OT: Michigan Sports Thread: The 1-3 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Obe2kenobe

Mar 23, 2014
U.P.
In Newaygo County on Xfinity there is EPL. I am mighty pissed regardless of score. All of MI should be able to watch.

Yeah kinda dumb it’s not available everywhere in MI. But I’m more pissed at the state of the lions that Quinn and Patricia left the lions. The defense is atrocious, hard to think they’re gonna be back to the level they were when they canned Caldwell anytime soon.
What a pathetic piece of shit organization.
Rebuilding since 1957.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Yeah kinda dumb it’s not available everywhere in MI. But I’m more pissed at the state of the lions that Quinn and Patricia left the lions. The defense is atrocious, hard to think they’re gonna be back to the level they were when they canned Caldwell anytime soon.
What a pathetic piece of shit organization.
Rebuilding since 1957.
Patricia's old comments about "needs a lot of work" and "cupboard is bare" is now actually true because of him. I think I have mentioned this on the forum before but a few weeks ago I read a Belichick bio and Patricia makes more sense now. I can see what he was trying to replicate but was lacking a lot of the tools and resources Belichick has. The system Belichick has in place is deeper than himself which is why no one can replicate elsewhere.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
Patricia's old comments about "needs a lot of work" and "cupboard is bare" is now actually true because of him. I think I have mentioned this on the forum before but a few weeks ago I read a Belichick bio and Patricia makes more sense now. I can see what he was trying to replicate but was lacking a lot of the tools and resources Belichick has. The system Belichick has in place is deeper than himself which is why no one can replicate elsewhere.
Thank you for sharing that thought - it sounds to me as if Patricia tried to emulate Belichick's behavior, thinking that such conduct would bring success. I'd say that Belichick's success makes such behavior tolerable, but since I do not wear a pencil behind my ear, I am certainly not qualified at all.

Gruß,
BSHH

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Sheila needs to put the refs on blast. Enough is enough. Yeah, the Lions blow but this garbage has been happening for years and it has impacted results on the field. More and more are tuning out the NFL and the "rigged" narrative grows each year.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I gave up the NFL a couple years ago. Don't care about the Lions anymore. The organization has made 99% of their bad luck. But holy smokes, the other 1%, these calls over the years.... muh god. I do feel bad for the players. I can't believe how many times Detroit has been boned by just some of the worst calls in all of sports.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I just don't understand what he's supposed to do. I guess the ref called it for "driving him into the ground" but it looked more like it was part of him rolling off of him. Just horrendous. I'm a Packers fan so it doesn't matter either way, I just hate how terrible and inconsistent nfl reffing is.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Yeah, I didn't watch the game today. Glad I did because that would have pissed me off to see.

I hope more and more fans start taking my tack on this and stop watching the games if they're gonna call shit like this.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I just hate how terrible and inconsistent nfl reffing is.

That's the crux of it. It's all over the map game to game.

On one hand, I sympathize with the refs. In real time on the field with 22 guys running around this is incredibly difficult to call correctly all the time. The rules can be quite subjective at times and making that judgement on the fly is sometimes impossible.

The sport certainly lends itself to more calls coming from instant replay. But they want to avoid that at all costs as the game can feel slow enough already.

On the other hand, current reffing sucks.

I'm not sure of a good solution. I don't believe all NFL refs are incompetent. I think they get put into impossible positions often. And of course sometimes they are just human and goof.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
On one hand, I sympathize with the refs. In real time on the field with 22 guys running around this is incredibly difficult to call correctly all the time. The rules can be quite subjective at times and making that judgement on the fly is sometimes impossible.
I agree is most cases. The Lions, however, have a peculiar history with arbitrary calls and incompetence at best. For me it starts with the "Process of the Catch", a rule that I had never seen called before, that players had never seen called before, that commentators had never seen called before and the Lions get an apology letter and rule change.

There's the game against Seattle where a Seattle player (Chancellor IIRC) bats the ball out of bounds right in front of a ref and it isn't called.

Playoffs against Dallas where the refs pick up a flag after Dez Bryant runs onto the field (without a helmet to boot) and stumps for the flag to be picked up.

Last year in Green Bay where the refs flat out fabricated two penalties against the same player (Desmond Howard even called for Blakeman to be investigated by the NFL) and to rub salt on the would Blakeman gets another Lions assignment and don't get me started on that Phantom Facemask against Green Bay a few years back. Lions botched the Hail Mary as I knew they would but if going the other way that would never have been called. Of than I am convinced.

Walt Coleman was never assigned another Raiders game after The Tuck Rule and yet the Lions get the same crews that jobbed them over and over. It drives me nuts.

Reactions: 40BayStreet

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Last year in Green Bay where the refs flat out fabricated two penalties against the same player (Desmond Howard even called for Blakeman to be investigated by the NFL) and to rub salt on the would Blakeman gets another Lions assignment and don't get me started on that Phantom Facemask against Green Bay a few years back. Lions botched the Hail Mary as I knew they would but if going the other way that would never have been called. Of than I am convinced.

I can't speak to everything you said, but this snippet here shows me you're suffering from victim syndrome.

Of the calls against Flowers, one was correct and one was not. I know, that's difficult to stomach, but there's video of him with his hands up on one of those calls exactly as the penalty should be called. The other was called wrong and I'll admit that all day. But the fact you're so devoted to corruption and investigating the ref rather than realize that guy made a mistake on one and made a call you didn't like on the other... Yeah. That series blew up on social media because the anouncer went off about it during the game, but on second look, it wasn't nearly as egregious as first glance.

You're so in your head about the refs conspiring against the Lions you don't realize this is happening around the league every single week. The Lions just have a history, because they've been kinda bad, of being behind or in close games where the calls are mentally amplified.

Nobody talks about the bad call against the Chiefs when they are up by 20.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Happy they lost (draft stock). As for the refs, the only question I have is whether the NFL is still only using part time referees, instead of paying them year round and having annual training and performance reviews.

At bare minimum, a pro league should do a pro job at preparing their officials.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Happy they lost (draft stock). As for the refs, the only question I have is whether the NFL is still only using part time referees, instead of paying them year round and having annual training and performance reviews.

At bare minimum, a pro league should do a pro job at preparing their officials.

These guys have been reffing lower leagues for many years before they ever sniff the NFL. The prep is pretty extensive.

They already make over $200,000 a year so I'm not sure what "full-time" status would do to encourage better calls. It's the nature of trying to make these decisions on the fly, not lack of preparation.

The biggest issue is the refusal for the league to allow more replays. Full stop. If you watch old game footage, this kind of stuff has been in the NFL forever. The difference is the league made dozens of new safety rules to protect players and the QB, while also trying to open up scoring. When you have more subjective rules than ever, made by guys on field level, with 22 huge bodies, and the game has never been faster... You get blown calls.

There's also more camera and replay coverage than ever, leading us to seeing way more blown calls that we previously did not. More confirmation bias that's it's "worse."

I think we're tasking NFL refs with an impossible job. You kind of accept that calls are going to sway good and bad all season and hope they level out. For consistency, I would hope the NFL would continue to expand fast replay reviews and the types of plays that are reviewed.

Expecting humans to just "do better" isn't going to fix anything. But we can correct our flaws with technology.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Expecting humans to just "do better" isn't going to fix anything. But we can correct our flaws with technology.
That's fair. But I'm not aware of an honest effort to really use that technology for its fullest benefit.

The NFL is a license to print money. If "getting it right" was actually a priority, they could do things like have refs attend summer academies, where they could see game footage at real speed from a hundred perspectives, differentiating between what is and isn't holding (or PI, or whatever call you like). They could run simulations in VR or adapt automated driving equipment to analyze the angle a person's eyes see the game from or throw the latest tech at this a dozen different ways...but I think they'd rather pocket those funds and say "close is close enough".

Am I really all that outraged about the current state of officiating? No. But paying your commissioner $40M a year and then half-assing it in other areas is definitely hypocrisy.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Very Happy Harbaugh is back. Glad Brown is gone and can’t wait to see who’s brought in as OC
Sounds like former player and Detroit High School Coach Ronald Bellamy might be coming aboard as a Coach...will help a ton with Michigan Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad