Microsoft Xbox Discussion Part II

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I don't want to be a hater but the rumble triggers in the Xbox controller are like 1000 times better than the adaptive triggers in the PS5. Apparently these have been around since the launch of Xbox one? They're so good in Forza 4.

Although I have to say I bought a Series S and there is quite a bit of shimmering and pop-in in this game. I know technically the GPU is weaker than One X but come on up that resolution.

I'm playing on an Xbox Series X at 1080p and I don't have any issues with shimmering and pop-in... that's odd. The Xbox Series S and an Xbox Series X outputting at 1080p are basically the same machine, it's just extra texture bandwidth going unused.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I'm playing on an Xbox Series X at 1080p and I don't have any issues with shimmering and pop-in... that's odd. The Xbox Series S and an Xbox Series X outputting at 1080p are basically the same machine, it's just extra texture bandwidth going unused.
oh man you must not have my eye for graphics. I'm just getting blasted in the face with pop in and jaggie shimmer. I can't go back to anything less than a flawless paper clean image after experiencing the PS5 exclusive stuff.

Obviously I'm half joking but once you experience the PS5 exclusive stuff any jaggies whatsoever become very noticeable and last gen draw distances even moreso.

Last edited:

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
oh man you must not have my eye for graphics. I'm just getting blasted in the face with pop in and jaggie shimmer. I can't go back to anything less than a flawless paper clean image after experiencing the PS5 exclusive stuff.

Obviously I'm half joking but once you experience the PS5 exclusive stuff any jaggies whatsoever become very noticeable and last gen draw distances even moreso.

I have a PS5 as well as a Series X, I've played a great deal of the next-gen stuff. I've also played Forza Horizon 4 at 4K on a PC via a friend.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016

I completely get what you mean. I started Gears Ultimate Edition (Gears 1 remake released in 2015). It runs at 30fps and upscaled 4K and it's been really rough to play...real rough.

I truly believe gaming is 100x more enjoyable at 4K 60fps. Both of those are absolute game changers.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I completely get what you mean. I started Gears Ultimate Edition (Gears 1 remake released in 2015). It runs at 30fps and upscaled 4K and it's been really rough to play...real rough.

I truly believe gaming is 100x more enjoyable at 4K 60fps. Both of those are absolute game changers.
Gears 1 Ultimate is just poorly optimized anyways. It barely holds 60 even on PC.
I have a PS5 as well as a Series X, I've played a great deal of the next-gen stuff. I've also played Forza Horizon 4 at 4K on a PC via a friend.
To give you an idea of what I'm seeing, switch to first person mode

the timestamp on the video should automatically skip to 40 seconds in but if not skip to there. Notice lots of shadow and LODs popping in. Also notice at 1:15 or so the road markings have tons of jaggies. And I'm sure youve noticed some shimmering in the leaves in the trees. The game is great anyways but I'm just on the next gen tip.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

Looks like the Series X is locked in at 4k, 60 fps...

This one of the reasons I don't think the Series S is a good purchase as games are sometimes performing under the 1X on it.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Looks like the Series X is locked in at 4k, 60 fps...

This one of the reasons I don't think the Series S is a good purchase as games are sometimes performing under the 1X on it.
I definitely agree especially since it's 60 fps mode in some newer games is sub 1080p, and it's 120fps mode is 720p for some games.

With that said, it's nearly impossible to find a series X and imo having a 60 fps mode for everything and fast load times makes it preferable over One X.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I definitely agree especially since it's 60 fps mode in some newer games is sub 1080p, and it's 120fps mode is 720p for some games.

With that said, it's nearly impossible to find a series X and imo having a 60 fps mode for everything and fast load times makes it preferable over One X.

I got one for $650 off Marketplace back in December. I figured the extra $$ were worth my time of not having to search anymore and I was right. After a couple failed Walmart and Gamesstop attempts. I got frustrated

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016

I'm surprised someone as heavy into gaming and with a 'gaming eye' would go for a Series S.

I think it's designed for people exactly like my roommate. He doesn't have a 4K TV/monitor, he doesn't overly care about resolution/frames, he just wants to game and have fun with friends. He currently has a One S but in a few years, when they stop making games for it, I'll recommend him a Series S. Oh, and for kids or people in budgets.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
The newest set of FPS Boost games just got announced/released, and it's all EA:

- Battlefield 1, 4 and V (120hz)
- Mirror's Edge Catalyst (120hz)
- Plants vs Zombies BoN, GW, GW2 (120hz)
- Star Wars Battlefront I and II (120hz)
- Titanfall 1 and 2 (120hz)
- Unravel 2 (120hz)
- Sea of Solitude (60hz)

*warning* A lot of the games targeting 120hz are sacrificing resolution to get there. Although this is the case with some previously announced FPS Boost games, a lot of Xbox gamers are saying it's quite the drop off for these titles.

My thoughts on this...a little disappointing for me, personally. I'm not a huge fan of EA games, and it seems like with this batch the extra frames aren't even worth the resolution drop. I also think Xbox should focus on getting games from 30fps->60fps, rather than getting games up to 120fps.

I'm still hoping for Origins. I bought the Gold edition, but the gameplay at 30fps is pretty unplayable for me on my Series X, especially after playing Valhalla.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I'm surprised someone as heavy into gaming and with a 'gaming eye' would go for a Series S.

I think it's designed for people exactly like my roommate. He doesn't have a 4K TV/monitor, he doesn't overly care about resolution/frames, he just wants to game and have fun with friends. He currently has a One S but in a few years, when they stop making games for it, I'll recommend him a Series S. Oh, and for kids or people in budgets.
I'll be honest I'm already regretting it but I had a upstairs tv with no console attached, the price was so affordable, and I had gamepass already but its just so much weaker than I thought. I was not prepared for the step back, it feels last gen. I will probably sell it, give it away or trade it for a switch at some point.

Though I'm not really a new purchase high guy. I want to give it a chance as a light gaming machine.

Edit: I have to give credit though this thing looks so damn good on the tv stand.

Last edited:

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I'll be honest I'm already regretting it but I had a upstairs tv with no console attached, the price was so affordable, and I had gamepass already but its just so much weaker than I thought. I was not prepared for the step back, it feels last gen. I will probably sell it, give it away or trade it for a switch at some point.

Though I'm not really a new purchase high guy. I want to give it a chance as a light gaming machine.

Edit: I have to give credit though this thing looks so damn good on the tv stand.

and not to mention the lack of space on the hard drive. I think the S will be the 1st one to get buffed with a little power and drive space in the next year. The only reason they are selling them is because you can't find the Series X anywhere or people don't full understand the differences in consoles.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
and not to mention the lack of space on the hard drive. I think the S will be the 1st one to get buffed with a little power and drive space in the next year. The only reason they are selling them is because you can't find the Series X anywhere or people don't full understand the differences in consoles.

No, the reason they’re selling the Series S is it removes a pretty big barrier to entry into next-gen. The PS5/XSX come to $680 after tax in Canada. The Series S is $430 after tax in Canada - a $250 difference. That’s a massive deal for a lot of people, and a lot of people don’t necessarily care about getting 4K gaming or always achieving 60 frames.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
No, the reason they’re selling the Series S is it removes a pretty big barrier to entry into next-gen. The PS5/XSX come to $680 after tax in Canada. The Series S is $430 after tax in Canada - a $250 difference. That’s a massive deal for a lot of people, and a lot of people don’t necessarily care about getting 4K gaming or always achieving 60 frames.

pretty much the reason I went with the S over the ps5 or X. I also wanted a consule i could easily throw in the backpack and bring with me anywhere in a small lightweight package. I play on a 24" 120hz monitor and it works great for me, I dont know if I would even be compelled to buy a higher end model. As for storage space it sucks but I have fibre internet so I just download and delete games as they take no time at all to download and my achievements are saved.

also coming from the ps4 these controllers are the best I have ever felt. so damn good.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com

I get that but at $100 difference they wouldn’t be selling as well without the X being so hard to find.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I get that but at $100 difference they wouldn’t be selling as well without the X being so hard to find.
It's $200 though. 299 vs 499. It's actually $20 cheaper than a switch in Canada.

With that said I definitely would be buying the X if it was in stock, especially cause of the disc drive. However I don't anticipate the S getting a SSD upgrade. In fact that's the last thing I think it will get if it got an upgrade. Flash memory is such a supply constrained thing that it would likely hurt production.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I got the S over the X, I don't care if something is 4k at 500fps or whatever, graphics don't bother me in the slightest. As I looked at how I've bought games, in the beginning of this gen I got mostly physical disks for PS4 and within the last few years I've changed to digital without really recognizing it. So a system like the S is great for me, but I know I'm in the minority.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
ICYMI

I got the S over the X, I don't care if something is 4k at 500fps or whatever, graphics don't bother me in the slightest. As I looked at how I've bought games, in the beginning of this gen I got mostly physical disks for PS4 and within the last few years I've changed to digital without really recognizing it. So a system like the S is great for me, but I know I'm in the minority.

I have an S too and you're going to run out of space fast. Get the external storage (not an external USB drive) and you'll be good or else you'll be swapping out games left and right.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
About 8 years late on the f2p online but better late than never.

For the One S (edit: lol, Series S I mean, these names), I've basically run out of storage already with just Fallen order, Forza 4 and a bunch of 5-10 GB gamepass games I'm trying out, however, I don't think I'm gonna be buying a external drive. I'd rather just swap out games. For me it kind of defeats the point of saving money on it.

But I have to say this thing turns on so damn fast it's insane. It literally takes like half a second to power on and unpause the game. And game suspensions are so impressive. I literally tried out like 10 games, selected Forza horizon and it was still suspended. It's way more polished than the PS5. I do have to say the actual UI for the system menu is terrible though (yes yes Jussi, you can customize the menu, it's ugly brah)

The only glitches I've encountered was when I fill up the SSD the Xbox weirdly starts acting buggy. Which does happen on regular SSDs too but there's like 150 GB unusable on the Xbox so I figured it wouldn't.

Edit: oh man Jedi fallen order is just way too good to play on Series S. It's definitely playable but I need my 4k60fps for this one. EA play works on PC too if you have it on Xbox but it feels like a console game to me.

Last edited:

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
How are they STILL so hard to find? This is crazy.

Semiconductor shortage is making every piece of new tech hard to get.

Ford has cars and trucks sitting in warehouses, completely finished except for the ECUs and chips for the satnavs and stuff.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
If you mean consoles, there's a huge global semiconductor shortage. EVERYONE needs them and console manufacturers are not getting them any sooner than others.

The best way to put the supply and demand into the simplest terms is that when consoles go on sale there essentially five of them and 100k people
Trying to buy it all at the same time online.

Reactions: Jussi

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I have one huge criticism of Xbox so far: There is no cloud gaming on the consoles.

It doesn't seem huge but it is. When I have friends over I use cloud gaming on my PS5 all the time to stream co-op or competitive games that aren't installed to the console from PS Now. All games on PS Now can be streamed, even PS4 and PS5 games. Its a hugely beneficial feature thats missing on xbox.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
I have one huge criticism of Xbox so far: There is no cloud gaming on the consoles.

It doesn't seem huge but it is. When I have friends over I use cloud gaming on my PS5 all the time to stream co-op or competitive games that aren't installed to the console from PS Now. All games on PS Now can be streamed, even PS4 and PS5 games. Its a hugely beneficial feature thats missing on xbox.

First of all, couldn’t you do this through xCloud on the Microsoft Edge browser? I don’t see why not.

Secondly, I don’t really think it’s a ‘hugely beneficial feature that’s missing’. Like, at all, really. If I’m sitting at home on my console, I can just boot up the game - no need for cloud. If I’m on the go, xCloud just added support for iOS.

Plus, don’t PS Now games stream at 720p through cloud gaming? I don’t think I’d be able to handle that lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad