20 years. The only guy who could maybe challenge that claim was Lindros in 2002, but at this rate, Mika's been doing it longer.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Seriously, he's arguably the most dangerous center I've seen on this roster in 20 years. The only guy who could maybe challenge that claim was Lindros in 2002, but at this rate, Mika's been doing it longer.

There's something about the FLY line that rubs me the wrong way and I don't know what it is. I think it's the name. Maybe also having York on that line just doesn't sit well with me.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

Lindros for the first stretch of games was pretty dominant. He was playing like his old self and his old self was scary as all hell. But he was also a completely different kind of player/center and affected the game differently.

I think it's also not just coincidence that the Rangers score 2 short handed goals once he comes back...(zibanejad that is)

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
hahah funny that those "outside interests" were used to put him down just a few years ago

In fairness, there was a time when Zibanejad gave off the vibe, and tended to make certain decisions that added validity to those concerns. He was often a kid who was described as being someone who "liked" hockey and knew he was good at it, but wasn't necessarily someone who "loved" hockey and did all the work necessary to be the player he could be.

Those claims, and that perception, started to change in 2017 when the Rangers moved Stepan and the organization had a meeting outlining the player they felt he could be.

I think there was a noticeable change in Zibanejad at that point and that's continued to carry over for the past two years. I think his skills are peaking, but I also think he's put in a ton of work and really dedicated himself to be the best player he can be. And when those two elements overlap (skill + work), the results are outstanding.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
In fairness, there was a time when Zibanejad gave off the vibe, and tended to make certain decisions that added validity to those concerns. He was often a kid who was described as being someone who "liked" hockey and knew he was good at it, but wasn't necessarily who "loved" hockey and did all the work necessary to be the player he could be.

Those claims, and that perception, started to change in 2017 when the Rangers moved Stepan and the organization had a meeting outlining the player they felt he could be.

I think there was a noticeable change in Zibanejad at that point and that's continued to carry over for the past two years. I think his skills are peaking, but I also think he's put in a ton of work and really dedicated himself to be the best player he can be. And when those two elements overlap (skill + work), the results are outstanding.

Yeah I remember that was a criticism in Ottawa and the year the Rangers traded for him he supposedly put in a lot of work that summer to be better...but that just seemed to be the start of him realizing what he needed to do to reach his potential in the NHL and he's improve don it every year since

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Why does it seem to me like Mika is just living the life? Man to be a good looking athlete who isn't just some meathead in Manhattan.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Does anyone else notice his skating looking improved this year? He looks explosively fast

Yeah I remember that was a criticism in Ottawa and the year the Rangers traded for him he supposedly put in a lot of work that summer to be better...but that just seemed to be the start of him realizing what he needed to do to reach his potential in the NHL and he's improve don it every year since

Why does it seem to me like Mika is just living the life? Man to be a good looking athlete who isn't just some meathead in Manhattan.

And I think all of this is reflective of the work he's put in. From the outside looking in, without talking to the guy, I think there's a good possibility he found a balance.

Lundqvist is a prime example of that. Yes, he's a Hall of Famer and one of the greatest Rangers of all time. He he has a lot of outside interests and hobbies.

But, he puts in a TON of work. He's dedicated to his craft. He's found a balance that works for him.

When you talk to people about Zibanejad, you hear a lot of that being said about him --- the work he puts in, the challenge he accepted. I think that's awesome.

When Zibanejad was a prospect, one of the attributes that was cited was his competitiveness. I think he and the Rangers found a way to channel and harness that attribute.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
So, it was a neckcussion.

So I was wrong--it wasn't a tumor. :D

But one thing to realize, migraines are nasty and having a neck injury can trigger them....I know: a couple of years ago I hurt my neck, was so stiff I couldn't see out my left side mirror. It triggered two migraines--something I suffered from into my late 40s but hadn't had any real ones in years (as women get into their 50s and 60s migraine problems often get better or even go away on their own). I was in physical therapy for almost 2 months--it took almost a month before there was any real improvement and I was diligent about doing the exercises and stretching between sessions.

Glad Mika is feeling better!

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
His skating has definitely gone to another level. But more than anything is sounds like his conditioning and commitment to becoming a world class athlete have taken him to an elite level. He had the talent but maybe not the drive to figure it out until recently. Now he’s a beast

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
His compete level is admirable. Its rare to see a player with talent, grind it out as he does.

He'll get those numbers soon enough IMO
Yeah, I believe he will as well. Just has to stay healthy and apparently that's difficult for him to do. He doesn't play a "miss Prissy" type game. He gets in there sometimes and bangs away with the big boys, trying to retrieve a puck. A Jesper Fast with much more talent.
You know, it's funny. When a player like Zbad has this amazing talent and "doesn't" play hard like he does, we have a tendency to call him lazy. On the flip end, when they play hard like he does, he gets injured, and then complain he or a player like him can't "stay healthy". We just can't win, we are quite the fickle HF board. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad