OT: Michigan Sports Thread: The 1-3 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Curious what U of M fans think of the rumors that they are thinking of ducking the tOSU game...

They're not ducking the game. Coaches and teams and whatever need to stop it with that f***ing rhetoric.

The people making the call to cancel games are separate from the coaching staffs and otherwise. If you're canceling a game because of COVID breakouts... it's because you don't want the players to get sick... not because you're worried about getting jackhammered.

I hated it when Dabo said that about FSU and I hate it about rumors swirling about Michigan doing it. Kids want to play. Keep playground grudges out of responses to a pandemic.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
They're not ducking the game. Coaches and teams and whatever need to stop it with that f***ing rhetoric.

The people making the call to cancel games are separate from the coaching staffs and otherwise. If you're canceling a game because of COVID breakouts... it's because you don't want the players to get sick... not because you're worried about getting jackhammered.

I hated it when Dabo said that about FSU and I hate it about rumors swirling about Michigan doing it. Kids want to play. Keep playground grudges out of responses to a pandemic.

Now, I could get behind Michigan canceling on OSU to just f*** them over and let Indiana play in the title game. I can get behind that type of pettiness. But that's me as a fan of a team in a completely lost season. Hell, I would have been fine with CFB sitting this season out entirely. If I were remotely intertwined with the program, there is not a fiber of my being that would keep me away from that game.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Now, I could get behind Michigan canceling on OSU to just f*** them over and let Indiana play in the title game. I can get behind that type of pettiness. But that's me as a fan of a team in a completely lost season. Hell, I would have been fine with CFB sitting this season out entirely. If I were remotely intertwined with the program, there is not a fiber of my being that would keep me away from that game.

Your first sentence is what is being leaked, not the virus angle. That they would do it to make tOSU ineligible for the title game and playoff.

I would never let U of M live that down and I would hope the B1G punished them massively if it is just them crying over sucking again and not wanting to get embarrassed for how many years in a row now?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Your first sentence is what is being leaked, not the virus angle. That they would do it to make tOSU ineligible for the title game and playoff.

I would never let U of M live that down and I would hope the B1G punished them massively if it is just them crying over sucking again and not wanting to get embarrassed for how many years in a row now?

Oh, that's just the petty "we can bone OSU" side coming out of me. I'd lose respect for the school if they actually did it too. I take the rumors as the bunk they 100% are. Michigan may be a school of arrogant assholes, but they've never hesitated to be there to take their medicine. We may have "never lost a game, just ran out of time" and be abhorrent to the non-Maize and Blue fanbase, but it isn't a team of cowards.

It came from Kirk Herbstreit on an opinion show. He's a lifetime member of that rivalry, so I think his dropping that quote was just more like Mike Hart's "little brother" comment against MSU. Dig at his rival just in case a cancellation does happen and if it doesn't, he can walk back the statement.

That would be like me watching the Wings get drilled 5-0 again and I call for them to sign that emergency zamboni driver to replace Bernier. Obviously I wouldn't want them to cut one of the few NHL level players that they had... but fandom.

It's "trade Stafford and sign Kaepernick" thinking. It's "trade literally every player not nailed down with an NTC in a rebuild, no matter what". It's fan postulating which is just venting not anything with an actual prayer of happening.

Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Michigan...(has) never hesitated to be there to take their medicine.

We may have "never lost a game, just ran out of time" and be abhorrent to the non-Maize and Blue fanbase, but it isn't a team of cowards.
Not cowards, but historically full of excuses for losing, rather than "taking their medicine".

The field was crowned.
Spartan Bob added a second to the clock.
The refs did this or didn't do that.

All fanbases whine about stuff. It just gets old hearing the annual "won the recruiting game" and September Heismans, predictably followed by the external reasons that the team isn't nearly as good as they had been crowing about.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I'm not a fan of UM for similar reasons as to why I don't like the Dallas Cowboys. Both programs used to have plenty of success. Neither has won anything meaningful for a long time, but every year the hype train leaves the station again, and there always seems to be at least a hint of smugness as to why everybody is supposed to think they're the bee's knees.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Not cowards, but historically full of excuses for losing, rather than "taking their medicine".

The field was crowned.
Spartan Bob added a second to the clock.
The refs did this or didn't do that.

All fanbases whine about stuff. It just gets old hearing the annual "won the recruiting game" and September Heismans, predictably followed by the external reasons that the team isn't nearly as good as they had been crowing about.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I'm not a fan of UM for similar reasons as to why I don't like the Dallas Cowboys. Both programs used to have plenty of success. Neither has won anything meaningful for a long time, but every year the hype train leaves the station again, and there always seems to be at least a hint of smugness as to why everybody is supposed to think they're the bee's knees.

I mean, literally every team/program has excuses for losing. Michigan is very very very very very bad for it. That does annoy me as a Michigan fan. However, when I say about "taking their medicine", I'm referring more to stuff like Kordell Stewart's Hail Mary, Tyler Ecker holding onto the ball and running into a defender instead of one last pitch to Steve Breaston in 2005 against Nebraska, "Woah he has trouble with the snap!", etc.

Because Michigan is the arrogant fanbase it is, other fanbases are all to willing to rub in the losses. I mean, it is a bit ridiculous how many "ESPN Classics" end with Michigan on the losing end. Stuff like excuses about missed PIs or Sparty Bob or whatever... that's ludicrously biased fanbases. Michigan gets those voices boosted like crazy because they're popular and have a wide alumni/fan base. I mean, see Notre Dame for the Ty Willingham, O'Leary, and very early Brian Kelly eras when they couldn't get out of their own way.

I don't hold the "September Heismans" against the program, because 1) What team doesn't want to pump their guys tires for an award and 2) that's the networks knowing that Michigan is still a brand even if they're dogshit. Most of Michigan's issues with the overpromotion is simply because they buy into their own hype a little bit too much. Also, bleating about winning the recruiting game is how you continue to get talented players to come.

That problem is Michigan is recruiting in demand players without realizing they're actually not that good. This season... Quinn Nordin has about two more made FGs than I do. He was the top rated HS kicker when he came out, right? Vincent Gray (a DB) is a four-star and he's out there getting his lunch stolen and his glasses busted by Rocky Lombardi. They get caught in the numbers and not whether the kids can actually play football in big spots. That's where MSU really closed the gap on them from the 90s and early 2000s. MSU was getting the lower scouted guys with massive, massive chips on their shoulder. Guy like Joe Bachie. Slower and weaker than a guy like Devin Bush... but holy shit what a gamer.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
What's the best MSU equivalent to "Walmart Wolverine"? Sears Spartan? Sam's Club Spartan?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
What's the best MSU equivalent to "Walmart Wolverine"? Sears Spartan? Sam's Club Spartan?

Save a Lot Spartans.

They just mentioned this on 97.1 the Ticket.

I suppose you could call me a Walmart Wolvie. Didn't go there. Went to EMU because EMU had a good accounting school too and I got a good amount of money to go there. Have liked U-M since the Tyrone Wheatley/Tim Biakabatuka days though.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
What? Those sorry ass blue jersey suckers actually mounted a comeback?

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018
That's certainly more work than he ever put into fixing the defense.

I was stupidly thinking that this hire might finally be the right one after years (and I've been watching these guys for a long time) of Forzanos, Hudspeths, Morninwhegs and Marinellis. Now it's just funny to me. I've decided to not give them my attention or money. Earlier this year, a couple friends and I had a contest for a Matt Patricia nickname. Mine: The Round Clown of Confound.

I won.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Lions not using a search firm.
Wolverines extending Harbaugh.

The Wings better start winning soon, if only to balance out the increasing idiocy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad