OT: Michigan Sports Thread: The 1-3 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
It's obvious that Europeans like me do not fully get all those college rivalries. And also, as I learned the hard way myself, the Lions gonna Lion.

However, I was still expecting some comments about the Lions' new hire as GM. Without knowing anything about Holmes, at least I am relieved that the Lions withstood to stupidly hire a HC before a GM. When I take a look at the roster remembering how many high draft picks the Lions had been awarded, I will also add that for technical reasons alone it must be easier to be better than Quinn than to be even worse.

Gruß,
BSHH

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
It's obvious that Europeans like me do not fully get all those college rivalries. And also, as I learned the hard way myself, the Lions gonna Lion.

However, I was still expecting some comments about the Lions' new hire as GM. Without knowing anything about Holmes, at least I am relieved that the Lions withstood to stupidly hire a HC before a GM. When I take a look at the roster remembering how many high draft picks the Lions had been awarded, I will also add that for technical reasons alone it must be easier to be better than Quinn than to be even worse.

Gruß,
BSHH

I think the reason you don’t see any comments is because people just don’t know much about him, and after the Quinn hire, nobody wants to have an opinion one way or another. The last regime broke people mentally, and now we are sitting here just saying “let’s just wait and see if they got it right.”

Holmes seems like a decent football mind. He’s been a part of some good draft classes for the Rams; that’s a reason alone to be more confident than we were for Quinn. We don’t have to hear statements like “I’ve watched more game film on Teez Tabor than I have any player” or hear the rumors that the entire scouting department wanted someone other than Jeff Okudah, but Quinn stepped in and overruled them.

If we hear that Holmes likes Player X in the draft, we can feel a lot more comfortable in Player X

Reactions: jkutswings

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018
Meh. Ohio is still a toilet.
I cannot disagree with you. I was in Columbus a few years ago on a sales call. I went to dinner at a brewpub on High St. When I got back to my car, it looked like a glazed donut from all the spit (forgot about the MI plates). I sent pics to my boss, and we decided it'd be better next time if I stopped in Toledo on the way down to expense out a rental. That's some disgusting shit right there.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Holmes has a long pedigree as a scout and is responsible for some of the best draft picks the Rams have made. His call landed Aaron Donald while the Lions were drafting Eric Ebron. He is also reported to have a temperament that is suitable for the Lions now. Willing to hear the input of others instead of "my way of the highway" attitude. I like the hire.

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018
I think the reason you don’t see any comments is because people just don’t know much about him, and after the Quinn hire, nobody wants to have an opinion one way or another. The last regime broke people mentally, and now we are sitting here just saying “let’s just wait and see if they got it right.”

Holmes seems like a decent football mind. He’s been a part of some good draft classes for the Rams; that’s a reason alone to be more confident than we were for Quinn. We don’t have to hear statements like “I’ve watched more game film on Teez Tabor than I have any player” or hear the rumors that the entire scouting department wanted someone other than Jeff Okudah, but Quinn stepped in and overruled them.

If we hear that Holmes likes Player X in the draft, we can feel a lot more comfortable in Player X
He apparently blew both interviews right out of the water. I really hope he's the guy, but I won't get my hopes up only to have them crushed and killed in a fiery wreck.

Reactions: jkutswings

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Holmes has a long pedigree as a scout and is responsible for some of the best draft picks the Rams have made. His call landed Aaron Donald while the Lions were drafting Eric Ebron. He is also reported to have a temperament that is suitable for the Lions now. Willing to hear the input of others instead of "my way of the highway" attitude. I like the hire.

I was hoping for someone with some GM experience just so that you dont end up with a potential Quinn situation with a new guy doing the job. I actually think Quinn was doing alright until the Patricia hire though. However, with hiring a fresh GM, if youre going to take a flyer on a guy I would take the draft guru everytime. By the sounds of it they got one. Rams have drafted 13 starters on a playoff team without a first round pick the last 4 years and this guy is the main reason.

I'm cautiously optimistic but like the idea of a draft guy over anything else and I like that hes young and on the cutting edge of technology and things like that.

Sounds like Dan Campbell is going to be the coaching hire. The Lions are going to be so young on their staff. Average age of like 42 or something between their head coach and gm seems pretty crazy

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
Keep hoping the Tigers would make bigger inroads on the international front. Was really hoping they would have went hard after that south korean infielder the Padres signed, but oh well.
That is exactly what I am thinking, too. Kim would have made lots of sense for the Tigers, who will likely need a SS next year since W. Castro seems to lack the necessary defensive skills. San Diego granted Kim a rather cheap deal, which made me even sadder & madder.

Among the Latin American IFAs, Yoelqi Céspedes seemed to be a good fit, but the Tigers obviously chose to sign guys which are generally ranked lower. I know that prospect rankings are subjective, certainly no end-all be-all measure and among IFAs have to be taken with an additional grain of salt, but it really stings that teams like the Rays or the Dodger sign IFA prospects with better projections each and every year.

The most painful part has been the development process, though. Those few Latino IFAs who made it through the Tigers systems were often dealt away (like Suarez and Adames). All this must improve massively.

Gruß,
BSHH

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
View attachment 384207
Somebody's happy about this.

I wouldn’t go as far to say that I’m happy about bringing him back, but I can see some of the logic in it. Not very enamored with the list of available coaches, and Michigan cannot afford another Brady Hoke situation I.E. someone in way over their head.

The way his contract is set up gives me the hope they are putting out feelers and getting a plan A,B, and C for life after Harbaugh. Being from Iowa and seeing what Matt Campbell has been able to do in Ames, he would be my slam dunk dream hire.

Another thing that is being overlooked is this was going to be a retooling/rebuild year for Michigan anyway, and with the pandemic/opt-outs it was a perfect storm of crap. Not making excuses for this year, it was definitely not acceptable. But making a change just for the sake of it with no plan is a great way to set the program back another decade.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Well... Can never get enough Lions torture. Thoughts on our new GM and coaching duo?

Also curious if Stafford has played his last game at Ford Field. I expect him back.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Well... Can never get enough Lions torture. Thoughts on our new GM and coaching duo?

Also curious if Stafford has played his last game at Ford Field. I expect him back.

Dont love the lack of experience but young guys have been successful lately. If they have a young gm though I'm glad its a guy known for his drafting.

I like that Campbell seems like a Vrabel type and will be a leader who can command a room and be respected. Lack of experience as a coordinator is concerning but if you plan on hiring coordinators to do a job it shouldnt be that big of a deal. It would be nice to get a little more experience on the staff but at the same time, its more important to get the right guy for the job.

I'm cautiously optimistic and a lot of lions fans bitching about this hire are conveniently forgetting what happened when the lions last hired the hottest coaching name on the market

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
There is reason to have doubt and concern when we have a rookie GM, rookie HC and rookie DC all cutting their teeth at the same time on one team. Could be pain incoming but if the mix is right this could be the dawn of something new in Detroit. I am cautious but more excited than concerned.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Anyone watching the DC intro presser? If not, catch the replay. This is a must see.

tenor.png

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Wins are far more important than style points. But all other things being equal, I see DC being the most fun Lions coach to listen to in a very long time.

FabricDetails

I know enough to know I know nothing
Mar 30, 2009
Only saw a brief highlight while watching a new introduction. It was definitely entertaining. Hopefully someone on "The YouTube" makes a short and sweet highlights version.

Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
So the Lions took a complete 180, going from non-football guy to maximum football guy.

I love the energy and commitment, not sure its going to work out too well though. Hopefully I'm wrong, it would be nice to want to tune in on Sunday again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->