OT: Michigan Sports Thread: The 1-3 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
...I'm so nervous...
May your evening be filled with energy, excitement, and celebration...

e4h8fv1uyaylj2l.jpg

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
The Ringer is hyping Evan Mobley today. Any reason to select him over Cunningham? Last time Pistons went vertical they passed on 3 players they regretted. For the record this thread is the most NBA commentary (other than the linked article) I have read in decades. Will try to see the Pistons in Phoenix this season. Watched some basketball in the Finals with all the hoopla there was here.
There’s No Prospect Like Evan Mobley

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
The Ringer is hyping Evan Mobley today. Any reason to select him over Cunningham? Last time Pistons went vertical they passed on 3 players they regretted. For the record this thread is the most NBA commentary (other than the linked article) I have read in decades. Will try to see the Pistons in Phoenix this season. Watched some basketball in the Finals with all the hoopla there was here.

Depends on what reasons you are searching for.

Pistons have put resources into the back court in the last year. Hayes, Diallo, Jackson, Bey, Lee, Smith Jr.

They don't have a modern era stretch big anywhere in their organization. Mobley isn't likely to be an Anthony Davis level big that looks natural on the ball and from distance, but he's closer to that than say Andre Drummond was. There's a "reason" it could make sense, but in this era of basketball, you have to go with the most talented player that is going to potentially attract the most outside talent to come to your city.

If the Pistons win the lottery only to bail on Cunningham, many people will view it as a mistake that can never be corrected.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Is Cade a Franchise changing player like we've seen with some of the guys in the past, or is he just a really good player that will help when we got other major pieces?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

No. There is a 0% chance that they draft Mobley. They need to sell stories and "Pistons take the presumptive #1OA with the #1OA after being mocked to take him at #1OA since they won the lottery" isn't really a story.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Is Cade a Franchise changing player like we've seen with some of the guys in the past, or is he just a really good player that will help when we got other major pieces?
I'm not a big NBA guy but this is what The Athletic's Draft Guide says about him:
Cunningham is one of the more complete prospects to come through the draft process in a while. There aren’t many holes to his game. He’s a three-level scorer now because of his shooting improvement. He hits 40 percent from 3 and finishes at the rim. He can make high-level passing reads and plays unselfishly. He defends at a high level. He’s a high-character player. He’s clutch and loves the biggest moments, with a proven track record of success during them. He has elite size for the role he’ll play. There is a case that he is the most bust-proof prospect to enter the NBA in a long while. The worst-case scenario for Cunningham is high-level wing creator who can shoot and make high-level passing reads while defending. It’s reasonable to quibble with his upside athletically, as he may struggle more against elite-level NBA defenders with size and length to match his own. But there aren’t a ton of those guys in the NBA. If you wanted to say a different player in this draft has the highest upside, I wouldn’t agree, but I’d at least understand. But there is no higher floor in this class, and Cunningham’s upside is legitimately being a top-five player in the league at some point given how complete his game is.

Reactions: BSHH and jkutswings

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC

I'm obviously a somewhat biased narrator here, but I think even most neutrals would say that Cade has the potential to be a franchise player on a competitive team. This is considered a very good draft class, the second and third overall prospects would likely challenge for #1 other years, and Cade is the pretty clear front-runner.

In hockey terms I'd say we're certainly not talking about a McDavid year, but this is closer to an Auston Matthews draft than an Owen Power draft.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

Yeah he is a franchise changing player

Would be pretty awesome to somehow get Ben Simmons and draft Cade. Instant turn around.

I don’t think we have enough assets for him and I wouldn’t trade them if we did either. Simmons is like a #3 option on a championship team.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
I'm obviously a somewhat biased narrator here, but I think even most neutrals would say that Cade has the potential to be a franchise player on a competitive team. This is considered a very good draft class, the second and third overall prospects would likely challenge for #1 other years, and Cade is the pretty clear front-runner.

In hockey terms I'd say we're certainly not talking about a McDavid year, but this is closer to an Auston Matthews draft than an Owen Power draft.

Yeah he is a franchise changing player

I don’t think we have enough assets for him and I wouldn’t trade them if we did either. Simmons is like a #3 option on a championship team.
How far off are the Pistons from contending with Cade in the fold?

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

That depends how far the rookies (Bey, Stewart, Hayes) develop. I think the play in tournament is 10 teams? So i think they could contend for that if Cade isn’t a bust. For competing for an NBA title id say probably 3 years if Bey and Stewart are stars.

Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC

The East is weaker so I think we could be in the mix for a play-in spot next year. It's still a pretty raw young team though. I don't think it'd be the end of the world if we have another year of building and add another top 10 or so pick. The Blake Griffin buyout ends next summer so that gives us a lot more capspace to work with on top of progress from the kids.

But yeah, I think in 2-3 years we could be in the mix as like a 4-6 seed in the East, playing competitive basketball again.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I think this year is for the youth to gel. Next year, with the right free agent addition, the Pistons can start the real climb.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

I've read hes the best prospect in the last decade, since Anthony Davis. Zion had a lot of hype because he went to Duke and had the flashy highlight reel, bullying guys down low. But for the role he plays in the NBA he was a little on the small side and he isnt a threat with his shot. Seems like Cunningham is essentially a stud in every facet of the game

Reactions: Konnan511
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad