OT: Michigan Sports Thread: The 1-3 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Received an early Christmas present. A binder of Tigers, Lions and Wings cards. They were at a garage sale or antique store (forgot which). The Tigers cards are my favorite of the bunch all being from the early to mid 70's. Bill Freehan, Jim Northrup, Mickey Lolich and Gates Brown among them. Wings and Lions were all mid 90's. Barry and Yzerman among the lot. Merry Christmas indeed.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Spielman and Barry hired to be advisors for the GM hiring (and possibly stay on afterwards?), seems like Sheila has more of brain than previous leadership. We'll see if that helps, but Spielman definitel seemsto know football and understands Detroit

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Received an early Christmas present. A binder of Tigers, Lions and Wings cards. They were at a garage sale or antique store (forgot which). The Tigers cards are my favorite of the bunch all being from the early to mid 70's. Bill Freehan, Jim Northrup, Mickey Lolich and Gates Brown among them. Wings and Lions were all mid 90's. Barry and Yzerman among the lot. Merry Christmas indeed.
Upload some pics!

Reactions: Winger98

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Upload some pics!
20201215_163910.jpg 20201215_163948.jpg 20201215_164002.jpg 20201215_164017.jpg

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Derrick Henry is going to have a huge day today and I am not in my fantasy league playoffs. Tis a bummer. I needed this match-up last week. On the bright side I am in a "bowl game" against a friend with prizes on the line. The bounty? Glad you asked. To the winner goes a Joey Harrington McFarlane, nearly 2,000 Serbian dinars and 2 issues of MAD Magazine from '86.

Had my hopes on betting on a few games in Detroit but COVID-19 has thrown a wrench in everything. I have been stuck in Fremont since last weekend. Nice town. The folks moved here in the spring.

Back in September I was hoping for hockey be it Red Wings, Kalamazoo Wings or Muskegon Lumberjacks but left with nothing.

This year has been a turd. Here's to a better '21 especially for Michigan sports.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Here's how much I follow baseball:

I had no idea who that player is, and at first glance thought you were giving an update on Tyler Johnson from the Lightning. :laugh:

Alex Faedo now has Tyler Johnson surgically attached to his elbow.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Wtf, man? There has been a terrible run of bright young pitchers coming here and going down with pretty serious injuries: Norris, Fulmer, Perez, off the top of my head...now Faedo?! Man, what bad juju!

Matt Anderson and Zumaya from the generation before.

It is why Dombrowski always accumulates so many power arms, he knows a bunch are going to blow out.

Reactions: Winger98

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Matt Anderson and Zumaya from the generation before.

It is why Dombrowski always accumulates so many power arms, he knows a bunch are going to blow out.

yep, just goes with the territory of throwing a baseball that hard. I think that was one of the early concerns with how Avila drafted to rebuild this team - pitchers just break down more often and are a bit more of a risk to spend draft capital on, and Avila really spent a lot of it.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009

I actually like the idea of all four teams having a momentary alternate jersey in one of the other Detroit team's colors. Yeah, it's gimmicky but that's kind of the point. I bet it would sell more jerseys than whatever hell they call this year's trash.

Reactions: mantha39

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
I actually like the idea of all four teams having a momentary alternate jersey in one of the other Detroit team's colors. Yeah, it's gimmicky but that's kind of the point. I bet it would sell more jerseys than whatever hell they call this year's trash.

I like it too for some reason lol

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Yes, though with matching equipment necessary to do that (unless they just did it as a warmup jersey like they do with the military stuff) I am not sure how much of a hassle that is for the teams to coordinate.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Wtf, man? There has been a terrible run of bright young pitchers coming here and going down with pretty serious injuries: Norris, Fulmer, Perez, off the top of my head...now Faedo?! Man, what bad juju!
yep, just goes with the territory of throwing a baseball that hard. I think that was one of the early concerns with how Avila drafted to rebuild this team - pitchers just break down more often and are a bit more of a risk to spend draft capital on, and Avila really spent a lot of it.
Being an old guy, I have attributed many arm problems with the lowering of the pitchers mound a long time ago. It changed the release point putting added pressure on one's arm or so I have read

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
Alright, I'm calling for a complete abandonment of Native American imagery in sports team nicknames and logos, as a result of George Floyd.

One such change would be of the Central Michigan Chippewas, who could change their nickname to the Cherries (a fruit serves as a major export from Michigan). They already have a color, maroon, that would befit the Cherries nickname.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Alright, I'm calling for a complete abandonment of Native American imagery in sports team nicknames and logos, as a result of George Floyd.

One such change would be of the Central Michigan Chippewas, who could change their nickname to the Cherries (a fruit serves as a major export from Michigan). They already have a color, maroon, that would befit the Cherries nickname.
As a Central Michigan alum, that team name isn't changing anytime soon. The university and tribe have a great relationship.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona

You will be as successful as Z Man's pro wrestling career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad