Someone check on HK :laugh:

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Detroit Free Press (PayWall)

Tid-bits:
Jobe’s high school stats are ridiculous: He walked just five batters during his senior year while striking out 122 in 51⅔ innings, posting a 0.14 ERA and a 9-0 record.
They could have taken Mayer, a shortstop from California. Not only is Mayer considered the best hitter in this draft, he’s also the best fielder. Considering the Tigers have a desperate need for bats, as well as shortstops — it would have made sense.
Jobe, who won’t turn 19 until later this month, has a 99 mph fastball and a wicked slider that is MLB ready. He is a tremendous athlete, who played quarterback and shortstop. And he has a strong bloodline and mental makeup — his father is a professional golfer.
"Jackson's a special talent and a great makeup kid," said Tigers director of amateur scouting Scott Pleis. "Plus tools across the board. Control, command, life to his fastball, just really the total package which we rarely ever see in high school baseball."
The key word is rare.
"The total package," Pleis said. "He's an athlete. He already has four pitches, four plus pitches. Life to his pitches, command to his pitches. When you add it all up, I probably can't count on one hand how many times I saw a high school pitcher with his advanced ability at this point."

Reactions: jaster

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
There was a rumor that Jobe had an underslot deal with the Tigers, but letting Mayer slide for this? It is much too early, but this draft could feel really painful if things do not work out properly...

Gruß,
BSHH

Yeah, sounds like the Tigers were considering two different draft strategies....

One where they went with picking the best talent on the board, which is why they were so high on Mayer....

Or one where they attempted this more strategic under slot strategy so they could draft better talent later on, which is why they were linked so hard to Jobe and House, two guys who likely sign for less at #3.

Obviously, they ended up going with the latter strategy. I don't know. I still like Jobe's upside, but I can't say I like the strategy much. Especially since they went with the "best talent" strategy last year and that draft looks very good. Meanwhile, they went with the "under slot" strategy in 2017 and that draft was an unmitigated disaster.

Time will tell, but for now the Tigers, according to MLB.com, have managed to draft two top-10 talents with their first two picks, so there's that.

Reactions: Winger98

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Love Pitching…used every pick on a bat last draft even if it was a small draft…took a guy who most likely play a corner infield spot, which was a head scratcher wen they took 3 last summer…and when people on here became GM’s of a Major League Baseball Team they can pick whoever they want…goes for all sports and no use being butt hurt over nothing you can control…understand?? If not then that’s your problem

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Love Pitching…used every pick on a bat last draft even if it was a small draft…took a guy who most likely play a corner infield spot, which was a head scratcher wen they took 3 last summer…and when people on here became GM’s of a Major League Baseball Team they can pick whoever they want…goes for all sports and no use being butt hurt over nothing you can control…understand?? If not then that’s your problem

Nothing about what you just said makes any sense as to why picking a whole bunch of pitchers is a positive thing

Reactions: Konnan511

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Wait, are you saying we can't be ticked off about a draft pick? And then you are saying if something happens in our life that was out of our control we aren't allowed to be upset by that either? What Boomer shit is that lol.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Wait, are you saying we can't be ticked off about a draft pick? And then you are saying if something happens in our life that was out of our control we aren't allowed to be upset by that either? What Boomer shit is that lol.
There’s another pitcher…you can do whatever the hell you want…it’s not gonna change the draft picks…get all misty eyed you want

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I honestly think that this is just Michigan homerism at it's absolute worst because of Fetter's ties to Michigan.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
There’s another pitcher…you can do whatever the hell you want…it’s not gonna change the draft picks…get all misty eyed you want
But there are also financial implications for year after year of using draft capital on pitching. It's great to build a rotation with added depth, and to a point you can help the lineup in free agency, but if you take it too far to the extreme then eventually you create too many holes in the lineup to fix (even if you trade a pitcher here and there).

More pitchers than hitters is fine. So is vice versa. But essentially ignoring either facet in the draft is asking for trouble.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I honestly think that this is just Michigan homerism at it's absolute worst because of Fetter's ties to Michigan.

Oh shit, I forgot about the Michigan connection.... scratch all my previous criticisms of this draft, I'm all in now, please pick 14 more pitchers! :naughty:

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Remind me here, please- Lions fans were generally happy with their latest draft, right? Tigers fans are, what, lukewarm?

I mostly can't wait for and am slightly dreading July 23-24.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig