OT: Michigan Sports Thread: The 1-3 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Lyn Henning was on the hook and said assuming Mayer and Leiter go 1-2 the Tigers are leaning SS Brady House or RHP Jackson Jobe…both High Schoolers. Draft Sunday Night. Thought if the first 2 went that way they’d take Lawler

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I know all you baseball fans hang out in this thread. I forgot I was going to the Tigers game so I'm at the game now and have no idea about these teams.

So if you guys could give me something insightful to say to the group, that would be clutch.

Reactions: BSHH

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I know all you baseball fans hang out in this thread. I forgot I was going to the Tigers game so I'm at the game now and have no idea about these teams.

So if you guys could give me something insightful to say to the group, that would be clutch.
Where are you sitting?

159234515_10226103652482888_3719762995702754749_n.jpg

Reactions: Bench

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona

If you want to venture into a deeper Tigers/Twins dive you can mention when Billy Martin punched out his own player, Dave Boswell, at the Lindell AC.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009

Here's a conversation starter, haha.

2014-04-01-ballparkproposalinfo4114.jpg

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
The MLB draft is about to start, hoping for Mayer or Davis. I’m not going to pretend I know a lot about these prospects, but I would be disappointed with a pitcher at the 3rd pick (but if it has to be a pitcher it better be Leiter). Honestly it’s kind of similar to the NHL draft where there are a lot of kids grouped together, not much of a consensus. Give me a position player and a center or defensemen please and thank you.

Reactions: BSHH

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
The MLB draft is about to start, hoping for Mayer or Davis. I’m not going to pretend I know a lot about these prospects, but I would be disappointed with a pitcher at the 3rd pick (but if it has to be a pitcher it better be Leiter). Honestly it’s kind of similar to the NHL draft where there are a lot of kids grouped together, not much of a consensus. Give me a position player and a center or defensemen please and thank you.
Mayer gets unanimous praise (although he rose mostly after the season), so he would be my favorite pick with Leiter just behind. But that’s just hope.

The Tigers seem to be zeroing in on Jobe or House. I’d prefer the latter, but Lawlar much more. However, I guess it will be House at #3.

Gruß,
BSHH

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
someone on twitter scooped the 1st overall pick like 10 minutes before it happened :laugh:

edit: added tweet

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
Well I would disagree wholeheartedly with Kileys Detroit prospect strengths and needs. Don’t overthink this Avila, take Mayer. Edit : lol took Jobe. I can understand this if they sign Story, Correa, or Baez. Otherwise Avila just lost one of his last supporters.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I don’t know why we even try anymore.

It’s like Dombrowski never left. Just power right hander after power right hander after power right hander after power right hander.

At least we can split Tork and Greene to fill all positions in the lineup.

Reactions: ricky0034

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
There was a rumor that Jobe had an underslot deal with the Tigers, but letting Mayer slide for this? It is much too early, but this draft could feel really painful if things do not work out properly...

Gruß,
BSHH

Reactions: ricky0034

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
HS arms are risky, and Jobe is no exception, but his upside is incredible. I was surprised Detroit took him with Mayer still available, since Mayer was rumored to be first on their board all year, but they didn't scout anyone as much as those two, so it's safe to say they were 1-2. I figured all along House was their backup plan in a situation where Mayer-Jobe went 1-2.

We won't know for years if Jobe over Mayer was a mistake, but for now I'm not too mad. Jobe has very special talent. Could easily be better than all of Mize, Skubal, and Manning in the end.

Reactions: Winger98

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
I don’t know why we even try anymore.

It’s like Dombrowski never left. Just power right hander after power right hander after power right hander after power right hander.

At least we can split Tork and Greene to fill all positions in the lineup.

Avila has a lot of work to do before you ever compare him to Dombrowski. Between a crazy long layoff and a Ortiz grand slam Dombrowski could really have two titles with the Tigers. The only thing I’m mad at with him is the inability to develop a bullpen. His calling card was wheeling and dealing, which he did very well.

Reactions: Ricelund

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
i'm normally all about upside picks but I gotta say even aside from the whole Mayer thing it feels like a weird time to be essentially making the riskiest move they can

unless something goes horribly wrong the Tigers won't have a pick nearly this high again for a long time so it seems pretty important to hit on it

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Avila has a lot of work to do before you ever compare him to Dombrowski. Between a crazy long layoff and a Ortiz grand slam Dombrowski could really have two titles with the Tigers. The only thing I’m mad at with him is the inability to develop a bullpen. His calling card was wheeling and dealing, which he did very well.

No I’m pretty spot on with my comparison to Dombrowski when it comes to this isolated topic of the draft. The Tigers have notoriously been suckers for drafting hard throwing pitchers early.

2004: Justin Verlander
2006: Andrew Miller
2007: Rick Porcello
2008: Ryan Perry
2009: Jacob Turner
2010: Chance Ruffin
2013: Jonathon Crawford
2015: Beau Burrows
2016: Matt Manning
2017: Alex Faedo
2018: Casey Mize
2021: Jackson Jobe

They’ve even been infatuated by pitchers when dealing in the rebuild. Franklin Perez, Matt Boyd, Daniel Norris, Joey Wentz, Alex Lange, Paul Richan, etc.

We’ve stockpiled pitchers forever. Hell I saw a tweet that said they think Jobe is more polished than Josh Beckett was as a prospect. This is the same team that employed a scouting staff that thought Mike Pelfrey passed the eye test and deserved a contract.

I will spend more time diving into Jobe; my athletic background before anything else was pitching. My outrage is more pointed at the fact that we have zero positional diversity in the pipeline. If you were going to pick a prep player, it should have been a bat.

Manning was our last prep arm and it took 5 years to make an appearance in the bigs. And he hasn’t looked special in doing so, so you’re looking at another year or two before he hits his stride. If I’m going to sign up for a 3+ (generous) year timeline, give me a shortstop that can pound the ball. I don’t have anything that resembles that profile in the pipeline.

Reactions: jkutswings

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
No I’m pretty spot on with my comparison to Dombrowski when it comes to this isolated topic of the draft. The Tigers have notoriously been suckers for drafting hard throwing pitchers early.

2004: Justin Verlander
2006: Andrew Miller
2007: Rick Porcello
2008: Ryan Perry
2009: Jacob Turner
2010: Chance Ruffin
2013: Jonathon Crawford
2015: Beau Burrows
2016: Matt Manning
2017: Alex Faedo
2018: Casey Mize
2021: Jackson Jobe

They’ve even been infatuated by pitchers when dealing in the rebuild. Franklin Perez, Matt Boyd, Daniel Norris, Joey Wentz, Alex Lange, Paul Richan, etc.

We’ve stockpiled pitchers forever. Hell I saw a tweet that said they think Jobe is more polished than Josh Beckett was as a prospect. This is the same team that employed a scouting staff that thought Mike Pelfrey passed the eye test and deserved a contract.

I will spend more time diving into Jobe; my athletic background before anything else was pitching. My outrage is more pointed at the fact that we have zero positional diversity in the pipeline. If you were going to pick a prep player, it should have been a bat.

Manning was our last prep arm and it took 5 years to make an appearance in the bigs. And he hasn’t looked special in doing so, so you’re looking at another year or two before he hits his stride. If I’m going to sign up for a 3+ (generous) year timeline, give me a shortstop that can pound the ball. I don’t have anything that resembles that profile in the pipeline.

Understood, though I will say the first 3 names on the list aren’t nobody’s, and the last few are too early to tell. But I wholeheartedly agree, needed a position player. As you alluded to earlier, Torkelsen and Greene are the only notable prospects in the system, with a lot of high profile pitchers. Makes me hope they have a handshake agreement or know they are in on one of the high end shortstops.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Well I would disagree wholeheartedly with Kileys Detroit prospect strengths and needs. Don’t overthink this Avila, take Mayer. Edit : lol took Jobe. I can understand this if they sign Story, Correa, or Baez. Otherwise Avila just lost one of his last supporters.

Jobe is no more of a risk than Mayer. Let's get that out of the way right now.

But this does signal two things to me:

1) Not only did Detroit really like Jobe and believe his upside is that high, they are saving money for the comp pick.

2) They are opening up the wallet more this winter. Possibly with SS their primary target.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
HS arms are risky, and Jobe is no exception, but his upside is incredible. I was surprised Detroit took him with Mayer still available, since Mayer was rumored to be first on their board all year, but they didn't scout anyone as much as those two, so it's safe to say they were 1-2. I figured all along House was their backup plan in a situation where Mayer-Jobe went 1-2.

We won't know for years if Jobe over Mayer was a mistake, but for now I'm not too mad. Jobe has very special talent. Could easily be better than all of Mize, Skubal, and Manning in the end.

Dont know much about Jobe at all but just reading some articles, hes only been pitching full time for a year and his slider is hitting like 3300 rpm. Apparently last year Trevor Bauer averaged like 2900 and this kid after a year of pitching is already beating that. Sounds like extremely high upside and theres a few teams that passed on the short stops for some reason.

Will be interesting to see what happens but theres definitely high reward to go with the risk

Reactions: jaster

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Shocker. A hard throwing RHP.

Tigers watched Carey Price have some success this year and said “we can win if we never give up runs”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad